• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arlington to Fairfax --- Address Change

fryfrye

imported post

I looked thru the VA Permits thread and didn't find the exact answer I am looking for. I moved to Fairfax and need to get the address on my CHP updated. The VSP site says:

"The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit."

Does this mean I have to go back to Arlington to get the address changed to a Fairfax address?

fryfrye

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

fryfrye wrote:
I looked thru the VA Permits thread and didn't find the exact answer I am looking for. I moved to Fairfax and need to get the address on my CHP updated. The VSP site says:

"The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit."

Does this mean I have to go back to Arlington to get the address changed to a Fairfax address?

fryfrye
No - you would go to the clerk of court pertinent to your new address; however, it is not mandatory that the permit show your new address.

You may wish to as a matter of convenience i.e. as in using your permit as second ID when purchasing a gun, thereby avoiding questions/confusion. Don't forget DMV.

Yata hey

jsfrederick

imported post

A similar question. I'm moving from one location to another in the same county. I'll be doing a change of address with the DMV but not getting a new Drivers license as I renew in about a year. I guess I'll be getting a change of address card from the DMV to keep with my Drivers license.

According to what I've read in this thread, I DO NOT have to notify the circuit court that I've moved (for the purposes of my CHP). Is that correct. Just making sure I fully understand the rules.

Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jsfrederick wrote:
A similar question. I'm moving from one location to another in the same county. I'll be doing a change of address with the DMV but not getting a new Drivers license as I renew in about a year. I guess I'll be getting a change of address card from the DMV to keep with my Drivers license.

According to what I've read in this thread, I DO NOT have to notify the circuit court that I've moved (for the purposes of my CHP). Is that correct. Just making sure I fully understand the rules.

Thanks!
Correct - you are not required to notify them that you have moved.

Take note regarding where to go to get a new permit with your new address - I was incorrect/wrong in above post. The law states that you must go back to the original issuing clerk of court. That needs to be changed!

K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

I think that I would nevertheless try to get a replacement permit at my new location.

Yata hey

jsfrederick

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Take note regarding where to go to get a new permit with your new address - I was incorrect/wrong in above post. The law states that you must go back to the original issuing clerk of court. That needs to be changed!
Thanks Grape.

I'm lucky in that I'm staying in PW county. I can go over to the clerk's office at my convenience to get a new permit.

Glock27Bill

imported post

fryfrye wrote:
Anyone want to take a bet that when I goto Arlington they tell me to goto Fairfax and vice-versa?
Fairfax won't send you away.

They know the law.

The change of address form is a pdf on the Ffx County website.

They can mail you the new permit, but must have the old one in hand first.

I recently asked about this, they state that the turnaround is 3 days.

I'm moving 100 miles away, and can mail the app and my existing permit and get the new one mailed back to me, all within a week.