Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landmark Theatre in Richmond

Post imported post

Anyone here have any experience OC'ing at the Landmark Theatre in Richmond. It looks like it's owned by the City of Richmond but managed by a private company.

My wife really wants to see Wicked and I being a good husband want to take her but want my sidearm handy.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    It looks like it's owned by the City of Richmond but managed by a private company.
    Looks that way to me too and nothing mentioned in their FAQ's.

http://www.landmarktheater.net/default.asp?landmark=25

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Really good question. It is City property and I don't think they can keep you out.

Now that I said that, I would be shocked if they didn't have a policy or make a policy to forbid weapons. If they don't, they'll be the only theater in the city.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you prepared tp make an issue of it with your wife in tow.

Take a recorder. Given the city's propensity for ignoring the law, I would expect you to be tossed out. Then when we go to City Council, they'll hand it over to the Mayors assistant for immediate action

Centurion

Post imported post

If you have a CHP, sometimes it is simply prudent to use it. Theaters, as well as malls with private security, are places where concealed carry is the best way to go.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    If you have a CHP, sometimes it is simply prudent to use it. Theaters, as well as malls with private security, are places where concealed carry is the best way to go.

VCDL prez, you are right on the mark with advice for malls and privately owned theaters.

But that does not seem to be the case here. This is public property. This is the sort of preemption issue that we should address. Why should Richmond get a pass? Remember what happened to Danbus at Waterside?

Preempted means we can carry out in the open and not have to hide our guns.

On the other hand, if there is a leasing loophole to preemption, then we ought to understand it and developVirginia case law that is most favorable to gun owners. That sounds like it is right up VCDL's alley.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    It is City property and I don't think they can keep you out.
    So is this but they do: http://www.waterfrontfestival.org/info.html

I am waiting on an AG Opinion before looking at this further, but I am the reason they added all the text at the bottom of that page.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Centurion

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:

VCDL prez, you are right on the mark with advice for malls and privately owned theaters.

But that does not seem to be the case here. This is public property. This is the sort of preemption issue that we should address. Why should Richmond get a pass? Remember what happened to Danbus at Waterside?

Preempted means we can carry out in the open and not have to hide our guns.

On the other hand, if there is a leasing loophole to preemption, then we ought to understand it and developVirginia case law that is most favorable to gun owners. That sounds like it is right up VCDL's alley.
    If the property is rented or leased from the city, then you hit a gray area. If this is not rented or leased, then preemption clearly applies. From what I read above, it is not clear what the financial situation is.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Really good question. It is City property and I don't think they can keep you out.

Now that I said that, I would be shocked if they didn't have a policy or make a policy to forbid weapons. If they don't, they'll be the only theater in the city.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you prepared tp make an issue of it with your wife in tow.

Take a recorder. Given the city's propensity for ignoring the law, I would expect you to be tossed out. Then when we go to City Council, they'll hand it over to the Mayors assistant for immediate action
    With the right event (think Glenn Beck) this may be the next great location for GSL sticker handouts. :quirky

Remember the Richmond Coliseum. They took "immediate action" - duck and run.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    Except that they sell alcohol on-site. Beer and wine anyway.

I don' know what category they officially fall under, but it would appear that they fit the minimum criteria currently prohibiting CC.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

You guys won't believe who's in charge of the place....

Our old friend, Dolly Vogt.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Do I sense an air of facetiousness, Pro?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Do I sense an air of facetiousness, Pro?
    If Dolly is involved, there's a smell of something in the air...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    Anyone here have any experience OC'ing at the Landmark Theatre in Richmond. It looks like it's owned by the City of Richmond but managed by a private company.

My wife really wants to see Wicked and I being a good husband want to take her but want my sidearm handy.
    I hope you bought tickets already! Most of the showings are already sold out! My mom bought ours in November and when I looked in late December that showing was sold out!

Post imported post

So did we ever come to a conclusion about the Landmark Theater? I'll be going to see Wicked! myself!

Post imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
    So did we ever come to a conclusion about the Landmark Theater? I'll be going to see Wicked! myself!
    see it?

I would have thought you had the starring role!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    ClumsyCandy wrote:
    see it?

Haha : ) I'm not green! : )

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    ClumsyCandy wrote:
    see it?

Haha : ) I'm not green! : )
    It's an interesting question since she is billed as managing it for the city.
    http://insurancenewsnet.com/article....type=newswires

The administration has been very focused on getting everything working properly," said Dolly Vogt of SMG Management, which operates the Coliseum, as well as Richmond CenterStage and the Landmark Theater for the city.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    It's an interesting question since she is billed as managing it for the city.
    I don't think there is any question about it at all - City owned.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I'll be at the second to last show. CC until it is over since my wife really wants to see it.....but I'll OC on the way out!!!

Post imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
    I'll be at the second to last show. CC until it is over since my wife really wants to see it.....but I'll OC on the way out!!!

I'll be there Saturday, I'll let you know what I think! : ) Where did you get seats at? Ours our Center section! : ) I hope you enjoy it, I really love going to see shows at the Landmark. Parking is at VCU's parking deck there, its' usually $5, cash only. Arrive early, as the deck fills up fast!

Post imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
    Ric in Richmond wrote:

I'll be there Saturday, I'll let you know what I think! : ) Where did you get seats at? Ours our Center section! : ) I hope you enjoy it, I really love going to see shows at the Landmark. Parking is at VCU's parking deck there, its' usually $5, cash only. Arrive early, as the deck fills up fast!
    Keep in mind that VCU parking deck is likely covered by the same falsely interpreted "rule" about guns as the other VCU properties.

Unless you want to be our much sought after test case. :P

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    ClumsyCandy wrote:
    Ric in Richmond wrote:

Keep in mind that VCU parking deck is likely covered by the same falsely interpreted "rule" about guns as the other VCU properties.

Yata hey

LOL well its that or you park a mile away and have to walk THROUGH VCU to get to the Landmark. When I took my class there 2 summers ago, before I knew about the sillinees, I'd leave the deck everyday with my firearm in the passenger seat. Never had any of the attendants say anything to me.

Post imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    ClumsyCandy wrote:
    Ric in Richmond wrote:

Yata hey
    LOL well its that or you park a mile away and have to walk THROUGH VCU to get to the Landmark. When I took my class there 2 summers ago, before I knew about the sillinees, I'd leave the deck everyday with my firearm in the passenger seat. Never had any of the attendants say anything to me.
    Didn't say you could not - just reminding others to "keep it in mind."

Not saying how I would handle it.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Got drop off and pick up service and chose to make my mom comfortable as well as myself, since I was going to be sitting for almost 3 hours in a very small uncomfortable seat. Chose not to carry. It turned out to be for the best because the show was SOLD OUT and very crowded and even with a retention holster I would not have felt safe.

The show however, was SPECTACULAR! The lady who played Elphaba, was the stand-in and she was a show stopper! Very good! It is almost 3 hours long with intermission so be prepared to sit! : )

Post imported post

Ok, was there ever a true consensus on carry at the Landmark? I had occassion to go there over the weekend and could not be sure of the status of the venue. They serve beer and wine in at least a portion of it. Would that have meant only open carry would have been legal? I saw no signs attempting to bar carry. I think we were clear that ownership is the City of Richmond and that premption is in effect but the Wine Bar does muddy the picture.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast