• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused reactions to OC in Kenner Wal-Mart?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

barf wrote:
So Mike, your post is a bit ambiguous. What are your thoughts about groups of OCers banding together into more formal organizations to promote, defend, and raise awareness about open carry at the local & state levels?
it's already happenning, e.g.,Michigan Open Carry Inc, Wisconsin Carry Inc., PAOpenCarry.org, etc.

barf

imported post

Mike wrote:
barf wrote:
So Mike, your post is a bit ambiguous. What are your thoughts about groups of OCers banding together into more formal organizations to promote, defend, and raise awareness about open carry at the local & state levels?
it's already happenning, e.g.,Michigan Open Carry Inc, Wisconsin Carry Inc., PAOpenCarry.org, etc.
Mike, what are YOUR THOUGHTS about these groups?

wendell chenault

imported post

Why must some people on here have to act like smart butts (and I'm being nice)to those that are new to OC or CC. Some people are new to the site and haven't spent endless hours looking for the sites that talk about a certain subject. Come on! If you want to help a cause then be alittle nicer and help educate these folks.

Why should you maybe talk to a Wal Mart Manager about OC. I'll tell you why. I have seen some of the pics of some guys meeting at the strip in Las Vagas promoting OC. Maybe they didn't mean too but they looked like trouble with their arms all folded up and giving the impression of "Yeah we're OCing! What's it to ya!" I don't want to give off that impression. If I'm up front with a manager and maybe he/she isn't aware of the laws of the area, you have the chance to educate them and do it under more pleasant conditions other than the police maybe bring called and you end up wasting alot more time of yours and the police. I ride dirt bikes and street bikes and I hate thelooks people give me just because I ride a bike. I don't want to be known as a jerk before someone actually meets me and knows me. The first impression can never be done over and I must say that if some of you go into a business with the impression that you betray on here, then you deserve the hassel and to be arrested even if it is for a short time and under a false pretext.

Maybe I'm not cut out for OC. Not all people are. I do want to exercise my right to OC but not the way some of you are talking about.

Yale I like your thought...anyone got a website with Wal Marts policy???

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Wal-Mart's official, unofficial policy:

Wal-Mart's policy is that they mirror state law. If it's legal to OC and/or CC in your state, they recognize the law and allow carry in the stores. However, at the same time, they allow each store's management to make the call whether to allow OC or not. In other words, if someone complains, they will ask you to cover up,put the gun in your vehicle, or leave..
Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

turbodog

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Hate to disappoint ya, but I"m here to stay.

You really should consider confirming things before you spout them as fact.

But, I forget, you are just like the rest here, not the least bit interested in the truth.
mark I was never under the idea that any admonishment from me would make you leave.

I usually just spout opinion. When I spout facts I try to cite sources, like the quotes used in my post.
But please, fill me in on just what is "fact", because believe it or not, I am indeed interested in the truth. When I've been found to ere, I admit to it. You, yourself have had the benefit of that in the Amite ordinance discussion. Recall?

Show me where I'm wrong and educate me on the facts. Make it a PM if you want, I'll be happy to get it off the forum.

sraacke

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Wal-Mart's official, unofficial policy:

Wal-Mart's policy is that they mirror state law. If it's legal to OC and/or CC in your state, they recognize the law and allow carry in the stores. However, at the same time, they allow each store's management to make the call whether to allow OC or not. In other words, if someone complains, they will ask you to cover up,put the gun in your vehicle, or leave..
Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
(1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx
Thanks but that's not quite the same as having a copy of the policy to have on hand when confronted by a store employee. I'd perfer an actual policy number or at least a name of someone who is qualified to speak for WM corporate and not just an email or 800 number answered by some nameless cubical phone jockey. This is a matter of educating store staff and telling them to call the 800 number as they are standing there with the extra duty police officer telling you to leave is not really going to cut it.Neither is a policy of"ifsomeone complains". The problem is that anyone can complain for any reason and you will never know who did so or why or if anyone really did complain or if the employee is just lying about a customer complaint to have your evil looking death tool removed from his store.

jensen_lover

imported post

The moreI think about it the more I believe the cop brought me outside to save face. We were far from causing a scene as there were onlyfour people in the sporting goods section, cop, security guard, cashier, and myself. He did not ask me to leave right away, instead he walked out with me after I explained the laws.

I went to get my CC liscense the other day. It is really hard to support a cause when the so-called proponents can barely agree on ANYTHING. Bicker, bicker, complain, low-blow, then bicker some more seem to be the order around here. I will continue to OC until my CC liscense comes in, but after that who knows. Give me a reason to support this cause and maybeI will continue to OC.

I do appreciate everyone having my back. But do you suppose 10,000 people out of a county of 300 million will matter. The reason women and blacks have the right to vote is because they made up enormous number of the population. MLK made them realize that the black vote could change the way things are done. MLK was a proponent of non-violent resistance. Maybe we should get some new crews somewhere and open carry with blue guns.

jensen_lover

imported post

One more thing- the instructor of my class said that open carry is our right, but that right can not infringe on others right. Specifically the right to peace. (I'm paraphrasing) He said we no longerhave the right to open carrying once that right disturbs someone else's peace. We can not expect to be able to exercise our right at the expense of another's rights.

