• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in Ireland?

buster81

imported post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8484013.stm

I love the part in bold.It made me spit-take!

[suP]Man injured in Derry shop gun attack[/suP]

The man was shot in a shop in Waterloo Place
A man has been seriously injured in a shooting in Londonderry.

At about 1730 GMT, a man wearing a motorcycle helmet entered a shop at Waterloo Place in the city and shot the victim several times in the lower body.

The man, who is in his 50s, was taken to hospital.

His condition has been described as serious, but his wounds are not thought to be life-threatening. The gunman escaped on a motorbike.

Detectives want to hear from anyone who witnessed the attack or saw one or two men on a motorbike in the area to contact them.

Foyle MP Mark Durkan described the attack as terrible.

"The whole community in our city rejects this act of barbarism," he said.

"Our resolve to reject violent attacks remains unaltered; our message to those responsible remains unchanged - you have no support and you are not welcome."

Sig229

imported post

I really cannot understand the mindset of most (not all) British.

They look down on us Americas for gun ownership and act like they are in a higher class.

Yet they cannot do a damn thing to defend themselves if they need to.
They, like children cry to the police and expect the police (unarmed mind you) to swoop down like superheros and protect them.

I used to think no one could be brainwashed, but thinking about the past anti gun 30 years propaganda. Maybe it is possible.

How sad.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sig229 wrote:

They look down on us Americas for gun ownership and act like they are in a higher class.

They, like children cry to the police and expect the police (unarmed mind you) to swoop down like superheros and protect them.

I used to think no one could be brainwashed, but thinking about the past anti gun 30 years propaganda. Maybe it is possible.

How sad.

Probably some key stats need to reviewed and understood before writing off the British mindset.

Murder rate per capita, intentional homicide rate, percentage of gun murders and shootings to total, etc.

They might be better off than us, on a public policy/public health basis, over in bonnie old England.

I prefer the U.S. mentality of increasingly liberal gun rights/gun carry/gun self-defense within appropriate legal constraints.

But, I reckon I could listen to another perspective...

nonbritish

imported post

Just for your information, your post title is "Who needs a gun in England?", but this didn't happen in England. It happened in Ireland.

Secondly, when you say they wait for the "unarmed" police to 'swoop' down and get them, you are again misinformed, the police in this context - thePolice Service of Northern Ireland -are indeed armed.

police_craigavon_1363451c.jpg

Sig229

imported post

nonbritish wrote:
Just for your information, your post title is "Who needs a gun in England?", but this didn't happen in England. It happened in Ireland.

Secondly, when you say they wait for the "unarmed" police to 'swoop' down and get them, you are again misinformed, the police in this context - thePolice Service of Northern Ireland -are indeed armed.

police_craigavon_1363451c.jpg

Sorry, I just read what was posted and didn't click on the link.

But thanks for the clarification and welcome to the forum.

buster81

imported post

nonbritish wrote:

Thanks for the correction. I can't edit the post's title, but I did add a note.

The comedy of the quote still remains though.

Fixed it for you. : )

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

O.K now fix it again so it reads correctly.

This incident occurred in NORTHERN IRELAND, and not in Ireland which is a separate country.

Northern Ireland has a much better set of firearms laws than the mainland U.K and than Ireland.

the U.K and Ireland are lost causes, the last bastion of hope is NORTHERN IRELAND.

Sig229

imported post

irish_ironsight wrote:
O.K now fix it again so it reads correctly.

This incident occurred in NORTHERN IRELAND, and not in Ireland which is a separate country.

Northern Ireland has a much better set of firearms laws than the mainland U.K and than Ireland.

the U.K and Ireland are lost causes, the last bastion of hope is NORTHERN IRELAND.
Thats true.
I watch a lot of documentaries out of the UK and Ireland and saw that in the Republic of Ireland the police carried sidearms.

They looked like old revolvers, but it was better than nothing I guess.

What types of firearms can civilians own there?

buster81

imported post

Regardless of the country, the last quote is still comedy gold. It translates to "Hey you criminal, please stop doing that". It's all so polite.

irish_ironsight

imported post

Sig229 wrote

Thats true.
I watch a lot of documentaries out of the UK and Ireland and saw that in the Republic of Ireland the police carried sidearms.

Sorry Sig229,

I hate to break it to you, but the rank and file uniformed members of "An Garda Siochana" the Irish Police Force are not armed.

There are a small number of officer's "trained?" and the rule is when called upon to act, they must stop and don tactical uniform before carrying firearm's. I have had some of their firearms officers on the range and they are terrible as they do not practice, they qualify once a year with 30 rounds and that is that ! But they are improving, they have recently added Glock 17's and Sig Sauer 229's to the pistol armory, for heavy duty use they have a limited number of H&K MP7A1's. The general defense arm is a semi automatic UZI for the Emergency response Unit.

Under Irish Law, the Police presently are not even permitted to use any form of Chemical defense such as CS Gas or OC spray.

The Taser has only been introduced in the last year to special unit's, and then it is only for trial and evaluation, not for everyday use.

