• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Bill 879 - AKA: The Library Loophole Civil Rights Suppression Act

Thundar

imported post

Here is the e-mail I sent to my delegate

Dear Delegate BaCote,

I am a registered voter in the 318[suP]th[/suP] Precinct (Wilson) of Newport News.

I am very disturbed by your sponsorship of House Bill 879 which would allow localities to strip the right of law abiding citizens to exercise a civil right in public libraries.

Why would you propose the suppression of civil rights? It is inconceivable to me.

This legislation would also create a patchwork of local laws which could ensnare otherwise law abiding citizens. Preventing this sort of situation is the very reason that we have a firearms preemption law in the Commonwealth.

Your Library Loophole will not prevent criminals from carrying firearms because they do not obey the law. Your Library Loophole will only disarm law abiding citizens that wish to use the library, turning those libraries into victim disarmament zones.

I respectfully ask you to reconsider and withdraw your support from this legislation which will suppress a civil right in Virginia.

Please let me know what you intend to do.

Thank you for your time,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Here is the e-mail I sent to my delegate 

Dear Delegate BaCote,

I am a registered voter in the 318[suP]th[/suP] Precinct (Wilson) of Newport News.

I am very disturbed by your sponsorship of House Bill 879 which would allow localities to strip the right of law abiding citizens to exercise a civil right in public libraries. 

Why would you propose the suppression of civil rights?  It is inconceivable to me.  

This legislation would also create a patchwork of local laws which could ensnare otherwise law abiding citizens.  Preventing this sort of situation is the very reason that we have a firearms preemption law in the Commonwealth.   

Your Library Loophole will not prevent criminals from carrying firearms because they do not obey the law.  Your Library Loophole will only disarm law abiding citizens that wish to use the library, turning those libraries into victim disarmament zones. 

I respectfully ask you to reconsider and withdraw your support from this legislation which will suppress a civil right in Virginia. 

Please let me know what you intend to do. 

Thank you for your time, 

xxxxxxxxxxxx
nice work.

2a4all

imported post

Good job, Thundar. You know that Mamie submits this bill every year. I think it's in response to the flap about the "No Weapons" signs that were posted at NN libraries a few years ago. The city was required to remove them.

On Lobby Day, my delegate, Robin Abbott, informed me (and severalother VCDL members)that she was a co-patron of Mamie's bill. We told her that she had made a poor choice because we were happy with preemption just the way it is, and that the bill wasn't necessary because people weren't being gunned down in libraries. I think Mamie got her to sign on because she is the new kid on the block.

On a side note, Robin was the only politician with constituents whose homes contain Chinese Drywall (Hollymede) not mentioned in the recentDP story. Yet she's a consumer advocate lawyer...:banghead: