• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Landmark Theatre in Richmond

Xeni

imported post

Anyone here have any experience OC'ing at the Landmark Theatre in Richmond. It looks like it's owned by the City of Richmond but managed by a private company.

My wife really wants to see Wicked and I being a good husband want to take her but want my sidearm handy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Really good question. It is City property and I don't think they can keep you out.

Now that I said that, I would be shocked if they didn't have a policy or make a policy to forbid weapons. If they don't, they'll be the only theater in the city.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you prepared tp make an issue of it with your wife in tow.

Take a recorder. Given the city's propensity for ignoring the law, I would expect you to be tossed out. Then when we go to City Council, they'll hand it over to the Mayors assistant for immediate action:lol:

Thundar

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
If you have a CHP, sometimes it is simply prudent to use it. Theaters, as well as malls with private security, are places where concealed carry is the best way to go.

VCDL prez, you are right on the mark with advice for malls and privately owned theaters.

But that does not seem to be the case here. This is public property. This is the sort of preemption issue that we should address. Why should Richmond get a pass? Remember what happened to Danbus at Waterside?

Preempted means we can carry out in the open and not have to hide our guns.

On the other hand, if there is a leasing loophole to preemption, then we ought to understand it and developVirginia case law that is most favorable to gun owners. That sounds like it is right up VCDL's alley.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Thundar wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
If you have a CHP, sometimes it is simply prudent to use it. Theaters, as well as malls with private security, are places where concealed carry is the best way to go.

VCDL prez, you are right on the mark with advice for malls and privately owned theaters.

But that does not seem to be the case here. This is public property. This is the sort of preemption issue that we should address. Why should Richmond get a pass? Remember what happened to Danbus at Waterside?

Preempted means we can carry out in the open and not have to hide our guns.

On the other hand, if there is a leasing loophole to preemption, then we ought to understand it and developVirginia case law that is most favorable to gun owners. That sounds like it is right up VCDL's alley.
If the property is rented or leased from the city, then you hit a gray area. If this is not rented or leased, then preemption clearly applies. From what I read above, it is not clear what the financial situation is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Really good question. It is City property and I don't think they can keep you out.

Now that I said that, I would be shocked if they didn't have a policy or make a policy to forbid weapons. If they don't, they'll be the only theater in the city.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you prepared tp make an issue of it with your wife in tow.

Take a recorder. Given the city's propensity for ignoring the law, I would expect you to be tossed out. Then when we go to City Council, they'll hand it over to the Mayors assistant for immediate action:lol:
With the right event (think Glenn Beck) this may be the next great location for GSL sticker handouts. :quirky

Remember the Richmond Coliseum. They took "immediate action" - duck and run.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Except that they sell alcohol on-site. Beer and wine anyway.

I don' know what category they officially fall under, but it would appear that they fit the minimum criteria currently prohibiting CC.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Xeni wrote:
Anyone here have any experience OC'ing at the Landmark Theatre in Richmond. It looks like it's owned by the City of Richmond but managed by a private company.

My wife really wants to see Wicked and I being a good husband want to take her but want my sidearm handy.

I hope you bought tickets already! Most of the showings are already sold out! My mom bought ours in November and when I looked in late December that showing was sold out!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
ClumsyCandy wrote:
So did we ever come to a conclusion about the Landmark Theater? I'll be going to see Wicked! myself!

see it?

I would have thought you had the starring role! :)

Haha : ) I'm not green! : )
It's an interesting question since she is billed as managing it for the city.
http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=169357&type=newswires

The administration has been very focused on getting everything working properly," said Dolly Vogt of SMG Management, which operates the Coliseum, as well as Richmond CenterStage and the Landmark Theater for the city.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
It's an interesting question since she is billed as managing it for the city.
I don't think there is any question about it at all - City owned.

Yata hey

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
I'll be at the second to last show. CC until it is over since my wife really wants to see it.....but I'll OC on the way out!!!

I'll be there Saturday, I'll let you know what I think! : ) Where did you get seats at? Ours our Center section! : ) I hope you enjoy it, I really love going to see shows at the Landmark. Parking is at VCU's parking deck there, its' usually $5, cash only. Arrive early, as the deck fills up fast!