• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roommate is on probation and I have a cpl!!!!!

d_hillman00

imported post

My roommate just got put on probation for a high court misdomenor, I have a CPL and live on a different floor than he does. The gun is always on me at all times, it is never laided down, if i cant carry it, its locked in a big safe, with me only knowing the code. He just showed me a pamphlet from his probation officer that talked abouthe could not be around guns at all. I dont really know how this works. I would love for you guys that actually know the law to fill me in cause I have no other place to move right now so I am stuck living here. I dont know whats going on or what to do,please help me!!!!!

T Vance

imported post

The way it works is HE can't be around guns. It is his problem. He might ask you to remove them from the house/apartment. If you want to do that, it's your choice. Just remember, HE is the one who decided to go out and commit a crime, so he is the one who should find a way to deal with it.

1245A Defender

imported post

if its "locked in the safe" or "strapped to your hip" he shouldnt be in violation...

if its laying about where could get posession of it , then there is a problem..

but hes the one in violation, not you..

d_hillman00

imported post

See, the problem is, is that he is the son of the guy that owns the house. And both of them are not blood family, but close enough to be family. We were discussing this issue about no guns and i told him that I didnt pay a total of almost $800 to have and carry a gun. He told me i could leave it in the truck when I was in the house. So what am I supposed to do when someone breaks into the house, tell the robber to hold on while i go upstairs and outside to get my gun. After he told me to leave it in my truck I said I didnt know if I really want to do that, then he was like if you send me back to prison cause you have a gun in the house you are going to need that gun when I get out. It just pisses me off because he is one of those 23 year old gangster type white guys and thinks he is billy bad ass because he has been through the jail system for sometime. And myself being 23 years old and can follow the rules and carry a gun on me. Now I need to be punished and not carry my gun. Its not right, thats why this is such a problem and dont know what to do?

d_hillman00

imported post

I cant, i have been unemployed since august...lol so I only have enough money to pay my rent, I am no longer ahead a month.....so i am stuck here but do you think its right that I pay to live there and since july 2009 and now I have to change my ways cause I just got my cpl not to long ago. There was no contract drawn up either but, remember they are like family...

G

imported post

That's your problem in a nutshell... They're family and you're not.

Talk to his PO, like Kimberguy said.

You may not like the outcome, but you're stuck living with a criminal element. And that sucks big time.

Yooper

imported post

As long as he doesn't have access to it, there's no issue. You can even leave NFA guns at someone elses' house provided they are locked, and only you have the key/combo.

Reminds me something G. Gordon Liddy once said "I'm a felon and can't own a gun, but thank God my wife isn't"

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

d_hillman00 wrote:
My roommate just got put on probation for a high court misdomenor, I have a CPL and live on a different floor than he does. The gun is always on me at all times, it is never laided down, if i cant carry it, its locked in a big safe, with me only knowing the code. He just showed me a pamphlet from his probation officer that talked abouthe could not be around guns at all. I dont really know how this works. I would love for you guys that actually know the law to fill me in cause I have no other place to move right now so I am stuck living here. I dont know whats going on or what to do,please help me!!!!!
Why would your room mate be disallowed to be around firearms? Since when did misdemeanors become grounds to deny gun rights?

d_hillman00

imported post

Unless he is lying about it being a high court misdenmenor, but as soon as I got home tonite he came running downstairs and handed me that pamphlet that his officer gave him and it was all about guns, but I think anyone on probation cant be around guns, I dont know......thats why I am asking?

Packer fan

imported post

d_hillman00 wrote:
See, the problem is, is that he is the son of the guy that owns the house. And both of them are not blood family, but close enough to be family. We were discussing this issue about no guns and i told him that I didnt pay a total of almost $800 to have and carry a gun. He told me i could leave it in the truck when I was in the house. So what am I supposed to do when someone breaks into the house, tell the robber to hold on while i go upstairs and outside to get my gun. After he told me to leave it in my truck I said I didnt know if I really want to do that, then he was like if you send me back to prison cause you have a gun in the house you are going to need that gun when I get out. It just pisses me off because he is one of those 23 year old gangster type white guys and thinks he is billy bad ass because he has been through the jail system for sometime. And myself being 23 years old and can follow the rules and carry a gun on me. Now I need to be punished and not carry my gun. Its not right, thats why this is such a problem and dont know what to do?
I would have to ask, how close of a family is he near if he threatens you, and if he truly was as "bad" as he says he is I would think he would keep his mouth shut about you having anything unless he is planning on getting into more trouble. If he told you you are going to need the gun when he gets out I would think you wouldhave told him that right there is why I think I need this gun to protect me from people like you who would do me bodily harm.IMHO

kyleplusitunes

imported post

is this the same roomate that has a felony in his past for robbing a store you told us about two days ago, or is this a seperate crook roomate? if so, do you live in a flop house?

if so, I think your best bet untill you move into a house that isn't full of crooks and convicts is to sell your gun to me at a deeply discounted price.

edit: also the solution for wanna be gangsters in grand rapids is to remind them of the fact they actually live in grand rapids.

edit edit: also on January 16 you posted that you were getting a gun next month and planned on ocing. it is only the 27 of January, have you recieved your gun already and went through this much trouble with it? if so what did you get? if not, I'd seriously consider waiting to purchase. it sounds like you are at a bad place in life to own a firearm.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Keep your gun on you at all times or locked up. Even though you don't have any contract written up to live there, you have established residency. They can not just kick you out with out going through the legal eviction process, which will take at least 60 days. My suggestion is find a job, any job, regardless of what it is, and move as soon as possible. It sounds like this environment is nothing but trouble, and unfortunately you could get caught up in it. He threatened you, that's not family. Stop worrying about him violating his probation and take care of yourself.

Kimberguy

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Keep your gun on you at all times or locked up. Even though you don't have any contract written up to live there, you have established residency. They can not just kick you out with out going through the legal eviction process, which will take at least 60 days. My suggestion is find a job, any job, regardless of what it is, and move as soon as possible. It sounds like this environment is nothing but trouble, and unfortunately you could get caught up in it. He threatened you, that's not family. Stop worrying about him violating his probation and take care of yourself.
What he said x2