He explained that the range master can carry on his thigh because people expect to see guns inside a shooting range. He will not be infringing on anyone's rights because once they enter the range they are expecting to see guns- and if they do not like guns they will stay outside.

Superlite27

imported post

He said we no longerhave the right to open carrying once that right disturbs someone else's peace. We can not expect to be able to exercise our right at the expense of another's rights.

You tell him from me that he's so full of it, his eyes are turning brown. Anyone who believes this tripe shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Ask him to verify by showing you where this "right" is written.

Does this "right" alsopertain to other perfectly legal activities? If someone'sideas offendme, can't I call the police for them talking? After all, I also have this wonderful right to not be offended. Isn't that where their free speech ends?How about blue shirts? If I am offended by people who wear a blue shirt, can I call the cops? After all, it's a legal act as much as OC, yet it offends me. So, if I no longer have the right to defend myself because someone else is offended by my lawful act, show me where the right to not be offended by other lawful acts is written.
We can not expect to be able to exercise our right at the expense of another's rights.

I know I have the God given right to defend myself. Please show me this mysterious "right to not be offended". Expense ofanother's right to_________? What?Please give me the government references to this other person's right. Which exact right is it?

Using this logic, we should have never allowed women to vote, or African Americans to attend the same schools. After all, didn't their right to do so infringe on this mysterious "right" of the public to not be uncomfortable?

jensen_lover

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
He said we no longerhave the right to open carrying once that right disturbs someone else's peace. We can not expect to be able to exercise our right at the expense of another's rights.

You tell him from me that he's so full of it, his eyes are turning brown. Anyone who believes this tripe shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Ask him to verify by showing you where this "right" is written.

Does this "right" alsopertain to other perfectly legal activities? If someone'sideas offendme, can't I call the police for them talking? After all, I also have this wonderful right to not be offended. Isn't that where their free speech ends?How about blue shirts? If I am offended by people who wear a blue shirt, can I call the cops? After all, it's a legal act as much as OC, yet it offends me. So, if I no longer have the right to defend myself because someone else is offended by my lawful act, show me where the right to not be offended by other lawful acts is written.
We can not expect to be able to exercise our right at the expense of another's rights.

I know I have the God given right to defend myself. Please show me this mysterious "right to not be offended". Expense ofanother's right to_________? What?Please give me the government references to this other person's right. Which exact right is it?

Using this logic, we should have never allowed women to vote, or African Americans to attend the same schools. After all, didn't their right to do so infringe on this mysterious "right" of the public to not be uncomfortable?

Well said. I guess I did not think of it that way with the blue shirt example. I guess I blindly believed the guy because he seemed really knowlegeable.

Superlite27

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
Well said. I guess I did not think of it that way with the blue shirt example. I guess I blindly believed the guy because he seemed really knowlegeable.

Thanks. I wrote a reply, but it got deeper and went astray, so I replied to you as a new thread here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/37572.html since I really wrote it for my own expression instead ofa response to you.

I have you to thank for causing me to think about my own beliefs as well.

turbodog

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Your instructor is an idiot, be sure and tell him I said so.

There is no such "right to peace."

I hope you have enough sense to see that for what it is: crap.
Unbelievably enough, I actually agree with mark this time.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
Was the unlawful stop of the Vegas OCer done by a LEO? If so, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Law enforcement (as government entities) is bound to obey the laws of the country/state/parish/city. Therefore, if they (legally) cannot stop you for OCing, you are completely justified in the march-type response.

If a Wal-Mart manager asks you to stop OCing on the property, it's a different ball game. It's a corporation, not a government entity, and as such they can ask you to take your gun outside. An armed march on Wal-Mart wouldn't do anything except probably get all of the marchers kicked out - and guess what, the manager would be legally justified in doing so.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should be able to walk into Wal-Mart armed and un-harassed just like on a public street in Louisiana. But private property owners (and their representatives) are legally allowed to ask you to leave the premises. If you want to change that, you need to change the law, through the legislative or judicial branches.
Aw, cmon... where would be the fun in playing the victim if we focused on how other property owners have rights, too?

PlugYer

imported post

To the person who got kicked out of Wallyworld AKA Wall Mart ,you need to shop my local Wally world in LaPlace I my self O carry daily and shop weekly their never a problem .I have been O carring aprox.7years now in the local area.

jensen_lover

imported post

PlugYer wrote:
To the person who got kicked out of Wallyworld AKA Wall Mart ,you need to shop my local Wally world in LaPlace I my self O carry daily and shop weekly their never a problem .I have been O carring aprox.7years now in the local area.
FFFFFFFFFFFF that. LaPlace is too far. I went to the one on Jeff Highway once (my first open carry) and there was no problem. I just buy all of my groceries from Winn Dixie. Bullets are the only reason I went to Wal-Mart.