• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California DO NOT PATRONIZE list

AdnanShahab

imported post

I just saw the thread in the Washington forum regarding businesses that are unfriendly towards open carriers. Do we already have such thread for California businesses? If not, perhaps we should start one.

Edit:
Some good points were raised with regards to the list that I am trying to compile. Listing all businesses that are against open carriers might be unfair. Just because a manager at one location might not support a person's right to carry a firearm, that does not necessarily mean that all of the company's locations will turn open carriers away. For the time being, I am going to try to limit this list to businesses that have a confirmed corporate policy against people carrying firearms in their establishments.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I started one a while back, but there were only a couple businesses on the list... can't even remember which ones.

ETA: I've open carried in my local Safeway a dozen times or more, and never did they say anything about it. (Though the Loss Prevention ninja did follow me around for 10 minutes, but that also happened on a few occasions when I didn't carry. I think it's just that I frequent the store at a late hour so there's nobody else to follow.)

Do they have an official corporate policy that someone can cite? If so, I'll stop giving them my business.

Gundude

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
I've never had a problem OCing at Vons...but I wear clean socks.:D
LOL That's where I went wrong. This was the Vons in Lakeside. The manager approached me and asked if I was Law enforcement. I told him "no". He said, "in that case, I must ask you to leave." Apparently, someone complained. He said it was corporate policy. I email them and haven't received a reply yet. business.ethics@safeway.com

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Gundude wrote:
He said it was corporate policy. I email them and haven't received a reply yet.
That's exactly what Costco said to me. Wrote to the store manager, who promised to send me a copy of the corporate policy, and wrote twice to the corporate office. Got no reply.

But from other members here, most Costco locations don't mind, and one even has a sign out front saying they respect their customers' rights. So in general I think Costco is OK.

Gundude

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Gundude wrote:
That's exactly what Costco said to me. Wrote to the store manager, who promised to send me a copy of the corporate policy, and wrote twice to the corporate office. Got no reply.

But from other members here, most Costco locations don't mind, and one even has a sign out front saying they respect their customers' rights. So in general I think Costco is OK.
I was in Costco the same day as the Vons incident. No one approached me, but my wife thought the guy in the "green shirt" was the house dick. He was following us without a basket and had a walkie talkie in his hand.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Gundude wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Gundude wrote:

I was in Costco the same day as the Vons incident. No one approached me, but my wife thought the guy in the "green shirt" was the house dick. He was following us without a basket and had a walkie talkie in his hand.
Store clerks are truly a nervy bunch of people.

pullnshoot25

imported post

San Mucus Costco guys are a bunch if idiots. Carmel Mountain Costco is pretty cool. I have never had real problems in grocery stores, though a few store clerks have been kinda uppity to impress the ladies or whatever. Major Market is anti but when I went back in there the guy behind the counter was cool.

wewd

imported post

Not to take anything away from what Mr. Shahab is trying to do with this thread, but it might ultimately be more productive to maintain a list of businesses that are pro open carry. Those businesses deserve our patronage above all others. I've never been kicked out of a business for open carry, but I have had positive discussions and comments from business owners who are supportive, and I think our efforts would be better served if we focus on them rather than singling out anti open carry establishments.

There is also the possibility of false accusations against businesses where one employee or one manager decides to enforce a non existant policy that conflicts with corporate policy. Unless you hear it from the owner themself or from the corporate office, the business may not really be anti gun. This happens all the time at Walmart, where the company is fine with open carry but some people have been kicked out of stores against policy.

I just wanted to throw that out there for debate.

coolusername2007

imported post

Good point. We don't want to list a store simply because the manager wants to exhibit some dominance. I think there needs to be an official corporate policy to list. Start the list with Peet's.

CPK is kind of borderline.

pullnshoot25

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Good point. We don't want to list a store simply because the manager wants to exhibit some dominance. I think there needs to be an official corporate policy to list. Start the list with Peet's.

THere is one right across the street from UCSD...

Just sayin'....

coolusername2007

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:

THere is one right across the street from UCSD...

Just sayin'....
Huh?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

wewd wrote:
Not to take anything away from what Mr. Shahab is trying to do with this thread, but it might ultimately be more productive to maintain a list of businesses that are pro open carry. Those businesses deserve our patronage above all others. I've never been kicked out of a business for open carry, but I have had positive discussions and comments from business owners who are supportive, and I think our efforts would be better served if we focus on them rather than singling out anti open carry establishments.

There is also the possibility of false accusations against businesses where one employee or one manager decides to enforce a non existant policy that conflicts with corporate policy. Unless you hear it from the owner themself or from the corporate office, the business may not really be anti gun. This happens all the time at Walmart, where the company is fine with open carry but some people have been kicked out of stores against policy.

I think it's a good idea to do both. Reward the pro-gun businesses AND punish the anti-gun businesses.

However, before putting any business on the bad list, I think there should be an effort to verify it is in fact a policy formed by the owner. For example, I would not list Costco, since my encounter seems to be an exception to the experiences of others. Now, CPK and Peets seem to be verified corporate policies, so they're on the list for sure.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
wewd wrote:

I think it's a good idea to do both. Reward the pro-gun businesses AND punish the anti-gun businesses.

However, before putting any business on the bad list, I think there should be an effort to verify it is in fact a policy formed by the owner. For example, I would not list Costco, since my encounter seems to be an exception to the experiences of others. Now, CPK and Peets seem to be verified corporate policies, so they're on the list for sure.
Costco is Anti-gun there corporate policy has been published in Washington's forum. But there are some who still carry in certain Costco's that have had no problem with it. And I would continue to do so if that is the case.

It isn't illegal they just can ask you to leave. Refusal to leave or abide by requests can lead to being trespassed. Still no arrest or illegal activity unless you decide to ignore being trespassed. I CC at my Costco (I know not an option for most you guys there) because what they don't know won't hurt them. I would rather be kicked out/trespassed and alive than the other option.

On second thought the legalities of this is coming from Washington viewpoint, not sure if the same applies to Cal.

mjones

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
It isn't illegal they just can ask you to leave. Refusal to leave or abide by requests can lead to being trespassed. Still no arrest or illegal activity unless you decide to ignore being trespassed. I CC at my Costco (I know not an option for most you guys there) because what they don't know won't hurt them. I would rather be kicked out/trespassed and alive than the other option.

On second thought the legalities of this is coming from Washington viewpoint, not sure if the same applies to Cal.
Yes, this is also correct for CA.