• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email to Sarkozy

44Brent

imported post

Excellent work by all of those who contacted the City of Bellevue. Unfortunately, I don't think that the police chief and city administrators have the intellectual capacity to think beyond 2-second sound bites. Let me suggest a course of action that the police chief will understand:

1) Concerned tax payers showing up at city council meetings requesting budget cuts for salaries of police officers.

2) Concerned minorities showing up at city council meetings alleging discriminatory conduct by the police chief against blacks/asians/latinos/whites/American Natives/{fill in the blank}.

3) Concerned citizens showing up at city council meetings demanding full audits of mis-allocation of funds controlled by the the police chief.

4) Concerned citizens showing up at city council meetings demanding full audits of slow response times by patrol officers to requests for assistance for 911 calls.

5) A private telephone call or visit by someone to clue the police chief in that this is all happening in response to her unprofessional actions in Olympia, contrary to the best interests of the citizens who pay her salary.

What will happen in response, is that she will bitterly complain far and wide to her police chief friends across the country about how the "evil" gun rights activists "unfairly" tried to scuttle her career as a response to her political activities.

This will represent a learning opportunity for other police chiefs (not only in Washington, but throughout the country) who may be tempted to repeat her mistake.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Ummm didn't you guys write her boss? So they are trying to sidestep the issue by having her give a (to borrow from Workman) nonsense answer? Sounds to me like Sarkozy and her are now trying to sidestep any censure that would apply to her.

Good post Lammo, that just proves what the intended purpose was despite her claims.

Plus she mentioned meeting with the international police chiefs, (who the hell cares what police in other countries feel we should do). If she wasn't there in an official capacity why bring this up.

I would demand a response from the person you wrote the letters too. Just like when you get bad customer service from any employee, you ask for the manager and no longer have to deal with that employee. There is always a bigger boss. Who is the Mayor? He/she might be interested in what is going on in their department.

Dave Workman

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I wonder if the letter would have been more affective addressed to the mayor concerning his chief of police?

Not really. Bellevue has a council-manager form of government and the mayor is largely a ceremonial post. The city manager actually runs the day-to-day ops.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
I wonder if the letter would have been more affective addressed to the mayor concerning his chief of police?

Not really. Bellevue has a council-manager form of government and the mayor is largely a ceremonial post. The city manager actually runs the day-to-day ops.
Interesting thanks for the clarification.

Tawnos

imported post

Squeak wrote:
Tawnos, Do you really think she understood a word you wrote?:uhoh:
I would hope so, as I made the formatting easier to follow in the email. Whether she took the time to read those words which provide half of the basis of the second amendment (the other half being in the anti-federalist papers), I don't know. It seems to me an important historical fact, but others who say "I support the second amendment" often appear to gloss over its very meaning and purpose.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Squeak wrote:
Tawnos, Do you really think she understood a word you wrote?:uhoh:
I would hope so, as I made the formatting easier to follow in the email. Whether she took the time to read those words which provide half of the basis of the second amendment (the other half being in the anti-federalist papers), I don't know. It seems to me an important historical fact, but others who say "I support the second amendment" often appear to gloss over its very meaning and purpose.
True dat!!!!!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pay close attention to what they really say.

"I support the second amendment" BUTyou have to protect the children, or any other phrase they want to use.

You will always here a BUT. That is a tactic someone uses to try to make you believe them when they are misleading and lying about their true motives.

In the case of the Bellevue Police Chief, she only supports the second amendment for her class of citizens. That is LEO and government officials that control the population.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
In the case of the Bellevue Police Chief, she only supports the second amendment for her class of citizens. That is LEO and government officials that control the population.
Not intending to pick on your post, and believe what you are saying her opinion is.

But the second ammendment does not protect the Government or police rights to keep and bear arms. Maybe she needs to be educated that it exists to guarantee/not infringe upon our right to protect ourselves from these agencies.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Not intending to pick on your post, and believe what you are saying her opinion is. correct i am projecting my thoughts on what her opinion would be ( a poor attempt on my part at the ridiculousness of it, and a poor attempt at humor)

But the second ammendment does not protect the Government or police rights to keep and bear arms. Maybe she needs to be educated that it exists to guarantee/not infringe upon our right to protect ourselves from these agencies. correct, she and any other LEO that feel that that power should only exist in their hands need to be educated as to the true purpose of the 2A, we are to be equally armed as the LEO, standing army, etc...

