• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I smell something fishy at Wally World....

CrossFire

imported post

I guess I have to take bake my earlier post. I bought some ammo at WallyWorld about a month ago and this time they asked for ID. The girl behind the counter looked at my picture ID then looked at me and then rang up the transaction.

neuroblades

imported post

I can see it for verifying age but that's the ONLY reason I can see it. Once my CCDW comes in, that will be MY ID for them. :) LOL

CrossFire

imported post

Trust me, no one could mistake me for not being old enough. Not with the snow on my roof.

neuroblades wrote:
I can see it for verifying age but that's the ONLY reason I can see it. Once my CCDW comes in, that will be MY ID for them. :) LOL

goofwrench

imported post

I purchase ammo at several of my local walmarts and have NEVER been asked for id or had seen any info about me entered.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DasBulk wrote:
bloomberg... hes probably why mine stopped selling guns...
Sooo want him to come back to Va. with his antics - we now have a felony law waiting for him and his minions. :cool:

At best Bloomy's "sting" operations were straw purchases and should have been so prosecuted.

Yata hey

neuroblades

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
DasBulk wrote:
Sooo want him to come back to Va. with his antics - we now have a felony law waiting for him and his minions. :cool:

At best Bloomy's "sting" operations were straw purchases and should have been so prosecuted.

Yata hey
You have felony charges for Bloomberg in the state of Virginia? What's the charge? This is getting interesting. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

neuroblades wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
DasBulk wrote:

Yata hey
You have felony charges for Bloomberg in the state of Virginia? What's the charge? This is getting interesting. :)
Also, Virginia Attorney General Robert McDonnell (R), in an effort to end the Straw Purchase stings, sent a letter to Bloomberg referring to the Second Amendment and reminding him that Virginia’s House Bill 2653 – which prohibits gun dealer entrapment schemes – would go into effect this past summer. With the new law having gone into effect in July, Bloomberg and his agents could face legal action and be charged with a felony if they do not cease their “sting” operations.

Still looking for cite, but here is reference to it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/nyregion/11gun.html

West Virgina is considering such too.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/02/15/2010-02-15_stay_away_ya_varmints_dont_try_stings_here_gunlovin_w_va_pol_warns_mike.html

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Here is the cite for Va.'s anti-Bloomberg law. :monkey

N. Any person who is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive or possess a firearm in the Commonwealth who solicits, employs or assists any person in violating subsection M shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony and shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years.

http://198.246.135.1/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2

Yata hey

SavageOne

imported post

A few months ago I went and picked up a couple of WW .45 ACP at a local Wal-Mart. When I got to the register the lady asked if I was over 21. I said yes. She then asked if the ammo was for a handgun. She seemed to be being prompted by the register. I thought it was kinda strange and answered yes. She never asked for my ID though. She did however seem to punch my answers into the register.

jamesisel

imported post

SavageOne wrote:
A few months ago I went and picked up a couple of WW .45 ACP at a local Wal-Mart. When I got to the register the lady asked if I was over 21. I said yes. She then asked if the ammo was for a handgun. She seemed to be being prompted by the register. I thought it was kinda strange and answered yes. She never asked for my ID though. She did however seem to punch my answers into the register.
Walmarts collection of this data may be the reason why they allow weapons in there store as a corporate policy. They know exactly how much it will hurt their pockets if 2A gun owners take their business elsewhere!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

At my local walmart at the SELF - Checkout registers after scanning my ammunition purchase I am presented with a question.....

"Are you 21 years old?" or something very similar.... It doesn't ask if I am 21 years or OLDER just are you 21 years old?

Seems that I have to LIE to make the purchase since I am NOT 21 years old... and I haven't been for nearly 43 years!

I just reread this as it was quoted by someone else.... I have discovered a mistake on my part in the above... Instead of saying "for nearly 43 years" it should have been "31 years", I don't have a clue why I wasn't able to take my current age of 52 and correctly subtract 21 from it!

Edited to add the Last paragraph!

DasBulk

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
At my local walmart at the SELF - Checkout registers after scanning my ammunition purchase I am presented with a question.....

"Are you 21 years old?" or something very similar.... It doesn't ask if I am 21 years or OLDER just are you 21 years old?

Seems that I have to LIE to make the purchase since I am NOT 21 years old... and I haven't been for nearly 43 years!

Hah, I laughed.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
walmarts Corp policy is to database people who buy ammo
I still buy without showing ID here in Virgnia.

If you are well over 21, refuse to show ID, or at least inist no private info be copied down.

SavageOne

imported post

SavageOne wrote:
Happened again. I go into Wally World on Sunday and pick up a WWB. The lady didn't ask my age this time(she may have assumed it) but asked if this ammo is for a handgun. Is this happening to anyone else or is Wal Mart just worried about me:uhoh::uhoh::lol::lol:.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SavageOne wrote:
SavageOne wrote:
Happened again. I go into Wally World on Sunday and pick up a WWB. The lady didn't ask my age this time(she may have assumed it) but asked if this ammo is for a handgun. Is this happening to anyone else or is Wal Mart just worried about me:uhoh::uhoh::lol::lol:.
Federal law requires an individual to be at least 21 years of age to purchase handgun ammunition, and at least 18 years old to purchase rifle or shotgun ammunition.

If you already satisfied her that you were at least 21 yo, the 2nd question of whether it was for a handgun was pointless.

BTW - Wal-Mart is video tapping all such transactions, so smile big! :D

Yata hey

KBCraig

imported post

SavageOne wrote:
I go into Wally World on Sunday and pick up a WWB. The lady didn't ask my age this time(she may have assumed it) but asked if this ammo is for a handgun. Is this happening to anyone else or is Wal Mart just worried about me:uhoh::uhoh::lol::lol:.
Wal-Mart (like all big retailers) programs their register system to prompt cashiers whenever someone buys a regulated product. The cashier scans the item, and her side of the display (unseen by the customer) asks if the ammo is for a handgun, or if they're buying tobacco or alcohol it asks if the buyer looks to be under 27, etc., etc.

Try buying spray paint some time.

Federal law requires that if you're buying ammo for a handgun, that you be 21 or older. If you're buying ammo for a long gun, you must be 18 or older.

Now, you can be 18 and legally buy "handgun ammo" (.22, 9mm, .45, .40, .38/.357, whatever), so long as it's for your carbine at home (even if you're legally wearing a handgun of the same caliber).

On the other hand, it would be illegal for someone under 21 to buy "rifle ammo" for a handgun. There are a few handguns that fire "rifle ammo" (.30 carbine, .45-70, 5.56 NATO, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, even .410 shotgun (like the Taurus "Judge").

I hope that's clearer than mud.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
So I wonder if you're buying the ammo and don't have a carbine or handgun. :shock:
First time I've ever heard that suggested.

Tell them you're buying it as an investment, a hedge against inflation.:D

Actually, I don't think they are supposed to sell it to you unless you give the "right" answer based on age restrictions.

Yata hey