• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report (Wenatchee)

Daath 474

imported post

So I've recently started to OC around Wenatchee a bit, whenever I go out to do things. I'm usually on foot, so I can't just jump in a car and drive home. I'm young, tattoos and piercings, etc. You've all heard my concerns about appearance and such out in the public eye. Here's some reports for my last few weeks of OC and around the town of Wenatchee:

First day I spent carrying mostly under my sweater with it unzipped and visible from the front. For some reason this is more comforting beginning with because I can see the expressions on people's faces when they see it. I don't like having my back turned and wondering if people are gawking at my pistol on my hip. Nothing weird happened and I ended up walking downtown to Subway. I ordered my sandwich and tossed my bag down on the bench and took out my newspaper. It was warm in there so I took off my sweater and got my soda. Some girls at the booth across from me giggled a bit, but no one complained. I had to walk by the register two or three times for things and no one even batted an eyelash. Quite the confidence booster.

After that I've pretty much just worn it whenever I go out to the corner store by my house. They're used to me and they haven't even questioned as to why my pistol is now visible on my hip. Seems they'd be curious, we talk all the time, but it has never come up at all.

A few times now I've rode the bus around town and aside from maybe a first awkward glance from someone, there is hardly any glares or questions at all.

So I decided to step things up a notch... I put away my heavier sweater and opted for a light hoodie that is too small to conceal my pistol. I decided I'd dress nice this time because there is a very good chance I'll be questioned by people and possibly even business owners or the police.

So I dressed up in black slacks, nice dress shoes, white button up shirt with a black tie and my light black hoodie to keep me warm. I always carry a black messenger bag while I'm out, so that kind of helped to draw some attention to my other hip. I left my piercings in just because that's the type of person I am.

I left my house and walked down the avenue and past a lot of local businesses. There were people out and about, but they all seemed to busy to notice. It was a nice enough day, so I decided to take a stroll down the park by the river. Most folks didn't notice, except for one couple that I had to pass who were looking at the flowers. They were out with their dog and their daughter and as I walked by I saw the wife's eyes turn into saucers and her husband give me a disapproving glare. I smiled and said hello, making a comment about never having heard of the flowers before and if they might have just made up the names. They gave a little nervous laughter and I went along my way. Coffee sounded kind of nice, so I figured I'd head into town and get some coffee at Hastings. Right before I got up to the main road I started to get really bad anxiety about being questioned or having to explain myself. I slowed myself down and took some deep calming breaths. I told myself that if I didn't do it, I was just going to make it harder on myself. So I went...

In Hastings a few people looked up from their laptops and newspapers a bit surprised, but then went back to what they were doing. The girls at the register were very nice and nobody seemed alarmed. One I caught looking at my pistol even smiled as if she liked it. I had my coffee there and read the newspaper. I ended up catching one of my good friends at the store and the first words out of his mouth were "You're gun is out!" I laughed and told him that is how I'm wearing it now and told him that he can open carry too and that just because he had a CPL, didn't mean he had to conceal it at all. That he could carry anyway, even without the CPL. I gave him a few pamphlets and he seemed to be considering it (maybe we can organize to get some coffee or something if anyone from the board is in Wenatchee). He had to make a few stops before we went back to my place, so that gave me a couple of more opportunities to get out in public.

We stopped by the local Verizon shop so he could pay his bill and he joked with me saying, "I'm glad you're with me, maybe we'll get through the lines quicker." Nobody in the store was particularly disturbed by it. A few employees looked a bit confused, but the managers were there and seemed to know the law. Enough so that they didn't question or bother me about it. I noticed one guy with his girlfriend was kind of smiling and looking at my pistol like he wanted to ask me something. Too bad he didn't. I hope he went home and looked up laws about it online.

After that we went in to Safeway and got some groceries. He ran into his mom there, whose husband is a police officer. She didn't even seem to notice that I had my pistol with me. The rest of the store was pretty chill the whole time. On the way out though, I had to walk by a few police officers who were "assisting" someone out of their vehicle and into the back of one of their squad cars. Two of the LEOs didn't even care, but one gave me the dirtiest stink eye I've seen. I could tell he wanted to come and give me @#$% about it, but was too busy and knew he'd just look like a jerk in front of the other guys.

That's all I've got so far, so I'll keep you posted if anything difficult arises or there is anything noteworthy. Otherwise it's just another day in the life....

Daath 474

imported post

Here's a pic of my new OC holster too...

I'll be sure to get a picture of me OCing in public next time I'm with friends...

OCholster1.gif

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Daath

Just a heads up, you do have a CPL right. You needa CPLto carry on the bus or in or onany vehicle. Just checking I dont want you to have a problem.

Other than that good job, keep it up and stay safe.

Stretch

imported post

Daath, one of these days I may see you in Wenatchee. I'm up there on about a monthly basis. If I spot you, coffee is on me!

Good job up there!

Stretch

Daath 474

imported post

Yep, I've had my CPL for almost four years now. That's how I've always carried before, but it's uncomfortable and doesn't seem as safe or accessible as open carry on the hip does. I can CC or OC with a light sweater, so it seems ideal for any occasion.

Previously I had a Sidekick inside the waistband holster I got for cheap which I used to only CC around. I never liked it. There was no retention strap, so I was always afraid something could happen to it. The clip to the pants was meant to snap on lightly to the waistband, not loop around the belt, sewn snug like a good holster. I used to have a decent drop down holster, but I gave that to my girlfriend when I gave her my old 9mm. I think I liked seeing it on her better than me! LOL...

The new holster is excellent and has room for an extra magazine. The retention seems pretty good, it won't slip or fall out and won't bump on anything and fall loose. It's much safer for jogging and active things like bike riding or climbing.

It was just time to buy a new holster and seemed like a good time to make myself open carry. I feel better now doing it.

antispam540

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Yep, I've had my CPL for almost four years now. That's how I've always carried before, but it's uncomfortable and doesn't seem as safe or accessible as open carry on the hip does. I can CC or OC with a light sweater, so it seems ideal for any occasion.

Previously I had a Sidekick inside the waistband holster I got for cheap which I used to only CC around. I never liked it. There was no retention strap, so I was always afraid something could happen to it. The clip to the pants was meant to snap on lightly to the waistband, not loop around the belt, sewn snug like a good holster. I used to have a decent drop down holster, but I gave that to my girlfriend when I gave her my old 9mm. I think I liked seeing it on her better than me! LOL...

The new holster is excellent and has room for an extra magazine. The retention seems pretty good, it won't slip or fall out and won't bump on anything and fall loose. It's much safer for jogging and active things like bike riding or climbing.

It was just time to buy a new holster and seemed like a good time to make myself open carry. I feel better now doing it.
I used to write games and apps for the Sidekick...

skiingislife725

imported post

Hey Daath,
You mentioned climbing with your gun. You actually keep it on you with your harness? I've been trying to figure out a good way to do it but have so far just left it in my pack. Under the harness seems like a bad idea and the leg holster doesn't seem great either. And out of curiousity, where do you climb at mostly?

tyguy808

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Here's a pic of my new OC holster too...

I'll be sure to get a picture of me OCing in public next time I'm with friends...

OCholster1.gif

Is that a PT145? Or a 111? I can't find a holster for either with room for the extra magazine.

Daath 474

imported post

skiingislife725 wrote:
Hey Daath,
You mentioned climbing with your gun. You actually keep it on you with your harness? I've been trying to figure out a good way to do it but have so far just left it in my pack. Under the harness seems like a bad idea and the leg holster doesn't seem great either. And out of curiousity, where do you climb at mostly?
I haven't tried any major rock climbing while carrying, so I don't know. There are a lot of hills with big rocks around here and I don't always stick to the beaten path. There are plenty of opportunities to free climb around here in this area. It's probably not always safe, but it's always fun.

I can walk to Saddlerock from my house and go hiking anytime I like. There is a lot of other rocks and trails to explore further out beyond Saddlerock as well. I've found some cool little caves and groves out in the hills.

http://www.wenatcheehomefinder.net/images/site_graphics/Summer/April_9,_2006_004_(Medium).jpg

If I need to see more forest, I can always head out to Leavenworth. So if anyone is ever in the area with the time, it'd be pretty cool to go hiking out there. I plan to do a lot more of that this spring and summer with my girlfriend and some of my friends. I'd like to get in a lot more time camping and fishing too.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/washington/cascades/Leavenworth/leavenworth_hiking.htm

Daath 474

imported post

It's the PT111 Millenium Pro. The PT145 and the PT111 are nearly identical in size and shape. The holster is a Blackhawk nylon holster (ambidextrous) and it says "Multi-Use Holster w/Mag Pouch." 3 1/4" - 3 3/4" Barrel medium and large autos. It says it's Size 6. Here's a pic of it in the box:

holsterbox.jpg

Daath 474

imported post

It was $26.95. I don't know if that's a deal or not, but I was having trouble finding one that fits as well. I didn't really care for the shop I bought it in. I used to go to Rocky's, but the owner retired. When I couldn't find what I needed at High Mountain Hunting, I walked over to One Shot which is next to the police department.

There were four guys working and a couple in looking at their small stock of handguns. When I asked the younger, heavier guy about the holsters he told me that they "probably didn't have what I was looking for." Without even looking them over. When I asked him if they had a PT111 or a PT145 or anything similar that I could use to compare, he said that they didn't have them or anything similar and then turned his back to me and walked back to the counter.

I looked over the holsters for a good fifteen minutes before I decided to try to ask another guy some questions. Since I've only owned two holsters I wouldn't know where to begin checking out some of the different features. There was an older guy that looked like he might care enough about sales to help me out. I got him to come over and kind of give me an opinion on sizes. He seemed too preoccupied by the other guy's potential sale with the couple and walked away from me while I was asking questions about the retention straps.

I walked up to the front counter and fumbled around with the holster for a bit, fitting the pieces together and figuring it out. There were three guys standing around talking and another trying to make that sale to the couple. None of the guys available even offered to assist me or ask if I was looking for anything else... or anything. They just stood around talking to each other. Having figured it out and decided that I'd just return it if it didn't fit, I asked about their prices on ammo for a 9mm. Their Remington hollow points were decently priced $23 for a box of 25. I asked for a box of them and was kind of weirded out at the register. He took my driver's license to check my age, which seemed normal, but then he typed my name and address into his computer. I asked him about it and he said it was just for the company and nobody else would see it. I didn't like the idea, but I was too tired to care. I don't plan to go back there for anything else again.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
skiingislife725 wrote:
Hey Daath,
I haven't tried any major rock climbing while carrying, so I don't know. There are a lot of hills with big rocks around here and I don't always stick to the beaten path. There are plenty of opportunities to free climb around here in this area. It's probably not always safe, but it's always fun.

I can walk to Saddlerock from my house and go hiking anytime I like. There is a lot of other rocks and trails to explore further out beyond Saddlerock as well. I've found some cool little caves and groves out in the hills.

http://www.wenatcheehomefinder.net/images/site_graphics/Summer/April_9,_2006_004_%28Medium%29.jpg

If I need to see more forest, I can always head out to Leavenworth. So if anyone is ever in the area with the time, it'd be pretty cool to go hiking out there. I plan to do a lot more of that this spring and summer with my girlfriend and some of my friends. I'd like to get in a lot more time camping and fishing too.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/washington/cascades/Leavenworth/leavenworth_hiking.htm
I have a rather thin harness, I haven't climbed with it and my side arm yet but tried it on and it seemed to work around the weapon. Like I have said though I haven't tried it out yet.

Great job Daath, I found Wenatchee fairly excepting off me open carrying last year when I was there.

skiingislife725

imported post

Daath,
Should be heading out to Leavenworth quite a bit this upcoming spring through into September. Ususally go up Icicle Creek to go climbing. Castle Rock right next to the highway is a good spot too. You can actually just hike up around the backside too to get to the top. Kind of a short hike though. But an awesome view. Anyways, if you ever feel like doing a little climbing, lemme know.

And the idea of my gun underneath my harness just doesn't seem like a good idea in a fall. I mean it'd be ok for top-roping I suppose but for lead climbing I think it'd be an injury waiting to happen.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

skiingislife725 wrote:
Daath,
Should be heading out to Leavenworth quite a bit this upcoming spring through into September. Ususally go up Icicle Creek to go climbing. Castle Rock right next to the highway is a good spot too. You can actually just hike up around the backside too to get to the top. Kind of a short hike though. But an awesome view. Anyways, if you ever feel like doing a little climbing, lemme know.

And the idea of my gun underneath my harness just doesn't seem like a good idea in a fall. I mean it'd be ok for top-roping I suppose but for lead climbing I think it'd be an injury waiting to happen.
My harness fits around my gun. But I don't know if I want it banging around either.

skiingislife725

imported post

I'd totally be down maybe a little later in the spring or early summer. I'm not from there...living in Bellingham right now...but I'd love to meet some fellow gunners. But yah, I usually head over to Leavenworth to do some climbing and I figure I'll move over there maybe in a year or two. Leavenworth/Cashmere area that is. Might be headed over sooner than I'd like to this spring with the damn el nino year (if you haven't noticed from my username, I love skiing).

Daath 474

imported post

Seems we'd be able to make it for lunch/coffee in Spring in the Leavenworth area. If anyone had the free time, maybe some casual hiking or something would be fun. With the right kind of notice ahead of time, I could get my girlfriend to come over for a visit and she'd probably OC too.