• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

interesting article from Oregon

Michigander

imported post

That's one of those stories where I feel dumber for having read it.

It looked like it was a gun, but he threatened no one, minded his own business, and people freaked out because they thought it was a gun, even though it wasn't, the police get called and show up even though he hadn't threatened anyone, and after they find out absolutely nothing happened, the press made a news story out of it.

Why are so many people becoming this incapable of using simple logic?

Michigander

imported post

It's actually worth reading.

It shows what we're up against, as people trying to prove to society that guns are a normal, rational, and responsible thing to carry.

As opposed to this situation, where people were scared for no reason. And the article seems to try to convince you it was a damn good thing it wasn't a gun, because imagine the horrors that would have happened if it was!

That mindset isn't as prevalent here as it is there, but it still exists, and I think its an important thing for any serious OCer to understand.

Michigander

imported post

Here it is in case they take it down later.

Shoppers take cover in Cornelius grocery By Nick Christensen, The Hillsboro Argus January 26, 2010, 9:29AM Shoppers in Cornelius had to take cover for a few minutes as police looked for a man believed to be carrying a rifle Monday morning.
At about 11 a.m., a passerby called police to report a man holding what appeared to be a rifle near the corner of 17th Avenue and Adair Street in Cornelius. Officers from the Cornelius and Forest Grove police departments, and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, all responded within minutes.
When police arrived, they found a white male wearing a white sweatshirt and carrying a long black object off his hip, with his hand positioned in such a way that it appeared to be a rifle.
The subject, identified as a man in his 40s, was in the Grande Foods parking lot, and ran into the store once he saw officers.
A Grande Foods employee saw the man and the object, but was unable to discern what the man was carrying.
Once inside the store, the subject did not respond to commands from the officers, who then began preparing to sweep Grande Foods to search for the man.
“We were afraid that if it was a rifle it could easily turn into an active shooter event,” said Cornelius Police Commander Ed Jensen.
About 40 people in the store, including customers and employees, were told to gather at the front of the store, where they took cover and were guarded by officers. Other officers then conducted a sweep of the store, and found the man in a bathroom.
He was carrying an umbrella.
“He didn’t make any threats, he didn’t acknowledge he understood or recognized the commands, he just created a nuisance of himself,” Jensen said. “His mental capacity made it questionable whether understood his actions.”
No charges were filed against the man.
This story appeared on pageA4[/b]of the Jan. 26, 2010 Hillsboro Argus.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

"Other officers then conducted a sweep of the store, and found the man in a bathroom. He was carrying an umbrella."

LMFAO I wonder if the umbrella is the full-auto, assault weapon model for law enforcement and military use only or was itthe semi-auto model that's available for civilian use?

T Vance

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
"Other officers then conducted a sweep of the store, and found the man in a bathroom. He was carrying an umbrella."

LMFAO I wonder if the umbrella is the full-auto, assault weapon model for law enforcement and military use only (the kind where you push a button and it opens automatically)or was itthe semi-auto model that's available for civilian use? (the kind where you have to use your hand to push it open)

T Vance

imported post

maybeifulucky wrote:
I don't know WHO this guy thinks he is....Open carrying a umbrella in public. What kind of country does he think he lives in? Unbelievable!:cuss: Just asking for trouble!
Somebody is going to take that umbrella away from him and use it against him.

emptypockets

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

LMFAO I wonder if the umbrella is the full-auto, assault weapon model for law enforcement and military use only or was itthe semi-auto model that's available for civilian use?
I talked to a guy who knew a guy who was dating a gal who once knew this guy and they said that it was a semi auto with a high capacity magazine. Good thing those officers tracked him down in the stall. No telling what kind of damage he could have done - other than to the olfactory senses of the officers.

mudvr1212

imported post

Cop : Why did you run sir!?

victim : I was sitting on the $#!TER wasn't I!?

Cop : Why were you carrying that extremely intimidating umbrella?

victim : Hello, we live in OREGON...it rains every so often.....

I wonder if it had a picatinny rail on it!? :banghead: