• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactless humor @ Further Confusion 2010 - SNL Skit by FurrHappens.com

david.ross

imported post

Below is a copy from my own personal livejournal entry. I'm sharing with the opencarry community the tactless "humor" which was shared at Further Confusion. There were many people upset, and I seriously don't see why they allowed the skit to be played in the first place.

This was deleted from the furcon LJgroup. I've posted the video in question below.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n6g3t.jpg

Link to original SNL original: http://www.idkwtf.com/videos/latest-videos/dear-sister-snl-digital-short

The skit was such in poor taste. Idon't find any humor in the video, though I've training and understanding of firearms. Maybe you'll understand how distasteful the sit is after you see a gunshot wound with the person crying for help as their gut in burning from a hot piece of metal. When you're shot, you don't fall instantly. Some people do fall, but the fall is psychological i nature since the person "thinks" the need to fall. A person has enough time to pull out a gun and fire even if shot center of mass.

There is no humor in a gun fight, there is no humor in suicide, there is no humor in death.

I'm disappointed at Further Confusion staff for allowing the skit to be played. I'm disappointed in the person from Furr Happens for having such poor taste and no real imagination. I'm disappointed at everyone who believes the video to be funny, only to make themselves look like immature untrained uneducated morons who themselves can't understand the seriousness of getting shot.

The person who made the skit should apologize.

[flash=560,340]http://www.youtube.com/v/9WrndSlrAuE&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

1245A Defender

imported post

what is even the point of posting this so i could find out what is tasteless and you saw it somewhere so now ive waisted my time and so many more people will watch it too and they wont know why you are such a drag in this forum

PT111

imported post

Someway I have missed the whole point of either video or of this entire thread. Is there more to all of this so I can understand any of the time I wasted watching,reading and typing?

david.ross

imported post

Nozoki wrote:
I thought the original SNL version was hilarious.
Would you care to please explain what you find humorous?

The only valid response I've received apart from, "it just is", is "the dramatic acting is humorous."

Nozoki

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Nozoki wrote:

The only valid response I've received apart from, "it just is", is "the dramatic acting is humorous."
Because it's so absurd. Everyone starts shooting everyone for no reason, and it's just ridiculous. And the overly dramatic presentation adds to the absurdity. Why do I find that funny? I don't know. Sometimes "it just is" is a valid reason as to why someone finds something funny. Humor is very subjective. I think the 3 Stooges are comic geniuses, my wife thinks they are just stupid and violent. They hit each other with tools, poke each other in the eyes, burn themselves with hot irons. And it's hilarious. Sometimes violence is just plain funny. We all know that in real life these things would be terrible, but that's why we need to laugh at them sometimes.

And as to your claim that there is no humor in a gunfight.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqDfjY-OPWc

XD40coyote

imported post

Are the people in the audience all passing around crack pipes and bongs? I mean the SNL orginal wasn't even funny...

Is that one fursuit a coyote? The one who shoots the reindeer/caribou at the beginning...

Tomahawk

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Nozoki wrote:

Your offended reaction, for starters. It's an SNL skit, for cryin' out loud. Don't be wound up so tight. It's not like this is the first comedy sketch involving gunshots.

BTW, thanks for posting this. I haven't seen it since it aired originally, and it is hilarious.

ETA: Maybe you could explain what the deal with the "Furry" thing is, "Kangaroo". To me that's more alarming than a comedy sketch.

david.ross

imported post

Nozoki wrote:

>And as to your claim that there is no humor in a gunfight.....

I probably would've laughed at the video if I were a teen and uneducated. Since I've realized the real world(tm), such topics, plays, jokes, and movies are not funny to me.

Tomahawk wrote:
ETA: Maybe you could explain what the deal with the "Furry" thing is, "Kangaroo". To me that's more alarming than a comedy sketch.
Further Confusion is a convention where furries can meet, greet, and have fun. FC is held each year in San Jose, California. There are many conventions around the world which are strictly furry related.

XD40coyote wrote:
Are the people in the audience all passing around crack pipes and bongs? I mean the SNL orginal wasn't even funny...

Is that one fursuit a coyote? The one who shoots the reindeer/caribou at the beginning...
I think it was a coyote, sometimes you can't be sure

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good grief.

A sketch/skit is posted because the OPer is offended?

Not because its a Brady attack ad on gun rights. Because it offended the OPer.

Saints preserve us.

Thread lock,please.

KBCraig

imported post

http://failblog.org/2010/01/31/fury-fail/

epic-fail-fury-fail.jpg

crisisweasel

imported post

Why is this funny.

Because shooting and death isn't. It's the same reason why the end scene of The Life of Brian, where they're all merrily singing along on crucifixes is funny, or why John Cleese riffed on the parrot sketch ("This is an ex-Graham Chapman") at Chapman's funeral.

We laugh at serious things to hit back in the only way we can, by reducing the metaphysical significance of tragedy. It is the only weapon we have over things we are powerless over. It is why I didn't begrudge people shuttle jokes after the shuttle disasters. People who are offended by this kind of thing have a *personal problem*.

The humor impaired assume humor is a light treat for good times. You laugh at things which don't matter -- well, I'm not wired that way. I don't have to laugh at light things specifically because they don't matter.

I have to laugh at serious, horrible things, specifically because I have no control over the situation. It is all I can do.

Were you equally upset at the end of Dr. Strangelove, when Slim Pickens rides the nuke down to the apocalypse like he was in a rodeo? Because I laughed like a hyena at nuclear obliteration of planet earth, and did so without guilt.

People who find dark humor distasteful are people who don't understand that we recoil in horror at tragedy just as much, but rather than deal with this through solemnity, depression, and all of that tedious wallowing in victimhood and sadness crap, we choose to take the wind out of it the best that we can.

I, for one, am not going to be a prisoner to the prospect of violence and death. And nowhere more than here does the old saw fit best:

F' em if they can't take a joke.

Incidentally, I have entrusted a friend with $1,000.00 to pay off strangers (or other willing friends) to one day disrupt my funeral in ways I specify, which involve silly string, clown costumes, and rubber chickens, and rickrolls.

Humor is one way - possibly the best way - of not going gentle into that good night.

If you have not been able to laugh at the worst tragedies humanity can experience, that, to me, is like owning a Ferrari and driving it 25 miles an hour. Humor is a capacity only humans experience, and it is a tool in our consciousness which can be utilized to take all of the wind out of the crap the universe (or God, if you believe in God) tends to visit down upon us, seemingly at random, any second of any day.

Don't think for any second it makes us casual about death.

It just means we're not going to be death's little bitch and sob our way through all of the catalysmic possibilities the universe offers.