• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah permit course

Lank

imported post

I took the Utah pistol permit course at Hoffman's today. The issue of open carry in CT came up during the class - the instructor actually gave completely correct information, stating several times that there is no law prohibiting open carry in CT.

He didn't mention opencarry.org by name but he did say something to the effect of "there is a group in CT that intentionally carries open...".

It seems our message is definitely getting out there.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Would you expect any less when taking a course at Hoffman's.

Scott Hoffman and his instructors understand the issues and the law.

It might also be of interest that James Goldberg whois also an NRA instructor is currently employed at Hoffman's.

I tipmy hat to Scott Hoffman and his instructors.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I don't know about tip my hat, but seems like every time I go in that wonderful store I manage to tip out more than $100 from my wallet!!! Good guys in there, real nice store.

They are strong supporters of the CCDL so we support them.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Lank wrote:
I took the Utah pistol permit course at Hoffman's today. The issue of open carry in CT came up during the class - the instructor actually gave completely correct information, stating several times that there is no law prohibiting open carry in CT.

He didn't mention opencarry.org by name but he did say something to the effect of "there is a group in CT that intentionally carries open...".

It seems our message is definitely getting out there.

My guess is that the group he was talking about was CCDL.

As for intentionally OCing, that really is not correct. We do this because we legally can and it is our preferred method of carry. On a side note this is not something that all of our members do or even want to do.

We support any method of carry that is legal under the laws of Connecticut.

atrule

imported post

I went to Hoffman's the other night to buy a holster. I read here that they allowed open carry for the patrons in the store. I thought, "this can't be." But I asked anyway.

They said, "yes, they do allow it, but they don't want just anyone and everyone to come in open carrying." Since I don't think most people would, this sounds like a sensible response. They said the same thing that there is a group in Connecticut that advocates it. I said, "yea, CCDL. I am a member." And, he pointed out that Mr. Goldberg worked there. I was there for a while more, I am kicking myself for not at least saying hi to him since he is a minor folk hero on these boards. :) (One of the fellows who helped me out might have been one of them. I wish I asked).

I got a holster, love it, and they were very helpful finding the right one for me. I was blown away by the great service they provided and their genuine concern for helping new gun owners have good functioning weapons.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

atrule wrote:
I went to Hoffman's the other night to buy a holster. I read here that they allowed open carry for the patrons in the store. I thought, "this can't be." But I asked anyway.
I am a little confused on why you would inquire on whether you could open carry in a store in CT. Especially a gun store. I do know that some have been asked to leave one of the gunstores in CT.
I however OC quite often (not that much now that it is cold out, coat tends to cover it)...no matter where I go.

Actually we have had CCDL Executive Member meetings in Scott Hoffman's conference room. Most that evening were OCing. Then some of us headed over to Bertuccis for dinner still OCing.

I hope that you can make it to the next general meeting we have some fun events coming up. You should attend the meeting to get all the details.

Lenny

atrule

imported post

Len,

I have read on this site that Hoffman's allowed patrons to OC. I thought that was rather incredible since some places I have visited have it posted something like threat of imprisonment for coming into store with loaded gun.

But, I was curious, and am the double checking type. I am the kind to ask 'stupid' questions that would have an 'obvious' answer. Or, to ask questions to things I believe I already know the answer to anyway. It is interesting what you turn up once in a while when you ask 'stupid' or redundant questions.

I thought the guy at the counter was going to say 'no.' But, he didn't. It wasn't the most clear answer in the world, but it was an affirmative answer none-the-less.

[ An example of a 'stupid' question:

Q: "Can you open carry in Connecticut?"
A: "That's a stupid question. Of coarse you can't open carry in Connecticut. It's too dangerous. It's against the law. You will get arrested, sent to jail, and have your permit revoked."

Most of us here on this site have asked 'stupid' questions and found out that the truth is rather different than what is perceived to be the obvious. ]

About the meetings: yea I know. I missed last one. I look forward to the next meeting. I hope to see you there. :)