• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wells Fargo Bank

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Part of what we do is to show that it is perfectly normal for an American to have the means available to protect themselves. We typically don't ask permission of business owners prior to engaging in activity in their business that is perfectly normal.

It's hardly normal to open carry a firearm in a bank.

Very few people actually do it.

I see nothing intrinsicallywrong with asking for a company's policy beforehand. It can bereasonable not to ask, too. Depends on a few things...

hold on, i run a $3million business... i pay for an armored truck service but occasionally i have to make a deposit or get money for the business....

i open carry carrying a big bag of money and I have seen other people do so as well....

I have found it more common at a bank than elsewhere...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Part of what we do is to show that it is perfectly normal for an American to have the means available to protect themselves. We typically don't ask permission of business owners prior to engaging in activity in their business that is perfectly normal.

I see nothing intrinsicallywrong with asking for a company's policy beforehand. It can bereasonable not to ask, too. Depends on a few things...

hold on, i run a $3million business... i pay for an armored truck service but occasionally i have to make a deposit or get money for the business....

i open carry carrying a big bag of money and I have seen other people do so as well....

What percentage of the bank's customers who come in would you estimate openly carry a gun (non-LE)?

Tawnos

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

You DO realize that you are responding to HankT, don't you?
its-a-trap.jpg

Capn Camo

imported post

Theres another trap here, on the first page:

"the bank is private property"

No it isnt. Not as defined by RCW - criminal trespass and AGO 2008#8:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/opinion.aspx?section=archive&id=21188
(See "original page 5):

" [Original Page 5] It has been suggested that such a prohibition on the possession of firearms on city property might be enforced through the state’s criminal trespass laws. RCW 9A.52.070 governs first degree criminal trespass and provides:

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.

RCW 9A.52.080 governs second degree criminal trespass and provides:

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not constituting criminal trespass in the first degree.

(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a misdemeanor.

A person “enters or remains unlawfully” when a person is “in or upon premises when he is not then licensed, invited, or otherwise privileged to so enter or remain.” RCW 9A.52.010(3). It is a defense to criminal trespass if the “premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises”. RCW 9A.52.090(2) (emphasis added)."

2008 # 8 is not controlling law here, but cites it. RCW 9A.52.070

The Bank is open to the Public. It is "held out to Public use" There is NO RESTRICTION at LAW on carrying into a Bank lobby, that is NOT a place on the RCW list of restricted areas:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

READ IT AND TELL ME WHERE IT SAYS "BANK"

This notion that the Bank is private is also contrary, more or less, to pre-emption, it attempts to make another class of place that is restricted. A BANK LOBBY/PUBLIC TELLER AREA IS NOT RESTRICTED UNDER RCW.

There are WAY too many people posting OPINION on this BBS that is contrary to LAW and LIBERTY.

Beware of them, there are political activists that go around doing this deliberately.

PS I carry into my bank, its my bank, my money and they know theyll LOSE THOSE DEPOSITS at the first complaint. I did offer the courtesy to Management (without being required to do so) that I was carrying since they have a special interest in security.

From OP:

"The Wells Fargo Bank at "431 39th Avenue Southwest Puyallup, WA. 98373" asked me to conceal carry after"

They can ask you to put a stick in your butt and whistle Dixie, but you don't have to. They do not make law. Their "request" is EXACTLY that unless you are their EMPLOYEE, which you apparently are not.

" I was just wondering if this is some sort of law? Can we open carry in banks in pierce county?"

There is no "Pierce County" That implies that Pierce County has its own firearms laws that are more restrictive than the State and Pre-emption says all laws in the State SHALL NOT be more restrictive, and based on the above Opinion and Laws, they cannot stop you.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Capn Camo:

I see you are enthusiastic and well intentioned but for some reason your posts remind me of Brad Pitt's character in 12 Monkeys.

When you are in your face and rant over and over again nobody is going to listen to the point you are trying to get across. Settle down a little be open for discussion and not so demonstrative and confrontational.

