• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Randy Forbes, Congressman 4th District of VA sends pro 2A e-mail

Thundar

imported post

I have moved from the Police Home Assault Capital of Virginia (Chesapeake) to Newport News.One of thethings I miss about Chesapeake is the Progun stance of my old Congressman.

Here is his E-mail:

Dear Friend:

Does the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution apply to the states?In a nutshell, this is the question that the Supreme Court will consider as it hears arguments in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

I unequivocally believe that the Second Amendment - further bolstered by the Fourteenth Amendment to protect constitutional rights against abuse by state and local governments- appliesto the states. And, as the Supreme Court considers this case, I’ve signed an amicus brief that outlines the legal and historical evidence for this position. You can read this brief here.

On another topic:Many of you have written to me expressing your opposition to the Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record Sale Act of 2009, which prohibits anyone from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a license. I strongly oppose this legislation, which requires all handgun owners to submit to the federal government an application that includes, among other things: a photo; an address; a thumbprint; a completed, written firearm safety test; private mental health records; and a fee.

H.R. 45 would also prohibit the transfer or sale of a firearm by anyone other than a licensed dealer who records a tracking authorization number, making a difficult and lengthy process for purchasing a gun and maintaining a license.This legislation has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.I sit on this committee and will fight to stop this legislation should it come up for a vote.

I’d like to hear from you on what you think of the work I’m doing in Congress.If you haven’t been to my Web site recently, please visit it at forbes.house.gov to read about what is happening in Congress and to sign up for my email newsletter, the Capitol Monitor.

Yours in service,

Randy Forbes
Member of Congress

PS – In addition to signing up for my weekly e-mail newsletter, the Capitol Monitor,follow what’s happening in Congress and share your input by visitingme on these social networking sites: