• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your first time

protias

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Come to Wyoming. I carry all day, every day, everywhere. Nobody bats an eye.
If you know anyone in need of an IT guy, I'll gladly move there.

MamaLiberty

imported post

protias wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:
Come to Wyoming. I carry all day, every day, everywhere. Nobody bats an eye.
If you know anyone in need of an IT guy, I'll gladly move there.
You might need to find another line of work, but we do still have jobs here. We need all kinds of skills, such as electricians, machinists, mechanics, construction workers of all kinds, that sort of thing. Truck drivers and heavy equipment operators, welders and so forth can do VERY well for themselves.

But I know several folks in IT jobs, most that brought their jobs with them from somewhere else. They LOVE working from home, and taking a lunch break to shoot off their back porch. LOL

Just type Wyoming Jobs into a search engine.

cscitney87

imported post

wolfman90 wrote:
I am very new to the whole firearms world. I was wondering how you all out there finally got the courage to finally open carry for the first time. I know that there will be some out there that will say that they have always had the courage, but as of now I am not. Any words of wisdom would be appriciated
I'm 22 and purchased my first pistol last year. I open carried for the first time a few months later. I CAN'T shake the nervous feeling when I OC in town. I just cannot. I can barely stand the feeling I get when I see any cop car. That being said- I carry almost everywhere!:D Here's the trick that worked for me... Find a National Forest. Or your State Forest. Or your local park.. Whatever suites your area laws... Get somewhere public yet secluded. Get far out there. Take that drive down that 1 road that goes forever. Then Open Carry. Open Carry, on public land, but not near the public. In Colorado, here, I used a National Forest. My very first OC ever- I drove an hour away, parked in the lot-alone, and went for my first hike carrying openly.

You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free.

That's your break-in for carrying at the super market or gas station.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Vipersx911 wrote:
Only wish California was more accepting of the issue, and one of these days I will finally test it and see the experience I have with it out here.

My experience working with some of the California LEOs (certainly all, and possibly not even most!) is that a few know either department policy or their own policy better than the law. In short, some have been ingrained with a "no gun" mindset.

Fortunately, they don't appear to be in the majority. Even so, it'll take time to ensure the rest hear the flip side of the story. I've been busy doing just that, yet am surprised how receptive they were, particularly on some of the LEO-specific sites.

It takes time and patience...

Big Boy

imported post

I started by just getting used to having my gun on me. It's about an hour drive to my parents house, so I'd take it with me whenever I went home. After that I started making stops on the way home. Go by a gas station, go get something to go from McD's, whatever. Try going into a gun shop, or bass pro type place which may be slightly more accepting of guns and poke around for 30min to an hour. Eventually you get more comfortable with it. I can still say no body has ever even said anything to me about it. And I have gotten no weird looks. I doubt most people even notice it.

The only thing I don't like about OC is winter. I'm in Missouri and 21, and they don't do CC till 23. So I have to be POSITIVE my coat doesn't accidentally slide over my gun, because then I am doing something illegal.

cscitney87

imported post

Big Boy wrote:
I started by just getting used to having my gun on me. It's about an hour drive to my parents house, so I'd take it with me whenever I went home. After that I started making stops on the way home. Go by a gas station, go get something to go from McD's, whatever. Try going into a gun shop, or bass pro type place which may be slightly more accepting of guns and poke around for 30min to an hour. Eventually you get more comfortable with it. I can still say no body has ever even said anything to me about it. And I have gotten no weird looks. I doubt most people even notice it.

The only thing I don't like about OC is winter. I'm in Missouri and 21, and they don't do CC till 23. So I have to be POSITIVE my coat doesn't accidentally slide over my gun, because then I am doing something illegal.
Hey there are drop holsters that will lower the butt of the gun below your belt and below the jacket edge. I just use a black leather jacket- not long not short just whatever anyway. I don't even use a drop holster. We are in the same boat.

Big Boy

imported post

Yeah, I'm just not a fan of drop legs. I think they look very mall ninja-ish with jeans. My coat comes to my belt, so I just tuck it behind the gun and it's no big deal. I just have to check it every time I sit and stand.

cscitney87

imported post

Big Boy wrote:
Yeah, I'm just not a fan of drop legs. I think they look very mall ninja-ish with jeans. My coat comes to my belt, so I joust tuck it behind the gun and it's no big deal. I just have to check it every time I sit and stand.
Exactly. :cool:

Vipersx911

imported post

Although CA is a UOC state having loaded magazines on your other hip in a holster is not illegal here. I have been doing research and trying to get up the nerve to do it out here. I just dont like what I have heard about people who open carry from LEO. The people arent doing anything wrong just exercising their rights however from my understanding from police they do treat UOC people as suspects out here with a possible hot stop involved which I would rather not experience. But you are right an unloaded gun means it might as well be a bow and arrow without the arrow. Hopefully will get to move to AZ after graduation from the university. Than it wont matter anymore.

