Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California DO NOT PATRONIZE list

Post imported post

I just saw the thread in the Washington forum regarding businesses that are unfriendly towards open carriers. Do we already have such thread for California businesses? If not, perhaps we should start one.

Edit:
    Some good points were raised with regards to the list that I am trying to compile. Listing all businesses that are against open carriers might be unfair. Just because a manager at one location might not support a person's right to carry a firearm, that does not necessarily mean that all of the company's locations will turn open carriers away. For the time being, I am going to try to limit this list to businesses that have a confirmed corporate policy against people carrying firearms in their establishments.

Post imported post

Businesses with confirmed corporate policies against open carry:

California Pizza Kitchen
    Peet's Coffee & Tea

Post imported post

Peet's coffee
    Regal Cinemas (and subsidies)
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

Post imported post

Vons/Safeway supermarkets. Vons in So Calif....Safeway in No Calif
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

I've never had a problem OCing at Vons...but I wear clean socks.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I started one a while back, but there were only a couple businesses on the list... can't even remember which ones.

ETA: I've open carried in my local Safeway a dozen times or more, and never did they say anything about it. (Though the Loss Prevention ninja did follow me around for 10 minutes, but that also happened on a few occasions when I didn't carry. I think it's just that I frequent the store at a late hour so there's nobody else to follow.)

Do they have an official corporate policy that someone can cite? If so, I'll stop giving them my business.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

yelohamr wrote:
    I've never had a problem OCing at Vons...but I wear clean socks.
    LOL That's where I went wrong. This was the Vons in Lakeside. The manager approached me and asked if I was Law enforcement. I told him "no". He said, "in that case, I must ask you to leave." Apparently, someone complained. He said it was corporate policy. I email them and haven't received a reply yet. business.ethics@safeway.com
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    He said it was corporate policy. I email them and haven't received a reply yet.
    That's exactly what Costco said to me. Wrote to the store manager, who promised to send me a copy of the corporate policy, and wrote twice to the corporate office. Got no reply.

But from other members here, most Costco locations don't mind, and one even has a sign out front saying they respect their customers' rights. So in general I think Costco is OK.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Gundude wrote:
    That's exactly what Costco said to me. Wrote to the store manager, who promised to send me a copy of the corporate policy, and wrote twice to the corporate office. Got no reply.

But from other members here, most Costco locations don't mind, and one even has a sign out front saying they respect their customers' rights. So in general I think Costco is OK.
    I was in Costco the same day as the Vons incident. No one approached me, but my wife thought the guy in the "green shirt" was the house dick. He was following us without a basket and had a walkie talkie in his hand.

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Gundude wrote:

I was in Costco the same day as the Vons incident. No one approached me, but my wife thought the guy in the "green shirt" was the house dick. He was following us without a basket and had a walkie talkie in his hand.
    Store clerks are truly a nervy bunch of people.

Post imported post

San Mucus Costco guys are a bunch if idiots. Carmel Mountain Costco is pretty cool. I have never had real problems in grocery stores, though a few store clerks have been kinda uppity to impress the ladies or whatever. Major Market is anti but when I went back in there the guy behind the counter was cool.

Post imported post

Not to take anything away from what Mr. Shahab is trying to do with this thread, but it might ultimately be more productive to maintain a list of businesses that are pro open carry. Those businesses deserve our patronage above all others. I've never been kicked out of a business for open carry, but I have had positive discussions and comments from business owners who are supportive, and I think our efforts would be better served if we focus on them rather than singling out anti open carry establishments.

There is also the possibility of false accusations against businesses where one employee or one manager decides to enforce a non existant policy that conflicts with corporate policy. Unless you hear it from the owner themself or from the corporate office, the business may not really be anti gun. This happens all the time at Walmart, where the company is fine with open carry but some people have been kicked out of stores against policy.

I just wanted to throw that out there for debate.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Good point. We don't want to list a store simply because the manager wants to exhibit some dominance. I think there needs to be an official corporate policy to list. Start the list with Peet's.

CPK is kind of borderline.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    Good point. We don't want to list a store simply because the manager wants to exhibit some dominance. I think there needs to be an official corporate policy to list. Start the list with Peet's.

THere is one right across the street from UCSD...

Just sayin'....

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:

THere is one right across the street from UCSD...

Just sayin'....
    Huh?
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

Idea to test CPK...

State Researcher

Post imported post

wewd wrote:
    Not to take anything away from what Mr. Shahab is trying to do with this thread, but it might ultimately be more productive to maintain a list of businesses that are pro open carry. Those businesses deserve our patronage above all others. I've never been kicked out of a business for open carry, but I have had positive discussions and comments from business owners who are supportive, and I think our efforts would be better served if we focus on them rather than singling out anti open carry establishments.

There is also the possibility of false accusations against businesses where one employee or one manager decides to enforce a non existant policy that conflicts with corporate policy. Unless you hear it from the owner themself or from the corporate office, the business may not really be anti gun. This happens all the time at Walmart, where the company is fine with open carry but some people have been kicked out of stores against policy.

I think it's a good idea to do both. Reward the pro-gun businesses AND punish the anti-gun businesses.

However, before putting any business on the bad list, I think there should be an effort to verify it is in fact a policy formed by the owner. For example, I would not list Costco, since my encounter seems to be an exception to the experiences of others. Now, CPK and Peets seem to be verified corporate policies, so they're on the list for sure.

Don't Tread On Me.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    wewd wrote:

I think it's a good idea to do both. Reward the pro-gun businesses AND punish the anti-gun businesses.

However, before putting any business on the bad list, I think there should be an effort to verify it is in fact a policy formed by the owner. For example, I would not list Costco, since my encounter seems to be an exception to the experiences of others. Now, CPK and Peets seem to be verified corporate policies, so they're on the list for sure.
    Costco is Anti-gun there corporate policy has been published in Washington's forum. But there are some who still carry in certain Costco's that have had no problem with it. And I would continue to do so if that is the case.

It isn't illegal they just can ask you to leave. Refusal to leave or abide by requests can lead to being trespassed. Still no arrest or illegal activity unless you decide to ignore being trespassed. I CC at my Costco (I know not an option for most you guys there) because what they don't know won't hurt them. I would rather be kicked out/trespassed and alive than the other option.

On second thought the legalities of this is coming from Washington viewpoint, not sure if the same applies to Cal.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    It isn't illegal they just can ask you to leave. Refusal to leave or abide by requests can lead to being trespassed. Still no arrest or illegal activity unless you decide to ignore being trespassed. I CC at my Costco (I know not an option for most you guys there) because what they don't know won't hurt them. I would rather be kicked out/trespassed and alive than the other option.

On second thought the legalities of this is coming from Washington viewpoint, not sure if the same applies to Cal.
    Yes, this is also correct for CA.

Post imported post

How is this not discrimination?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

yzingerr wrote:
    Because it's their private property (we must respect that). They could have a no "Pink Shoes" policy and you'd have to respect it or leave.

Banned

Post imported post

yzingerr wrote:
    Favoring criminals is not discrimination. :quirky

Post imported post

That is fine, i just wont patronize them.

Post imported post

Okay, don't remember if it was here, or over on Calguns, but I saw a link that went to a gun group website in Arizona, where they had 2 colums of businesses list: one for those that favoured open and/or CCW, and the ones who did not. in some cases, there were even notes listed as to particular instances of what was said by a particular manager at that particular business. The website even asked that a business' corporate policy for or against firearms be confirmed before they get submitted to be posted. Be kinda nice if we could actually do something like that here. And if someone knows the link I speak of, please refresh my memory.

::Update:: Found it!! It was on Calguns, on a thread titled" Claim Jumpers does not support 2A". the link is: http://www.asrpa.com. When you're there, click on the link to the left that says CCW Cafe. And I may stand corrected, it may only apply to CCW. I can't check right now, since I'm at Panera's, and they have this stupid Sonicwall filtering software that's not allowing me to go to the site*

*Another site for me to email Sonicwall about. They use to block access to Calguns and Opencarry.org, until I emailed them and complained that they they were blocking educational sites that dealt with constitutional issues. They promptly removed them from the blocked list.

Looks like Rubio's needs to go on the DO NOT PATRONIZE list. Listen to Dave Champion's June 23rd radio archive. http://www.davechampionshow.com/archives/?cat=1

And I really liked their Mesquite Shrimp Burritos! And I took many, many out of state business clients to Rubio's. So they are losing a lot more than just my individual business. They have lost me, my family, and my clients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast