• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOCer stopped in E Palo Alto store and asked to leave

cato

imported post

It's working for me.

Here is the 'Paul Harvy'.

News report inspires man to display gun in E. Palo Alto store

By Jessica Bernstein-Wax

Daily News Staff Writer

A man apparently inspired by a news report on Open Carry gun activists strolled into an East Palo Alto supermarket with a handgun on his hip Wednesday and began shopping for groceries, police said.

The store manager at Mi Pueblo Food Center in the Ravenswood 101 shopping complex alerted police after patrons became frightened, said East Palo Alto police Sgt. Roderick Norris.

About four officers responded and found the man with an unloaded, holstered handgun on his hip and a loaded magazine in his pocket shopping in the store. Police determined he hadn't broken any laws, but the store manager asked him to leave, Norris said.

"Each business has the prerogative not to serve anyone that they want," Norris said. "He's not part of any group or organization according to him. He just wanted to exercise his rights. I guess he ... saw on TV that it was legal to do so."

The man, who lives in Redwood City, later apologized to police and said "he didn't really think it out," Norris added.

Open Carry advocates have made headlines in recent weeks for displaying unloaded, holstered guns in public places around the Bay Area. The group has said it wants every state to legalize carrying loaded guns in public.

California Penal Code bars carrying concealed weapons without a county-issued license but says it isn't a crime to openly display a firearm in a belt holster. However, it remains illegal for the gun to be loaded in most cases.

"The concern for us is that you don't know what the mind set of this person is," Norris said. "You don't know if they're out there just expressing their right to do this or if they have something more sinister in mind."

In a statement earlier this month, Lt. Ray Lunny of the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office warned residents that officers have the authority to examine visible firearms to make sure they are unloaded.

"Open carry advocates create a potentially very dangerous situation," Lunny said. "When police are called to a 'man with a gun' call they typically are responding to a situation about which they have few details other than that one or more people are present at a location and are armed. Officers may have no idea that these people are simply 'exercising their rights.' "

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Gundude wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
I couldn't get the link to work not sure if it's me or the link.
It's you.
I figured, been having connection problems lately.

"mindset" that the new police catchphrase. I heard this personally from the Deputy Chief of Bellingham and several other police officers.

I told them the first clue to my mindset is I am open carrying, most criminals hide their weapons.

I also have found managers will use one complaint from a customer or outright lie about 'panicking customers' to push their own private agenda.

Rugerp345

imported post

"You don't know if they're out there just expressing their right to do this or if they have something more sinister in mind."

Anyone wearing a gun must be up to no good. We should assume they are guilty until we interrogate them and maybe a little waterboarding to find out what their intentions are. Maybe we should flip a coin:

HEADS: Something "sinister" in mind.
TAILS: Exercising their right.

cato

imported post

In certain parts of Ca OC will be convictedby the court of generalpublic opinion -at this time. And the media ARE not our friends. Why some are trying to wage a public information campaign right now is beyond my strategic understanding.

"Darwin" arrestees also do us a disservicein the public relations sphere. We really need to be operating from the protection of a court protected right before taking this "campaign" to the public. They deserve to have a clear and exercisable RKBA and not be put in jeopardy of loosing their Rights for not having "thought about it". People are going to hear the news stories, not hear about GFSZ, strap up and walk out the door.

This individual, although not yet faced with 626.9,could bejust like the 74 y.o. GFSZ arrestee, facing a 10 year loss of rights in Ca. And the 74 yois still I think to this daynot taking advice from those who are trying to help his situation.

cato

imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
"You don't know if they're out there just expressing their right to do this or if they have something more sinister in mind."
Anyone wearing a gun must be up to no good. We should assume they are guilty until we interrogate them and maybe a little water boarding to find out what their intentions are. Maybe we should flip a coin:

And until PC 12031 e is struck down, which authorizes inspection of firearms where the loaded ban is in effect, the state's agents will feel free to create conflict and a "dangerous situation" where none need exist absent normal RAS to detain for investigation.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

cato wrote:
Rugerp345 wrote:
Anyone wearing a gun must be up to no good. We should assume they are guilty until we interrogate them and maybe a little water boarding to find out what their intentions are. Maybe we should flip a coin:

And until PC 12031 e is struck down, which authorizes inspection of firearms where the loaded ban is in effect, the state's agents will feel free to create conflict and a "dangerous situation" where none need exist absent normal RAS to detain for investigation.
Is E-check mandatory?

cato

imported post

Thepeace officermay check...
12031 (e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for
the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized
to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory.
Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to
this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of
this section.
This sub-section will fall to a federal court challenge in the not so distant future, a little birdie told me so...:cool:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

mjones wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Is E-check mandatory?
Absolutely not.
Cato wrote:

Rugerp345 wrote:

This to me show the intent of officers who know it is legal, yet don't use discretion to just let you go if you are not engaged in any unlawful activity. And they create their own "dangerous" situation.

The general public does not seem to be the problem in California. I don't think any major news that I have seen has been "bad press" or detrimental to the movement. It is the press releases, and interviews and actions of California LEO's that are causing the problem.

coolusername2007

imported post

cato wrote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14282441?nclick_check=1

A man apparently inspired by a news report on Open Carry gun activists...
The man, who lives in Redwood City, later apologized to police and said "he didn't really think it out," Norris added.

Another'darwin' GFSZ arrestee in the making...

Yet another example of LEA over-reaction...this time to a man shopping for groceries. Let's not label him a 'darwin'...he didn't do anything wrong, didn't break the law, and I suspect in reality the only peoplehe "frightened" was the right people.

As far as his quote, I suspect he didn't really know what to say to the media and/or LEO's (wholikelyintimidated him), andquite franklyhe shouldn't have to "really think about it"...he's exercising his rights.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

"The concern for us is that you don't know what the mind set of this person is,"

Well........judging from his actions, any reasonable person could tell that his intention was to buy some groceries. When someone is gong to rob a store they usually (I'd bet somewhere in the neighborhood of 99.99% of the time) don't openly carry their weapon and shop for groceries prior to committing a felony at said location. Just an observation. BTW that kind of fear-mongoring, slanted journalism really torques my lugnuts.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

For those not familiar with East Palo Alto, at one time it was the murder capitol of Ca. It's still a place I avoid at all costs. The vast majority of the population is people of "color" and most crimes committed there or in nearby towns are usually committed bybad guys from EPA. I think there is a large contingency of Pacific Islanders also. You don't want to mess with them. Most of the males arepoor, uneducated, and unemployed, andweight 250lbs and up. The EPA PD consistently have to call neighboring PD and CHP for mutual aid when things really go bad there.

The sad thing about EPA is that affluent Palo Alto is rightnext door. Homes there run in the multi-millions, if you can find one.

If I went shopping in EPA, especially in a Mexican-oriented super market, I'd OC also. Might even CC just for safety. Friday and Saturday nights are bad. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would venture into that war zone late on weekend nights.

SouthBayr

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
For those not familiar with East Palo Alto, at one time it was the murder capitol of Ca.  It's still a place I avoid at all costs.  The vast majority of the population is people of "color" and most crimes committed there or in nearby towns are usually committed by bad guys from EPA.  I think there is a large contingency of Pacific Islanders also.  You don't want to mess with them.  Most of the males are poor, uneducated, and unemployed, and weight 250lbs and up.  The EPA PD consistently have to call neighboring PD and CHP for mutual aid when things really go bad there.

The sad thing about EPA is that affluent Palo Alto is right next door.  Homes there run in the multi-millions, if you can find one.

If I went shopping in EPA, especially in a Mexican-oriented super market, I'd OC also.  Might even CC just for safety.  Friday and Saturday nights are bad.  I don't know anyone in their right mind that would venture into that war zone late on weekend nights.

It's not as bad as it used to be, but I still wouldn't hang around there at night.