It's a sad state of affair's....

Sig229

imported post

irish_ironsight wrote:
Sig229 wrote

Thats true.

Sorry Sig229,

I hate to break it to you, but the rank and file uniformed members of "An Garda Siochana" the Irish Police Force are not armed.

There are a small number of officer's "trained?" and the rule is when called upon to act, they must stop and don tactical uniform before carrying firearm's. I have had some of their firearms officers on the range and they are terrible as they do not practice, they qualify once a year with 30 rounds and that is that ! But they are improving, they have recently added Glock 17's and Sig Sauer 229's to the pistol armory, for heavy duty use they have a limited number of H&K MP7A1's. The general defense arm is a semi automatic UZI for the Emergency response Unit.

Under Irish Law, the Police presently are not even permitted to use any form of Chemical defense such as CS Gas or OC spray.

The Taser has only been introduced in the last year to special unit's, and then it is only for trial and evaluation, not for everyday use.

It's a sad state of affair's....

Im not saying your wrong. But I remember very distinctly seeing the show on Itv 4.
I think it was called "Police Rapid Response" or maybe "Cops With Cameras". Its a British TV series.

But they were in Ireland and the cops had revolvers on the hip.
I dont remember if it was in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Edited to add:
I found the video!
Here's the link:
(at 0:35, 2:44 and 2:58 you can clearly see Glocks in holsters)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQYTanKTw0

irish_ironsight

imported post

Im not saying your wrong. But I remember very distinctly seeing the show on Itv 4.
I think it was called "Police Rapid Response" or maybe "Cops With Cameras". Its a British TV series.

But they were in Ireland and the cops had revolvers on the hip.
I dont remember if it was in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.

Edited to add:
I found the video!
Here's the link:
(at 0:35, 2:44 and 2:58 you can clearly see Glocks in holsters)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQYTanKTw0

The Officers featured are members of the P.S.N.I .. Police Service of Northern Ireland, not The Republic.

Republic of Ireland officially does not have a "Police force, they have "AN GARDA SIOCHANA" or a "Civic Guard" Their uniform patch say's GARDA not police.

How do I know, I was a corrections officer and worked with them for 10 year's.

In the Republic Uniformed Officer's do not carry firearm's.

Hightower207

An Spidéal, Co. Galway/Stuck in Maine, Maine, USA
imported post

A bit late on getting to this post...

I spoke to aGardaíin Galwaythis March, saw him securinghisHandgun ina lock-box of a4x4. Talked to him for a bit about crime in Galway compared to the US and the difference in Use of Force between the two. Asked him about the Garda Reserve and told him how in the US the Reserve Police carry firearms after a certain amount of days of training, he was shocked and a bit bothered by it. Should have asked him a couple of questions about his training, but it didn't come to me at the time, maybe next year when i return, if i run into him again.

Sig229

imported post

Hightower207 wrote:

I spoke to aGardaíin Galwaythis March, saw him securinghisHandgun ina lock-box of a4x4. Talked to him for a bit about crime in Galway compared to the US and the difference in Use of Force between the two. Asked him about the Garda Reserve and told him how in the US the Reserve Police carry firearms after a certain amount of days of training, he was shocked and a bit bothered by it. Should have asked him a couple of questions about his training, but it didn't come to me at the time, maybe next year when i return, if i run into him again.

Wait, he was shocked and bothered that a reserve police officer was able to carry a firearm?

He probably would throw up if he knew that the average American citizen can open carry with no license in most US states.

March Hare

imported post

Hightower207 wrote:

I spoke to a Gardaí in Galway this March, saw him securing his Handgun in a lock-box of a 4x4.  Talked to him for a bit about crime in Galway compared to the US and the difference in Use of Force between the two.  Asked him about the Garda Reserve and told him how in the US the Reserve Police carry firearms after a certain amount of days of training, he was shocked and a bit bothered by it.  Should have asked him a couple of questions about his training, but it didn't come to me at the time, maybe next year when i return, if i run into him again.

I hate to think what would happen to the poor guy if he came to Arizona, we openly carry loaded sidearms and after July 29 will be able to carry concealed without a permit!

His head would explode! :what:

Buzz-tronic

How sad.

Your fine comment has been noted my friend. Nicely put.

I am a UK gun owner and am keenly aware of how brainwashed the masses in the UK are unfortunately.
I almost lost the friendship of a good friend from a labour dominated area on this subject.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Our resolve to reject violent attacks remains unaltered; our message to those responsible remains unchanged - you have no support and you are not welcome."

Resolve and an unwillingness to support violent criminals does nothing to stop them.

Can you honestly picture the criminals saying, "Oh, my - we've not only lost their support, but they've resolved about pulling our support! This changes everything! We simply MUST turn ourselves in!!!"

There's only one thing that'll stop a criminal armed with a gun: A law-abiding citizen armed with a gun. Whether that's an LEO or a private citizen is immaterial, but you can't afford LEOs in every storefront, now can you? On every block (nope, not that either).

Last edited: