• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wells Fargo Bank

Crypto

imported post

The Wells Fargo Bank at "431 39th Avenue Southwest Puyallup, WA. 98373" asked me to conceal carry after I asked him the policy about open carry in the bank.

The weird part of it was that his Supervisor was there that day. He went up to her and pulled her in a back room and talked with her for about 3 mins and came back out and told me to not open carry because he would have to call the cops. ???

As far as me carrying that day. I was not. I didn't even own a pistol at the time. But, I hear about others on the board going into there banks and open carrying. I want to also now that I have my pistol.

I was just wondering if this is some sort of law? Can we open carry in banks in pierce county?

If not does anyone know the current RCW or Pierce County Code?

There is that damn code thing again. I know the preemption law overrides any code.

tyguy808

imported post

Banks are private property. They can pretty much make up their own rules. If they ask you to conceal then you pretty much have to. If you don't, they can ask you to leave. Since you haven't broken any laws that's all they can so. If you refuse to leave then they will call the cops to remove you, if you return you COULD be charged with trespass.

I OC all the time into my bank WAMU/Chase. They've never said anything to me.

Just Us

imported post

I OCed in Chase just outside south hill mall on tuesday, no one said anything.

My first time OCing in a bank and nervous.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Crypto wrote:
The Wells Fargo Bank at "431 39th Avenue Southwest Puyallup, WA. 98373" asked me to conceal carry after I asked him the policy about open carry in the bank.

The weird part of it was that his Supervisor was there that day. He went up to her and pulled her in a back room and talked with her for about 3 mins and came back out and told me to not open carry because he would have to call the cops. ???

As far as me carrying that day. I was not. I didn't even own a pistol at the time. But, I hear about others on the board going into there banks and open carrying. I want to also now that I have my pistol.

I was just wondering if this is some sort of law? Can we open carry in banks in pierce county?

If not does anyone know the current RCW or Pierce County Code?

There is that damn code thing again. I know the preemption law overrides any code.
I know this has been said many times.

DO NOT ASK PERMISSION, for a right you already have.You already have the right by law. Do not ask permission, just go about your normal daily business, be polite, courteous and armed.

Hammer

imported post

I oc into my bank all the time. It is BOA, and they have never even mentioned it, tho since I don't go in there much anymore, what with direct deposit and online banking, myu face is not as familiar. New folk will often give me the stink-eye until they get used to the scene. If something were mentioned, I know the bank manager, so it would end well, but it hasn't come to that.
I think appearance has at least something to do with it. Why would an old guy with a military looking haircut come in, fill out paperwork on the counter, stand in line looking at the cameras, and greet the tellers by name, then do some kind of harm? I think that keeps even the suspicious on their heels....

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Agree with gogodawgs. Stop asking permission before you OC somewhere. Just go in and take care of your business. Chances are, if you let them know (ask) ahead of time, most likely they will tell you they prefer you not OC, or simply not to come to their business. It just doesn't make sense to ask first.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Three times for a charm. Asking permission is asking to be denied. I do understand being nervous about it though.

And no they don't have to call the police.

Anybody have Wells Fargo's policy? I have carried a few times in there with no problem.

tyguy808

imported post

I was told once upon a time that it is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Go there first, they probably won't even notice your sidearm. If they do, the worst they can do is ask you to leave.

Crypto

imported post

I asked to be polite I guess. Everyday I walk into that bank. The manager and I talk. So, its kinda like we are friends but we don't ever talk outside of those meetings in the bank. He is a nice guy. So, I thought it would be better if I ask his policy about open carry inside his bank that he runs everyday. He told me to conceal carry. So, I will do as he says just because I don't want our relationship to go south because of it.

Crypto

imported post

I asked to be polite I guess. Everyday I walk into that bank. The manager and I talk. So, its kinda like we are friends but we don't ever talk outside of those meetings in the bank. He is a nice guy. So, I thought it would be better if I ask his policy about open carry inside his bank that he runs everyday. He told me to conceal carry. So, I will do as he says just because I don't want our relationship to go south because of it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Crypto wrote:
Did you ask if it was corporate policy or just for permission?

I was in a rush, and wore my holster in before I was comfortable with my bank, I was asked by someone I had opened accounts with and had a very friendly banking relationship with. "Is that a holster", I told him yes I normally carry openly everywhere but since I didn't know what his banks policy was and I was in a hurry I didn't today, by the way do you know your corporate policy?"

He said he assumed no, but was now curious and would look it up. He called me less than hr. later to say hey you are good to go we follow state law.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I went into the BoA in Port Orchard Safeway,and was told by the cashier,in no uncertain terms that I could not carry in there. I opened my wallet, extracted the cards from my 4 accounts and said "will you get the manager, I want to close these accounts" The manager quickly straightened out the newby teller.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I went into the BoA in Port Orchard Safeway,and was told by the cashier,in no uncertain terms that I could not carry in there. I opened my wallet, extracted the cards from my 4 accounts and said "will you get the manager, I want to close these accounts" The manager quickly straightened out the newby teller.
+1

kito109654

imported post

I open carry at my bank once a week. They knew me by name before I turned 21 and started carrying. They have never said anything.

The mistake you made: You asked about policy.

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
I went into the BoA in Port Orchard Safeway,and was told by the cashier, in no uncertain terms that I could not carry in there. I opened my wallet, extracted the cards from my 4 accounts and said "will you get the manager, I want to close these accounts" The manager quickly straightened out the newby teller.
If I tried that they would probably say, "Here, take you $4.73 and go!"  :?

HAHA They would ask me to make a deposit to bring my balance to $0 and tell me that they will miss giving me overdraft charges.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
If I tried that they would probably say, "Here, take you $4.73 and go!" :?

HAHA They would ask me to make a deposit to bring my balance to $0 and tell me that they will miss giving me overdraft charges.
I got you both beat but I'm not going there......lol.

kparker

imported post

"If you owe the bank a thousand dollars, you have a problem.

If you owe the bank a million dollars, the bank has a problem."
So, SVG, are we talking the-bank-has-a-problem territory? :)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

kparker wrote:
"If you owe the bank a thousand dollars, you have a problem.

If you owe the bank a million dollars, the bank has a problem."
So, SVG, are we talking the-bank-has-a-problem territory? :)
I wish. LOL. Well hmmm if you count my house. Nope still not that much.

I actually don't have any personal accounts and haven't for awhile. My business one was closed do to inactivity.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:

Part of what we do is to show that it is perfectly normal for an American to have the means available to protect themselves. We typically don't ask permission of business owners prior to engaging in activity in their business that is perfectly normal.

It's hardly normal to open carry a firearm in a bank.

Very few people actually do it.

I see nothing intrinsicallywrong with asking for a company's policy beforehand. It can bereasonable not to ask, too. Depends on a few things...