• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gaston police force disbanded - officer citizens to carry a gun

44Brent

imported post

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7599211

Posted: Jan 09, 2008 8:34 AM PST Updated: Jan 11, 2008 9:16 PM PST

GASTON, SC (WIS) - If you called the Gaston Police Department Wednesday you heard a strange message. "Yeah, this is Chief Crider Gaston Police Department. Do not leave any messages. As of right now council has disbanded the police department. We are laid off until further notice. Do not leave a message. They won't be checked for the next couple of weeks. Thank you, it's been fun working here. Bye."

As Chief Woody Crider said in the message, Wednesday night at a council meeting, the town's police department was dissolved. But that is just the start of the Lexington County town's problems.

"Carry a gun. Protect your life,"says a former Gaston police officer, who's warning residents they're going to have to fend for themselves. He is one of five officers without a job.

The entire force shut down because Gaston doesn't have the money to pay the officers.

The town is now under investigation by the State Law Enforcement Division, theIRS and the State Ethics Commission for its financial problems, including some big spending by employees. WIS News 10's Stewart Moore asked Chief Crider, "How does it make you feel to see that they're spending that type of money on personal endeavors and can't afford to pay the people protecting them?"

"Ireally rather not answer that," says Chief Crider. "I don't think it can be on TV."

Records from a private audit reveal what some are calling questionable spending, including $935 for one night of entertainment and travel by one of the financial administrators. And the mayor and some council members charged the city for a conference in Hilton Head, costing $4,200 just for the hotel, and thousands more for food and entertainment.

Mayor James Sharpe says, "I can't say for any reason that there's been anything done wrong."

Mayor Sharpe says the police department costs the most money, so it had to go. For the good of Gaston, the chief says he was willing to stay on. "I think all of us would have took pay cuts. I volunteered to go without a check, to keep these guys going. That don't matter to them."

Until the town's finances are straightened out, the department's doors will remain locked. It has residents concerned about their local businesses and well-being without having local police.

Michael Gantt says, "I own four businesses in this community. If something happens now we're going to have to rely on the Sheriff's Department. We do have a fantastic one in Lexington County; however, they're spread thin like anybody else."

Gaston residents who are seeking police assistance should call (803) 785-8230. In an emergency, call 911.If residents call 911, the Lexington County Sheriff's Department will respond.

scorpio_vette

imported post

QUICK.........lets ALL move there, and ALL open carry. If we make it like an island and EVERYBODY carries it will be all over the news that there is an ENTIRE COMMUNITY that is openly carrying and going about their work and business and the word will spread. so we can start spreading out as the word spreads and spread it throughout all of wisconsin. LOL

Mr Holiday

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
QUICK.........lets ALL move there, and ALL open carry. If we make it like an island and EVERYBODY carries it will be all over the news that there is an ENTIRE COMMUNITY that is openly carrying and going about their work and business and the word will spread. so we can start spreading out as the word spreads and spread it throughout all of wisconsin. LOL

Great, except this article is about Gaston, SC and not Gaston, WI - if there is a Gaston in Wisconsin.

Edited to add WIS is the NBC affiliate in Columbia, SC.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bet, the crime rate drops to nothing. Criminals fear armed citizens, we have no rules of engagement to go by & citizens won't read you your rights.:D

scorpio_vette

imported post

Mr Holiday wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

Great, except this article is about Gaston, SC and not Gaston, WI - if there is a Gaston in Wisconsin.

Edited to add WIS is the NBC affiliate in Columbia, SC.

oops.......didn't see that part. just saw it in the wisconsin forum. LOL

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like the wrong city officials were let go. Gaston obviously didn't need the financial adminstrator they had. I doubt that they needed to send all the city council members to a conference and the city probably doesn't need a mayor. Hell, anyone can cut ribbons.