• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best CC or BUG

TylerJ87

imported post

I am just looking to pick your brain about CC or BUGs. I really liked the Kel Tec that the Sheriff had at the CPL class last weekend and was thinking about looking into something smaller than my Glock 19. Something that I could carry on me at all times but wouldn't be much of a nuisance.

WARCHILD

imported post

Take your pick, there's a lot to choose from. The best one is....anything that stops the threat.:p:D
Depending on my mood at the time, I usually opt for my Bersa Thunder .380 or my .22mag derringer.
It's all personal preference and comfort.

Michigander

imported post

If you want a small gun to carry as a primary, I do not suggest Kel Tec. With the snappy recoil causing longer recovery periods between shots, and the horrible trigger pull which is difficult to master at the range, nevermind under the stress of being attacked, I think they are poor choices for anything but 10' or less shoot outs. Remember, speed is fine, accuracy is final. Both are hard to attain with a Kel Tec pocket gun.

In general, if you want a CC gun as a stand alone defensive carry piece at times, I don't think you want to make any performance sacrifices. You want accuracy (a good trigger) and power with fast shooting. You want good capacity. You want fast and easy reloads. You want drop safety. You want a wide array of high quality holsters.

The smallest little Glocks offer many of the features desirable in a good carry gun. Particularly the C models. If you got a Glock 26 to go with your 19, you'd be able to share magazines with the 2 guns, except the one smaller carry mag that would go in the 26. You'd have a good combo for carrying both, or just the little one when deeper concealment is needed. It's what I'd do if I liked 9mm and had a G19.

G

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you want a small gun to carry as a primary, I do not suggest Kel Tec. With the snappy recoil causing longer recovery periods between shots, and the horrible trigger pull which is difficult to master at the range, nevermind under the stress of being attacked, I think they are poor choices for anything but 10' or less shoot outs. Remember, speed is fine, accuracy is final. Both are hard to attain with a Kel Tec pocket gun.

In general, if you want a CC gun as a stand alone defensive carry piece at times, I don't think you want to make any performance sacrifices. You want accuracy (a good trigger) and power with fast shooting. You want good capacity. You want fast and easy reloads. You want drop safety. You want a wide array of high quality holsters.

The smallest little Glocks offer many of the features desirable in a good carry gun. Particularly the C models. If you got a Glock 26 to go with your 19, you'd be able to share magazines with the 2 guns, except the one smaller carry mag that would go in the 26. You'd have a good combo for carrying both, or just the little one when deeper concealment is needed. It's what I'd do if I liked 9mm and had a G19.
I actually find your reasons for dismissing a Kel-Tec the very reasons I like it. (.380 & .32) The long trigger pull makes it perfect for me to carry in my back pocket sans holster. It is good for the most prevelent of criminal attacks which occur within 4'-8'. It is a pumpkin popper. Nothing more. Shove it under the chin of the assailant and pull the trigger until it stops firing. No "trigger control" necessary.

In applications where CC is a must w/o printing it works great. Especially in hot weather.

For "normal" CC I chose from a small selection dependant upon weather and attire. H&K USP40, G17, Kimber Pro Carry, Kimber Ultra Carry.

But having said that, I used to love wheel guns. The Charter Arms .38 spl or the S&W Airweight .357mag are excellent choices.

Here's a beauty:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77754

Here's another great deal on a very good revolver:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74124

Michigander

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
i'm a big fan of a .38 special 5 shot for a concealable bug. Dead reliable! (pun intended)

if you pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang, simply pull the trigger again.

The one and only advantage of a revolver that I know of is that it doesn't eject shells between shots. It is possible to hold on to a snubbie in a pocket and shoot through the pocket if you have to. It is a technique I've thought about often when in Detroit. On foot in a dangerous neighborhood, I think a 38 or 357 revolver would make a great 2nd or 3rd gun for pocket carry.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Michigander wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:
i'm a big fan of a .38 special 5 shot for a concealable bug. Dead reliable! (pun intended)

The one and only advantage of a revolver that I know of is that it doesn't eject shells between shots. It is possible to hold on to a snubbie in a pocket and shoot through the pocket if you have to. It is a technique I've thought about often when in Detroit. On foot in a dangerous neighborhood, I think a 38 or 357 revolver would make a great 2nd or 3rd gun for pocket carry.
That's exactly one of the features that sold me on the Taurus 850 CIA. Concealed hammer, nothing to snag if you have to shoot from inside or under clothing, or a bag.

Michigander

mel5051

imported post

I used to have the tailor modify my winter jackets so that I could put my hand into the pocket and from there straight in and access my firearm under the jacket. Worked out quite well and didn't cost all that much either...

Mel

mikestilly

imported post

I'm a fan of the Kahr PM series .. especially the PM45 .. Very accurate, very small, 3.14" Barrel, very little recoil for such a small frame 45, not cheap but decent priced used. In my opinion the best cc pistol out there.

malignity

imported post

+1 for the Kahr series; I've shot a PM9, and they're fun little guns.

Expensive however.

I'd also recommend a Ruger LCR. (Not to be confused with the LCP)

Light weight, 5 shot .38 revolver that handles +P. Beautiful BEAUTIFUL trigger pull.

sevenplusone

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Michigander wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:

That's exactly one of the features that sold me on the Taurus 850 CIA. Concealed hammer, nothing to snag if you have to shoot from inside or under clothing, or a bag.

My friends and I actually did some testing with this...he had a suit coat with a tear, we decided to have some fun shooting from inside the pockets. Good times.

Hard to beat a snubby revolver for pocket/deep concealed carry.

jmlefler

imported post

"That's exactly one of the features that sold me on the Taurus 850 CIA. Concealed hammer, nothing to snag if you have to shoot from inside or under clothing, or a bag."

Mine disappears in the front pocket of my jeans - I use a suede ribbed pocket holster in my right pocket with a speed loader in my left. It's either that or the 92FS. Which is big, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Carry on

G

imported post

mel5051 wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Just like the old time police coats.
Exactly. I used one as the example to the tailor.

Mel
I meant to attach this pic of my folks in my earlier post so others could see the overcoat. The bulge on the left is the billy club. On the right is a S&W DA .45ACP that I still have. Both are accessible via "thru pockets". My mom bought the S&W for my dad as his wedding present. Still shoots great.

AndyHesselDunbarcira1925.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
I am just looking to pick your brain about CC or BUGs. I.... Something that I could carry on me at all times but wouldn't be much of a nuisance.

I'll add a vote for a 5 shot revolver. A Smith J-frame or clone.

Make it on which is all steel or Air-Weight (alloy) frame, as you prefer,and add a Crimson Trace laser and you've got a fine CC or a BUG.

Plenty of used ones in EC out there in the secondary market.

G

imported post

HankT wrote:
TylerJ87 wrote:
I am just looking to pick your brain about CC or BUGs. I.... Something that I could carry on me at all times but wouldn't be much of a nuisance.

I'll add a vote for a 5 shot revolver. A Smith J-frame or clone.

Make it on which is all steel or Air-Weight (alloy) frame, as you prefer,and add a Crimson Trace laser and you've got a fine CC or a BUG.

Plenty of used ones in EC out there in the secondary market.
العربية: من فضلك، لا تشجع المتصيدين!