• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SF Chronicle covers open carry

slowfiveoh

imported post

The replies are absolutely, hilariously, unfounded.

Immediately they attach the stereotype of someones firearm having anything to do with the size of ones genitalia, all while simultaneously claiming that you are "immature" or "unintelligent", which is laughable after reading their diatribe.

What is comical to me, being a Californian by birth, and having lived there for 25 of my years, is that this is so typically Californian. I am of course referring to the mentality, and reasoning that many of the individual remarks display.

"Open Carry is like waving your penis around!"

A.) No. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation, genital size (or accused lack thereof), or any other libelous, slanderous commentary. It is about freedom, the core concepts this nation was founded on, and is the absolute sustaining backbone for the entire Constitution! Without the 2nd Amendment, you have impotent words. No pun intended.

"Open Carry makes you unsafe and increases the chance of a criminal encounter!"

A.) Incorrect. Well documented, heavily researched statistics show that areas of the country that allow open carry have significantly less crime than likewise populated areas that have firearms bans!

Example:

D.C. - Handgun Ban District Wide
D.C. - Worst crime rate in the country (Waning now that citizens are able to be armed, since ratification of the 2nd Amendment in Heller)

Chicago - Handgun Ban
Chicago - Extremely High Crime Rate

"Open carry is sooo immature!"

A.) I am sorry you feel the exercise of a right, acknowledged in several other states and done regularly in other states, is so absurd and obscure. In fact, I am not sorry whatsoever, and would hope that your cultural bubble pops so that you may be allowed to view the world around you without your imaginary dome.

"Carrying an unloaded gun is just STUPID!"

A.) Oh boy we couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, the state of California only allows for this method of carry. So essentially, while certainly hoping for more (the legitimate right to practice the freedoms protected by the 2nd Amendment!), we are limited to this sideshow.

The lack of knowledge of the outside world (You know,...the "United States of America" thing that California is supposed to belong to?) that the vast majority of these people display, is so common in that state.

The iteration by some of these people, stating that law abiding citizens being armed for the purpose of self-defense, is somehow a detriment to society, is hilarious. In fact, the basis for their arguments are so unfounded, that the only retort they have is an assault on ones genital size. Which is interesting, since there are a lot of women who see the value in Open Carry as well. Are you discriminating against only the males who elect to practice their freedoms?

Frankly, as a combat veteran who signed up in California, and deployed to OIF I, returning to California at the end of my enlistment was not as nostalgic or liberating as it could have been. That state is corrupt, and what truly makes America great is all but non-existent there. Hence why I moved, and will be starting my family, and purchasing a house up here.

Enjoy your existence in ignorance.

I await further genital reference, in lieu of reasonable argumentation.

Edit: Many of them will be looking here, hence the reason for this post.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Good to see that the readers of sfgate haven't grown as human beings since the last article posted there. People choosing to arm themselves for the protection of themselves and others are still "right wing lunatics" or fanatics or crazy somehow. How nicely we all fit into a nice little labeled box.

I find this commonly held belief that, "All X are Y" to be very prevalent in society and quite detrimental to having society grow as a whole. I'm sure we've all learned about prejudice at some point in our lives. We were probably taught not to hate a specific class of people because we don't know everybody in that class, so how can we make a judgment call on everybody? I seem to recall that "liberals" were all about "equal rights" and such. When Kennedy was in office he made a huge push for equality of all men and women.

Except now who hasn't learned their history lesson? San Franciscans. Now the ultra-liberal people that I share a city with are the bigots who are making judgment calls on an entire class of people. We're all lunatics. We're all conservatives.

Kettle, meet pot.

Cameron

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
How nicely we all fit into a nice little labeled box.

Wouldn't this fall under the label of discrimination? I just love the double standard. It's ok to discriminate against the gun owners, but try to discriminate against a minority... watch out!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Cameron wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
How nicely we all fit into a nice little labeled box.

Wouldn't this fall under the label of discrimination? I just love the double standard. It's ok to discriminate against the gun owners, but try to discriminate against a minority... watch out!
My point exactly

slowfiveoh

imported post

"You and your kind are not welcome here!"
(Doesn't this sound like the anti-homosexual crap that went on there?)

I find it odd that a city with an enormous homosexual demographic, that claims to embrace tolerance, would be so disrespectful and full of bigoted hate.

Blatant hypocrisy in action.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Genitalia comments are very common on the part of these types of trolls. Guess the anti gun crowd is afraid of firearms due to sexual issues on their part and tend to project.

I was going to make comment about the prejudice against firearms owners being de facto bigotry in the same way as towards minorities, but am not sure about the PC level here. Just suffice to say bigotry is bigotry.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

slowfiveoh,

That embrace is just for people of like mind. Overall they are philosophical and social xenophobes.

Sort of like the "Free Speech Movement" of the sixties--free speech as long as you are reading their script.

Cameron

imported post

Guy B. Meredith wrote:
Genitalia comments are very common on the part of these types of trolls.  Guess the anti gun crowd is afraid of firearms due to sexual issues on their part and tend to project.

I was going to make comment about the prejudice against firearms owners being de facto bigotry in the same way as towards minorities, but am not sure about the PC level here.  Just suffice to say bigotry is bigotry.

Political correctness... to me, it's damn near the same thing as lying. It's basically the same thing as looking at a pile of crap and saying it smells like a rose. Goes above and beyond just a difference of opinion, it's just plain inaccurate. I don't like lying, therefor I do not like political correctness.

(I realize that this is probably not the best argument I have made against political correctness, but excuse me it's nearly 3 am and I am getting tired.)

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Part of my signature on another forum is:

PC = Groupthink filter on reality.

But when I'm in someone else's house I respect their rules.

Cameron

imported post

Guy B. Meredith wrote:

Lol well, I don't include filtering profanity as part of any PC nature. That would potentially be the only rule as far as "someone else's house" would be concerned to me. One of the reasons this country is where it is now is the lack of the ability to call things as they really are.

yelohamr

imported post

Cameron wrote:
Guy B. Meredith wrote:

Lol well, I don't include filtering profanity as part of any PC nature. That would potentially be the only rule as far as "someone else's house" would be concerned to me. One of the reasons this country is where it is now is the lack of the ability to call things as they really are.
I guess I'll have to call a spade a shovel.