We have discussed the private property thing over and over again and again. They can ask you to do anything they want, you do have the right not to comply, if it isn't a "protected right" they have the right to have you leave if you refuse you can be trespassed from their private property, if again you disobey these wishes you can be charged criminally.

kito109654

imported post

Capn, the bank is private property. My home is private property. Neither of them has to be listed in the restricted areas for them to be private property. :) The bank can ask you to do whatever they like.

mtlhdtodd

imported post

This is quite surprising. I OC at the Wells in Auburn all the time and they never said boo. In fact I did thank them for not giving me grief about it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
HankT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

You DO realize that you are responding to HankT, don't you?

Dang!

I thought for sure that my new cloaking device would hide my forum ID and avatar successfully.

Guess it didn't work. You're just too sharp, NLT. You too, Tawnos. <sigh>

Capn Camo wrote:

No it isnt. Not as defined by RCW....
This notion that the Bank is private is also contrary, more or less, to pre-emption, it attempts to make another class of place that is restricted. A BANK LOBBY/PUBLIC TELLER AREA IS NOT RESTRICTED UNDER RCW.

There are WAY too many people posting OPINION on this BBS that is contrary to LAW and LIBERTY.

Beware of them, there are political activists that go around doing this deliberately.

PS I carry into my bank, its my bank, my money and they know theyll LOSE THOSE DEPOSITS at the first complaint. I did offer the courtesy to Management (without being required to do so) that I was carrying since they have a special interest in security.

You might want to think about why you feel that banks are not private property, Capn. C. Just because your bank lets you carry there doesn't mean other people can in the banks they go to. Who do you think actually DOES OWN the banks?

I do think you should get kudos, however, for giving managment the courtesy of letting them know you are armed when you visit. Most here wouldn't do that. Of course, the question of need to notify can go either way. Some carriers do. Some don't. You have the liberty to do what you wish.

Kildars

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:

No it isnt. Not as defined by RCW - criminal trespass and AGO 2008#8:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/opinion.aspx?section=archive&id=21188
(See "original page 5):

" [Original Page 5] It has been suggested that such a prohibition on the possession of firearms on city property might be enforced through the state’s criminal trespass laws. RCW 9A.52.070 governs first degree criminal trespass and provides:

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.

RCW 9A.52.080 governs second degree criminal trespass and provides:

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not constituting criminal trespass in the first degree.

(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a misdemeanor.

A person “enters or remains unlawfully” when a person is “in or upon premises when he is not then licensed, invited, or otherwise privileged to so enter or remain.” RCW 9A.52.010(3). It is a defense to criminal trespass if the “premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises”. RCW 9A.52.090(2) (emphasis added)."

2008 # 8 is not controlling law here, but cites it. RCW 9A.52.070

The Bank is open to the Public. It is "held out to Public use" There is NO RESTRICTION at LAW on carrying into a Bank lobby, that is NOT a place on the RCW list of restricted areas:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

READ IT AND TELL ME WHERE IT SAYS "BANK"

From OP:

"The Wells Fargo Bank at "431 39th Avenue Southwest Puyallup, WA. 98373" asked me to conceal carry after"

They can ask you to put a stick in your butt and whistle Dixie, but you don't have to. They do not make law. Their "request" is EXACTLY that unless you are their EMPLOYEE, which you apparently are not.

" I was just wondering if this is some sort of law? Can we open carry in banks in pierce county?"

There is no "Pierce County" That implies that Pierce County has its own firearms laws that are more restrictive than the State and Pre-emption says all laws in the State SHALL NOT be more restrictive, and based on the above Opinion and Laws, they cannot stop you.
The bank is private property. It is owned by a private company and is not a government building funded by tax payer dollars. Your bolded statement only applies until the person is asked to conceal/leave. Once that is stated and the person refuses they are not complying with lawful conditions imposed.

Perhaps you should look at the definition of private versus public property before you waste your time posting another page of incorrect information.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

When I was a Wells Fargo customer I frequently OC'd in several branches and never had a problem.

I know for a fact it was seen by employees and managers a like, nothing was ever said.

My guess is the reaction was someone making an assumption there must be a policy due to personal bias, then speaking without any factual knowledge of what the actual policies are.