Vipersx911

imported post

Unfortunately all of the SDPD officers that I have talked to on the subject have had the "No Gun" mindset one of the officers that I ran into at the range even went as far to say that he hot stops the people he comes across Carrying an unloaded weapon.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Vipersx911 wrote:
Unfortunately all of the SDPD officers that I have talked to on the subject have had the "No Gun" mindset one of the officers that I ran into at the range even went as far to say that he hot stops the people he comes across Carrying an unloaded weapon.
Wow, so foreign to me - such a different mindset. I'm not saying that all Virginia state and local LEO's are totally gun-friendly. But I would bet over 90% are. I have yet to have a bad encounter with a Virginia LEO.

younggun20

imported post

My first few times OCing i was very nervous, and often un holstered when going into some places.
I would for instance carry into the 711 a block away from my house because i have been going there since i was 6 or 7 they know me and know im a good guy. But I would be nervous to carry into stores like walmart because I wasn't sure how it would go. So I would un holster and re holster when i returned to my car.
Finally my fiance said "if your going to carry, carry everywhere you can."

I have been open carrying for over a year now and have really only had 3 or 4 ppl stop me and question me. As long as you know your rights and sound confident when talking to ppl about it and answer their questions, I dont think you should have any problems.

Stay safe, stay armed

SsevenN

imported post

I began my journey in to open carry w/ a good friend who's now back home in the NE. In the beggining, it was nice to have a friend around. A kind of support that helped me through the "getting used to it" phase.

Talk to your buddys, find out if any of them are interested in firearms, and more specifically open carry. If any of them are, strap up and run some errands together.

OC is great, the taste of liberty is sweet.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My first time OC in public was Florida around 1961.Dunno the legaities... but it went with the program out in the swamps 'n road houses. Nobody cared. In 1966 after my 1st tour in 'Nam I was TAD to MCAS Yuma (a lot). Off dutyI OC'd a 1911. 'Been in-out of AZ/NM ever since 'til I finally moved here for good in '03.

I've OC'd a S-A 1911, DM 40 or 9x18 Makarovevery day since. It's part of gettin' dressed.Thankfully, Arizona isn't one of those paranoid nanny states. OC has been the norm here since Territorial days and prior. There's no problem with any of the LEA's 'cause they're 'Zonies too. Oh... there's the usual anti-politicians and assorted hand-wringers but they hardly compare to the hoplophobic hysteria that exists elsewhere. Did I mention there's no 'permit' required to openly carry a weapon? Pretty soon that might be the case for concealed within AZ as well.TheBill is in the legislature now. There were no CWP's prior to '94.

Gotta love Arizona's freedom.:)

thumper

imported post

Generally, I try to CC. However if my jacket or shirttailrides up a little I'm ok with it, and for practical purposes it is perfectly fine for folks to know you have a piece.

The downsides as I see it, are 1) folks are fearful of guns in general because they are uninformed and stupid, and will react by summoning LE, thus creating an unnecessary annoyance or worse,and 2) weapon retention in a fight. If the BG doesn't know you are armed, he cannot disarm you, and you will have the advantage of blowing a series of large bloody holes in him. OC, the bastid can disarm you and put the large bloody holes in you. So if you are not specifically trained in weapon retention, or use gear with retention features, you would be safer if you went CC. Or just don't go out at all. If you areunable or unwilling to fight for your life, for real, then you got no business carrying.

Remember: Guns don't kill people, large bloody holes do.:monkey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

There is no documented evidence of an LAC open carrier being disarmed anywhere. CC is a differrent story. OC is a positive deterrent. Nobody has the 'right' to be fearful in the absence of criminal behavior.Opinion is not law.

Kingfish

imported post

thumper wrote:
...and 2) weapon retention in a fight. If the BG doesn't know you are armed, he cannot disarm you, and you will have the advantage of blowing a series of large bloody holes in him. OC, the bastid can disarm you and put the large bloody holes in you. So if you are not specifically trained in weapon retention, or use gear with retention features, you would be safer if you went CC. Or just don't go out at all. If you areunable or unwilling to fight for your life, for real, then you got no business carrying.

Remember: Guns don't kill people, large bloody holes do.
Would you happen to have ANY evidence to back this up? Anecdotal or otherwise? A news article, a police report, a first hand account? Anything but a feeling?

Oh, and I would recon the VAST majority of OCers use holsters with at least some levels of retention. Here is mine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TI2VZ4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001PQNI70&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EGAD924NXSPXB347931

bomber

imported post

wolfman90 wrote:
I am very new to the whole firearms world. I was wondering how you all out there finally got the courage to finally open carry for the first time. I know that there will be some out there that will say that they have always had the courage, but as of now I am not. Any words of wisdom would be appriciated.

just do it. forget about the consequences. peoples reactions may or may not come, but f*** em, they're just people. i open carry every chance i get, and i have not had any problems yet. one lady got huge eyeballs when she saw my gun on my hip in the bank, but in 6 months, thats the only reaction i have gotten so far.