• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fallout continues from AWB hearing in Olympia

Dave Workman

Whitney

imported post

I watched the hearing on the internet after I got home from work yesterdayand want to publicly acknowledge and thank Pam Roach for her efforts. I did send her an email thanking her. It always seems to be a tragic event that spurs this type of "knee Jerk reaction".

Thank You to all the people who traveled to Olympia to show support, I could not be there but am thankful to all who made the trip.

While the death of Aaron Sullivan and the Seattle Police officers is tragic and should not be diminished, they were not killed with the type of weapons outlined in this bill, and the type of weapon that killed Aaron Sullivan is not known but is described in court documents as "an assault-style weapon" . The removal of these "assault weapons" from commerce assures only one thing, criminals will be the only ones with them. When you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have them.

This bill appears to be taking advantage of a series of tragic events and skewed polling to further unnecessary legislation. The data submitted by all respondents can be interpreted differently depending on how you look at it. The Police Chief gave only the details of the FBI data that support her "personal position", yet there is data in the same reports that support the other side as well.

I would submit that if as much effort in legislating "common sense" gun laws was put toward "common sense" punishments we would not have as many gun crimes. Simply put, if the punishment for crime fit the crime we would have less crime.

I believe the showing in Olympia today reflects the general public opinion and will also be reflected in upcoming elections.

Very Respectfully,

Whitney Slater

44Brent

imported post

Imaginethe following conversation between a legislator and Bellevue Police Chief Linda Pillo:

Legislator: How many rounds does the pistol you are carrying hold?

Linda Pillo: I don't know.

Legislator: Would the pistol you are carrying be banned for sale to the general public under Senate Bill 6396?

Linda Pillo: I don't know if the pistol I am carrying would be banned under this bill.

Legislator: Don't you think you should have checked on that before coming here to testify today?

Linda Pillo: I came here today to express my strong support for the 2nd Amendment.

Legislator: Do the weapons which are banned under Senate Bill 6396 have any social utility?

Linda Pillo: No, they have no social value and should be banned in order to protect children.

Legislator: If the weapons have no social utility, why does the bill provide an exemption to allow the Bellevue Police Department to use them?

Linda Pillo: I don't know. I'm confused. Can I go home now?

joeroket

imported post

44Brent wrote:
Imaginethe following conversation between a legislator and Bellevue Police Chief Linda Pillo:

Legislator: How many rounds does the pistol you are carrying hold?

Linda Pillo: I don't know.

Legislator: Would the pistol you are carrying be banned for sale to the general public under Senate Bill 6396?

Linda Pillo: I don't know if the pistol I am carrying would be banned under this bill.

Legislator: Don't you think you should have checked on that before coming here to testify today?

Linda Pillo: I came here today to express my strong support for the 2nd Amendment.

Legislator: Do the weapons which are banned under Senate Bill 6396 have any social utility?

Linda Pillo: No, they have no social value and should be banned in order to protect children.

Legislator: If the weapons have no social utility, why does the bill provide an exemption to allow the Bellevue Police Department to use them?

Linda Pillo: I don't know. I'm confused. Can I go home now?
But it didn't so what is the point of posting that besides wasting forum space and peoples time?

Capn Camo

imported post

Joerocket, the point is to EDUCATE people, and it appears that its WASTED ON YOU.

Richard6218

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Capn Camo wrote:
Joerocket, the point is to EDUCATE people, and it appears that its WASTED ON YOU.
Educating would be showing her errors. Posting an imagined discussion educates no one.

+1

The dialog about this bill is a real debate about serious issues. Hypotheticals have no place here.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
The dialog about this bill is a real debate about serious issues. Hypotheticals have no place here.

But what if they did?

Squeak

imported post

Whitney wrote:
I did send her an email thanking her.
Could you post her email. I tried to go through the Olyred tape,but not being in her district, I didn't get it.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Squeak wrote:
Whitney wrote:
I did send her an email thanking her.
Could you post her email. I tried to go through the Olyred tape,but not being in her district, I didn't get it.

Roach.Pam@leg.wa.gov

I sent her a thank you as well, and got this reply:

Dear -----,

Thank you for your support of the Second Amendment and for your encouraging words. I will continue to oppose SB 6396 in any way I can.

Sincerely,

Pam Roach