• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New UOCer in Los Angeles County

oc3068

imported post

Hi first off my name is Justin. I live in LA, where I don't usually see many other UOC people.

I recently acquired my first pistol, which is a Sig P229 .40 S&W. Spend many rounds in firearm training and this gun has not failed to impress me once. I came across this forum last week, and am greatly interested in this whole idea of exercising our 2nd amendment right and self defense. (Heck, I have been mugged twice in the same parking lot near work). I spent some time reading up the laws and posts here, and finally got around to go out to office depot UOC today with another friend.

When I was paying for the voice recorder I purchased, the cash register noticed my firearm and asked "is that thing real?" "are you working in security?" I answered honestly and handed her a pamphlet I downloaded from here, and explained to her the laws concerning firearm carrying.

I must say I felt awkward about this, so did my friend who was UOCing also. Perhaps it will take time, I don't know.

So, any other users here are in the LA area? Are there any UOC meet up events held in this area? If so where can I find such information. Maybe going out with other experienced UOC'ers will help easing the uneasy feeling. :D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Welcome Justin. Thanks for joining our forum.

If you have been reading the forum for long, you will note that the participants are divided. Some are continuing to carry unloaded exposed, while others are standing down until incorporation.

The most recent event in the LA area was, I believe January 4th at Sacred Grounds, where all four UOCr's were detained by LAPD above and beyond the (e) check. Look for the video. I dont believe there are any immediate events planned. Keep checking.

eraseallhope

imported post

I live in the long beach/lakewood are of LA county...

I UOC almost every day somewhere with 0 (e) checks as of yet for about a year and a half now.

The only time I do have poblems is when I make contact or call my local department to ask a few questions... they seem to not want to talk to you or take you seriously.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

One of the OC pioneers (and the first in a major city, I believe) no longer frequents the forum. But he might be interested to know more people in his home town are getting involved. Try sending a private message to "freshtapcoke" if you want to touch base with him.

For some of us, this will bring back fond memories:

OCDODinner4-12-08001.jpg

Can you guys believe that was almost 2 years ago?

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey Justin,

Welcome to open carry and congratulations on your otherwise uneventful open carry venture and a chance to educate the public. I to am new to the forum but have not had the opportunity to open carry due to my unwillingness to go it alone. I am also interested in participating in an organized event. Please let me know if you come across anything.

Thanks, Defensor Fortis

DEFENSOR

imported post

Paleocon,

Sounds good I think I am in, I am just down in thesouth bay and can get thereeasily. I will keep my schedule open. This would be my first carry experience. I am looking forward to it. I will stay tuned.

Thanks, Defensor