Thread: Loaded oc on your own property

Post imported post

I'm aware of the penal code section permitting LOC (or concealed) on your property.

Does it matter what part of the property? If you have an average size home on an average size lot and you're in the front yard mowing the yard while LOC, and someone calls PD to report MWG can they come on the property and question you?

Also, suppose a friend comes over and he decides to LOC with my permission is heallowed to do so even though he'snot on his own property? And is OC legalwhen you liveacross the street from a school as long as you're on your own property?

Apology if this subject has been discussed before.

Thank you

Post imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
    I'm aware of the penal code section permitting LOC (or concealed) on your property.

Does it matter what part of the property? If you have an average size home on an average size lot and you're in the front yard mowing the yard while LOC, and someone calls PD to report MWG can they come on the property and question you?

Also, suppose a friend comes over and he decides to LOC with my permission is heallowed to do so even though he'snot on his own property? And is OC legalwhen you liveacross the street from a school as long as you're on your own property?

Thank you
    As I understand it, if the officer (and for that matter the general public) can walk to where you are without opening a gate or jumping a fence then the private property exemption does not apply. Thus Backyard and inside the residence or garage would be OK, but an open front yard would be risking violation.

Post imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
    Hawaii FiveO wrote:

Thank you
    As I understand it, if the officer (and for that matter the general public) can walk to where you are without opening a gate or jumping a fence then the private property exemption does not apply. Thus Backyard and inside the residence or garage would be OK, but an open front yard would be risking violation.
    Cite?

Post imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
    Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
    Hawaii FiveO wrote:

Thank you
    Cite?
    If they find you to be violating 626.9 that's no cite, its a hook 'n book. For that matter, so is a 12031 or 12025 violation.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

People v Overturf is one of several reasons why your front yard is a public place. Also People v Strider clarified that if it is fenced and gated (at least 3 feet) then it's private.

Look in this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/36464.html

And you can find links to these cases.

Post imported post

[quote]bah....forum completely munched my post

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote:
    People v Overturf is one of several reasons why your front yard is a public place. Also People v Strider clarified that if it is fenced and gated (at least 3 feet) then it's private.

Thank you MudCamper. I read a very, very long case law. Here is just about everything you want to know about yards, fences, etc.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/...es/b204571.pdf

I found my answer to my initial questions.

Post imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
    MudCamper wrote:

Thank you MudCamper. I read a very, very long case law. Here is just about everything you want to know about yards, fences, etc.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/...es/b204571.pdf

I found my answer to my initial questions.
    Good reading and very informative.