• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Drop Leg Holster For Motorcycle UOC

UOC_Scottie

imported post

Hey Guys first time poster and brand new member here, I've been reading through the forums for a while and wanted to stop in and say Hi and ask some advice. I'm going to be UOC'ing and my primary mode of transportation is a motorcycle. I was looking for adecent drop leg holster with good retention, preferably with a closed end so as not to get all the crap of the day blowing up into my gun. Is there a specific one you guys wouldrecommend or a better solution than the drop leg?

The Atomic Ass

imported post

Personally, I think a shoulder holster would be more comfortable. Most vertical rigs cover the barrel, and retention is generally going to be very good.

UOC_Scottie

imported post

Cant do a shoulder holster because I'm going to be wearing my jacket most of the time and I live in California so concealed is a no no. The reason I wanted to do the drop leg is that my jacket sits fairly low on my waist to stop wind from coming up underneath and I dont want it to get snagged up on my holster. I preffer the way the hip holster looks, I'm not a big fan of the whole "tacticool" look I just want something that is going to be practical.

turbodog

imported post

UOC_Scottie wrote:
Cant do a shoulder holster because I'm going to be wearing my jacket most of the time and I live in California so concealed is a no no. The reason I wanted to do the drop leg is that my jacket sits fairly low on my waist to stop wind from coming up underneath and I dont want it to get snagged up on my holster. I preffer the way the hip holster looks, I'm not a big fan of the whole "tacticool" look I just want something that is going to be practical.
Ok. I had asked because I use a serpa holster even when riding. My jacket is one of those standard style waist length types which poses no problem with the waist holster. I just tuck it behind the butt of the pistol rather than over.

UOC_Scottie

imported post

turbodog wrote:
UOC_Scottie wrote:
Ok. I had asked because I use a serpa holster even when riding. My jacket is one of those standard style waist length types which poses no problem with the waist holster. I just tuck it behind the butt of the pistol rather than over.
Huh, I always just figured it would be uncomfortable to ride like that or that my jacket wouldn't sit right but it might be worth a try. Are you riding on a crotch rocket or are you on a cruiser?What Holster do you use? I was looking at the blackhawk serpa 3, I like their retention system and have a decent look to them. Have you had any problems with yours?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I don't think it gets any better than a crossdraw holster for riding a MC, driving a car, or otherwise being seated (like in a restaurant, etc.).Even standing/walking and OCing on the street (no, nothere in TX, but when I go to NM)since it'smy preferred way of carrying.

Usually, it's just a right/strong-side holster moved to the left side a few inches from your belt buckle, butt forward, pointing downward and canted slightly forward and towards your centerline -- nothing fancy/custom required.

I found out this mode of carry really worked for me (not just something you see in the movies) when I was in the RVN driving a tank/APCfor a few months,and I carried my GI-issue 1911 that way (in a wire-hooked pistol-belt leather GI-issue "US" 1911 flap holster, BTW). And when I was on patroland on foot (rather than seated driving something) I still carried it that way -- crossdraw (with a GI-issue canvas double-magazine pouch on the off (right) side) -- so it worked for me well in a combat situation.

Since then, I decided ifcarrying crossdrawworked for me there in the field, it'd work for me as a civilian. It has and still does.

...but that's just me. :)

-- John D.

turbodog

imported post

UOC_Scottie wrote:
Huh, I always just figured it would be uncomfortable to ride like that or that my jacket wouldn't sit right but it might be worth a try. Are you riding on a crotch rocket or are you on a cruiser?What Holster do you use? I was looking at the blackhawk serpa 3, I like their retention system and have a decent look to them. Have you had any problems with yours?
I use a serpa level 2 and ride a BMW R1100rt, which is classed as a sport tourer.
Never had any problem with the serpa. Wasn't a fan of plastic holsters till I tried it, now I'm sold.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

turbodog wrote:
UOC_Scottie wrote:
I use a serpa level 2 and ride a BMW R1100rt, which is classed as a sport tourer.
Never had any problem with the serpa. Wasn't a fan of plastic holsters till I tried it, now I'm sold.
SERPA all the way. You can get different platforms for the actual holster so you can mount it on either a drop leg platform or hip platform. Can't beat the retention either, IMO. My SERPA Level III belt holster easily cleared my bulky uniform jacket and was VERY easy to learn how to quickly and safely draw from.

FogRider

imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
turbodog wrote:
UOC_Scottie wrote:
SERPA all the way. You can get different platforms for the actual holster so you can mount it on either a drop leg platform or hip platform. Can't beat the retention either, IMO. My SERPA Level III belt holster easily cleared my bulky uniform jacket and was VERY easy to learn how to quickly and safely draw from.
I'll add another vote for the Serpa. Mine holds my gun out plenty far enough out to get my leather jacket behind it. It bunches up slightly, but not nearly enough to be uncomfortable. Just enough to say that it happens. The Serpa thigh rig is also pretty comfortable, though I can't say I've ever used it on my bike.

UOC_Scottie

imported post

Alright you guys sold me on it!I just ordered it off Amazon,now just gotta wait for it to get here! I get so impatient when it comes to new things for my gun! :quirky

Revolver_Ocelot

imported post

UOC_Scottie wrote:
Alright you guys sold me on it!I just ordered it off Amazon,now just gotta wait for it to get here! I get so impatient when it comes to new things for my gun! :quirky
LOL Know what ya mean! Recently ordered some Trijicon tritium night sights and was antsy till they got here!