• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comments on SB6396

Capn Camo

imported post

Comments just filed with Delvin (WA LEgislature) et al.:

" At a time when our Nation is at WAR with Al Quaeda, and they are IN THIS COUNTRY, now is not the time for traitors in the Legislature to subvert the Constitution and attempt to disarm Citizens. We will not tolerate it.

Newt Gingrich comments incorporated by reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZiw3qVdFzw

6396 is about the "black rifle." It is the ENTRY LEVEL item needed to defeat terrorists. Our PDs are utterly understaffed and untrained to do so.

The RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS belongs to the Citizen, and the Legislature SHALL NOT usurp that.

Never mind that there is no such thing as an "assault weapon" Assault is a verb, it is not a modifier in the English language for the noun "weapon."

Your "NO" vote(s) are appreciated as are your leaning on the advocates of this traitorous, unConstitutional bill.

http://second-amendment.tripod.com"

joeroket

imported post

I fear it is hopeless that they will understand what these weapons are really used for in the hands of the vast majority of people.

On a side note, the word assault in assault weapon is an adjective.

heresolong

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Although as an interesting etymological aside, there is no listing for "assault" as an adjective in any dictionary that I have looked through. Assault is a noun or a verb in the English language except when redefined by liberals looking to make our arms seem scarier.

kparker

imported post

Capn Camo,

You might stick to firearm-related stuff and leave linguistics out of it. In fact a compound noun (i.e. a noun modifying another noun) is a regular feature of English. Please don't try to argue that "there's no such thing as an assault weapon" on the grounds that it's a grammatical mistake, because it isn't.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I by no means want to defend the anti's use of the word since we know there is no such thing as an assault weapon.

But wouldn't it be like saying "running shoes"?

Hmmm on second thought though saying "assault shoes" doesn't seem to fit no matter how I try to make it work. :D

Metalhead47

imported post

Assault weapon is a made up term for liberal propaganda referring to scary-looking semiautomatic rifles covered in tacticool doodads. They are not used by any military.

Assault rifle is a legitimate term referring to small to medium-powered military-spec rifles that are, by definition, fully-automatic, and already illegal in WA state. (M-16, AK-47, etc)

joeroket

imported post

heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Although as an interesting etymological aside, there is no listing for "assault" as an adjective in any dictionary that I have looked through. Assault is a noun or a verb in the English language except when redefined by liberals looking to make our arms seem scarier.
Very interesting. This may be one the defies grammatical law. :lol:

After reading your post I found that "assault weapon" is actually listed in Webster's dictionary as a noun with a date of 1973 and is defined as " any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms".

Where in the hell did they get that?

kito109654

imported post

joeroket wrote:
heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Very interesting. This may be one the defies grammatical law. :lol:

After reading your post I found that "assault weapon" is actually listed in Webster's dictionary as a noun with a date of 1973 and is defined as " any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms".

Where in the hell did they get that?

HAHAHA, the Webster's Dictionary for Anti's.

I agree with leaving out linguistics. The fact is that connotationalways has been and always will bestronger than denotation.