Tawnos

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Pay close attention to what they really say.

"I support the second amendment" BUTyou have to protect the children, or any other phrase they want to use.

You will always here a BUT. That is a tactic someone uses to try to make you believe them when they are misleading and lying about their true motives.

Well, Pillo never put in a "but" (directly), see here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/37185.html

Pillo: I'm just talking about assault weapons today, and I completely -

Roach: The answer is one.

Pillo: completely agree with you about the second amendment rights. I agree with you about the right to bear arms, that any law abiding citizen...

She did implicitly try to portray that "assault weapons" are somehow worse, though.

Dave Workman

imported post

44Brent wrote:
Excellent work by all of those who contacted the City of Bellevue. Unfortunately, I don't think that the police chief and city administrators have the intellectual capacity to think beyond 2-second sound bites. Let me suggest a course of action that the police chief will understand:

1) Concerned tax payers showing up at city council meetings requesting budget cuts for salaries of police officers.

2) Concerned minorities showing up at city council meetings alleging discriminatory conduct by the police chief against blacks/asians/latinos/whites/American Natives/{fill in the blank}.

3) Concerned citizens showing up at city council meetings demanding full audits of mis-allocation of funds controlled by the the police chief.

4) Concerned citizens showing up at city council meetings demanding full audits of slow response times by patrol officers to requests for assistance for 911 calls.

5) A private telephone call or visit by someone to clue the police chief in that this is all happening in response to her unprofessional actions in Olympia, contrary to the best interests of the citizens who pay her salary.

What will happen in response, is that she will bitterly complain far and wide to her police chief friends across the country about how the "evil" gun rights activists "unfairly" tried to scuttle her career as a response to her political activities.

This will represent a learning opportunity for other police chiefs (not only in Washington, but throughout the country) who may be tempted to repeat her mistake.

Well, let's see

Items #2 and #3 involve making allegations that may have no basis in fact. Let's let the other side swim in that pool.

Item #5 would end up in the newspapers and make gun owners look like a bunch of political thugs.

Yeah, she would tell her LE colleagues, and the story would certainly get down to the street cops, and could easily drive a wedge between armed citizens and the police.

I think the letter writing campaign is sufficient.

44Brent

imported post

Items #2 and #3 involve making allegations that may have no basis in fact. Let's let the other side swim in that pool.

I never said make up "baseless" allegations. You have to go find evidence ofwrongdoing first, which means performing surveys, talking to people, and having accountants look at reports.

There is no government agency anywhere that is clean because they are made up of imperfect people.

As far as driving wedges between police and citizens, the Police Chief just did that already.

amlevin

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Since 1990, more American lives have been lost to gun violence than in all the combats fought during the 20th century.
Let's play the "fact check" game.

She claims "more American lives have been lost to gun violence than in all the combats fought during the 20th century"

Fact:

World War I = 16,000,000 Deaths

World War II = 50-72 million Total, 9.7 million military deaths and nobody's sure they found all the graves yet.

Korea = 36,000 Military (no estimate of Civilian Deaths in this)

Vietnam = North Vietnam 1,011,000

South Vietnam 266,000

US 58,000

Most statistics for Gun Deaths place the amount at 10,000-15,000 per year with a great percentage of them being Suicide. In the case of the latter, if not by gun how many other ways will a determined individual be willing to use to "end it all".

If one consults a list of "Causes of Death" in the US, Death by Automobile Accident is WAAAAAAY higher than Deaths by Firearm.

The Bellevue Police Chief would have been more correct if she was speaking out on banning cars rather than "Assault Weapons".

In summary, the Bellevue Police Chief was talking out of her @$$.

erich_kopp

imported post

44brent

The suprime court already ruled that police officers don't even have to respond, and they are not required by law to protect and serve / haven't you noticed that just by looking at their squad cars, It's not on them anymore.

This is why I always vote no on taxes for officers and I don'tdonate money. Like I do for the firefighters of Washington state.

erps

imported post

As far as driving wedges between police and citizens, the Police Chief just did that already.
she wasn't speaking for the police.

erps

imported post

kparker wrote:
erps,

She said she was only speaking for herself, but she dressed in her uniform. Which 'message' are we supposed to believe?

Isn't that the whole point of the letter in this thread, that she "used the color of law" improperly as a private citizen to emphasize her point. She said she was there as a citizen speaking for herself. She acted improperly showing up in uniform IMO.