• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Good bye freedom of speech

DEROS72

imported post

Another one that really unerved me was that guy Ayers a close advisor to Obama. In a clip I saw talking about healthcar was asked What if you can't convince the american people your plan is the way to go, he actually said this....;" We will try to convince people with the power of persuasion if that doesn't work we'll use the persuasion of power" I found that a little disturbing.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

SVG,

Check this interview out on THE WAR ON KIDS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT9_9m_rO0s

My addition to it.

In showalter middle school in tukwila, there was "no tolerance instant suspension for throwing" rule. WTF?

The VP made it crystal clear ANY throwing of anything, paperball into garbage, whatever was instant suspension.

Chewing gum was an instant write up...

antispam540

imported post

While I enjoyed the interview, I think he's rather off in blaming the teachers for being inflexible. From first-hand experience, I know that they are endlessly resourceful in terms of trying to turn administrative demands into something that fits the children, not the other way around. The problem is a burgeoning bureaucracy in schools, and an attitude driven by the outright terror of liability.

It only takes one act of student violence to completely change policy to something absurdly constrictive for the others involved. On the other hand, all it takes is one allegation of misconduct by a student against a teacher for that teacher's career to be completely destroyed, whether that teacher is guilty or not. While it's important to protect children from abuse, teachers are already fingerprinted and background-checked, and they're still not trusted in the least bit, or allowed to provide evidence in their defense.

Administrative overhead is HUGE - teachers spend more time in meetings and conferences than in actually educating their students. Teacher salaries are orders of magnitude lower than the salaries of administrators.

Our educational system is a modern wonder (some might argue a modern wonder of government indoctrination, but still a wonder nonetheless). Unfortunately, it's become plagued with people who, rather than respond reasonably, act in absurd, extreme, and draconian manner to any stimuli whatsoever.

DaemonForce

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
In showalter middle school in tukwila, there was "no tolerance instant suspension for throwing" rule. WTF?

The VP made it crystal clear ANY throwing of anything, paperball into garbage, whatever was instant suspension.

Chewing gum was an instant write up...

This is why I hope I never have kids.

I mean that.

All irrational fears aside,it seems like the norm tomake another average/good-for-nothing, put them into a horrible system that bases itself off a prison environment and lie to them every 3 seasons of the year telling them they're going to school to learn. For 99% of those out there, it's a place where some semi-intelligent people can babysit for 8 hours from the late morning so that "mommy and daddy can go to work," or whatever. :\\

On a completely unrelated note, last week the County Auditor(bless whatever is left of his soul) decided to ship out some ballots to let everyone determine the future of the current expiring levy for the local schools in the coming years. The ballot questions a few pennies that determine as much as $75000 in funds across two school years.

I started going to school here. When I left for Pahrump, I encountered a school system that expected everything I knew nothing about mathematically. The kids were spoiled brats and the teachers would constantly punish me for skipping out on classes. No one could hold my attention for very long and it wasn't until I was finally brought before the VP that it was discovered that I could actually read. Wow no kidding. :XI do that for a few years and come back to this district to discover that everyone is stupid. Across four years of high school there were maybe four teachers that were able to teach me anything. The most important one was something I forgot about when I needed it for absolutely no reason during the last half of my last year: My rights. My failure to question anything at that time resulted in me being illegally searched, questioned, threatened and forced to forfeit half of my classes and eventually drop out based on an idiot's accusation. Other than that, I'd say everything else was there to simply lower my IQ(assuming that I have one).

So looking at this, $75K is a small chunk of money in their $4.8M pocket that would easily accomplish quite a bit across the next two years. It wouldfund the libraries, the student programs, maybe a few new textbooks(and I mean few), some new computer software(regardless of new computers being needed first). It would open some new windows of opportunity. It's a great first step towards actually teaching the kids instead of beating the same senseless garbage into them every morning.

Now the real: I grew up in one half hazard system that expected nothing, moved to another state and learned a LOT, came back to that horriblesystem andbecame Schrodinger's cat burst into this new reality whereI was "smart" anddoomed to repeat my efforts until everyone else could catch up. Nobody uses half of the senseless garbage being taught in school. I don't know anyone I grew up with that has. You don't use LVL2 Trig to fix your truck, you use your hands. You don't need Honor's English to land a job let alone socialize with dumb New Yorkers(except the Politicians and Barkeeps) and you definitely don't use anything from an A+ class to further your knowledge of how you use your modern computer. I know this arguement is inconceivable but my experience tells me the truth. 90% of everything science related wasn't something I found in a textbook butlearned from my grandfather who is a retired Journeyman Mechanic.Don't believe me? Put your kid through the WASL. Not the dumb one, the first one. The pure one.I passed all of them but I'll be damned if I know anyone else that could be attentive long enough to do the same. Maybe that just makes me a Sadist but I believe these are the only classes students need, period:

English
Health/Biology
History/Law
Music
Geometry
Tech/Business

There are several topics I would cram into this list, trust me I'm for itbut I'll just let those ambiguous looking titles absorb them. How many of you here in Washington have ever met a high school student that wasn't so socially inept that they could actually land a job? How many of them have you ever met are amazing enough totalk for hours on end and easily put you to sleep? Do you know anyone Innovative? How many do you know are capable and proud marksmen?You're right, I shouldn't ask so much when I haven't seen one either. :uhoh:

If I say yes to this ballot, I'm guilty of suckering taxpayers(and myself) out of a few more nickels for the next few years just so certain people can upholdwhat horrible excuses they have to put their kids through a horrible school system. If I say no, the levy isn't likely to fail but I will be looked down upon by the public eye because I'm "not enabling the kids to learn anything new" or I'm "restricting them of opportunity."

Restricting them of what opportunity? The ability to do something stupid and piss me off at the same time? Thanks for the update. :banghead:

I need a beer. :(

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Disturbing video Poo, I would have to agree with many of AntiSpam's post also. The truth is there is a lot of blame all around. As a parent there is blame too. We get so caught up in making a living and providing, that we are not taking these school officials and teachers to task when they are wrong.

So this reminds me I might have to visit my kids school this week and discuss how disturbed I am about how much they have discussed Al Gore and his inconvenience/lie movie and showed that. Without any opposing views.