• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

conservative85

imported post

I have a topic that I have been wanting to discuss, & today I actually had a situation where etiquette was in question.

I stopped at a Speedway Gas Station & noticed an Armored truck parked in front of the main doors. I was going to just walk quickly from my truck to the store with out a coat, even though it was cold, but sat & pondered a moment... One man (Driver) was sitting at the wheel, & the other man was in the store.
What to do, should I OC, I mean the driver would definitely see the Pistol. Should I CC. I mean I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I thought well Bad guys are not going to display their gun, & surely the Guards have to be trained to deal with different scenarios involving the general public, as well as fire arms. So I CC'd into the store. I was at the ATM when A guy came from the restroom & walked by, all I noticed was his Plastic Pea Shooter, I never really saw any markings of the Armored car co. on his uniform, but I was pretty sure he worked with the co. I thought to myself damn I should have OC'd.
I'd like to know what you would have did. AND have you experienced a similar situation.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I've had this happen a few times,mostly we I stop at a Speedway. I OC as usual and never had any problems. IMO if we wish for OC to be recognized as normal acceptable behavior then we must go about our day as normal.

autosurgeon

imported post

I OC around all types of folks that carry guns in the execution of their job... I think that your body language can be used to set them at ease... as well as a friendly nod or hello.

Also if it is a place you go alot the folks that work there are not going to be perturbed so that will also help set the armored guys at ease.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Yes, just OC as normal. If youre not doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to fear. If you ignore your gun, people will too, or at least they tend to relax a bit. Be polite, freindly and confident. You have the right to OC and to be there, act like it. Anyone, esp. those trained in security, and law enforcement, should be able to distinguish your actions from those of a criminal.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Here's a link from PAFOA on this very subject.

Though I've never encountered this, I would just go about my business and give them some space. I doubt the guards would be to worried when they realize you're carrying in plain view. Besides, once the remaining guard(s) in the truck take notice, they got the truck in gear and a bead on ya anyway. :)

conservative85

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Yes, just OC as normal. If youre not doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to fear. If you ignore your gun, people will too, or at least they tend to relax a bit. Be polite, freindly and confident. You have the right to OC and to be there, act like it. Anyone, esp. those trained in security, and law enforcement, should be able to distinguish your actions from those of a criminal.
I know how to behave around the public with an Open Carry, I wanted more of what would you do, or did? AND have you had a situation similar.

Michigander

imported post

I'd have CC'd if I was legally able and if it was convenient. If I couldn't conceal, I'd have given them as much room as possible.

It is very much like if I'm out and about OCing and see 4 cops talking to several people in the aftermath of a fight or an arrest or something. I'm going to give them space, and walk around them. They have enough to worry about, and I don't want to be one more thing for them to be concerned with. I consider it a matter of being polite.

No legal obligation to be polite, but I don't want to give anyone unneeded stress, particularly when they have a dangerous job as is.

Even in urban Arizona, where 80% of the people are well aware of OC and politicians promote it in radio interviews, I gave armored truck guards and some times busy police wide space. I don't want there to be any question that I'm a fellow good guy not looking to give anyone any grief. I consider myself a friendly person who is out to protect the public good, and I'd like to think the rest of us here are too. We can only get that kind of reputation by earning it through courtesy.

conservative85

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I'd have CC'd if I was legally able and if it was convenient. If I couldn't conceal, I'd have given them as much room as possible.

It is very much like if I'm out and about OCing and see 4 cops talking to several people in the aftermath of a fight or an arrest or something. I'm going to give them space, and walk around them. They have enough to worry about, and I don't want to be one more thing for them to be concerned with. I consider it a matter of being polite.

No legal obligation to be polite, but I don't want to give anyone unneeded stress, particularly when they have a dangerous job as is.

Even in urban Arizona, where 80% of the people are well aware of OC and politicians promote it in radio interviews, I gave armored truck guards and some times busy police wide space. I don't want there to be any question that I'm a fellow good guy not looking to give anyone any grief. I consider myself a friendly person who is out to protect the public good, and I'd like to think the rest of us here are too. We can only get that kind of reputation by earning it through courtesy.
Ah that is what I was looking for...Professional courtesy!

Michigander

imported post

Sometimes professional courtesy, but sometimes maybe just common courtesy?

A semi related etiquette situation happened the other day when I went in to buy a new pair of running shoes. I knew that when I got inside I'd be running in place and jumping up and down to test out numerous shoes, and I knew that having my gun on would make the clerks nervous and be a potential hazard. Even if I had a really good concealment rig with me, the odds weren't good that I could be armed while trying on the shoes, and completely avoid allowing the muzzle to cover anyone. OCing it was likely to happen as well. Having been shot by my own gun for making that mistake and no other according to the 4 rules, I am extremely cautious about where my muzzle points, as every gun owner should be. So I locked my gun in my car before going in.

There are situations like that where the potential good of carry of any kind is outweighed by the legitimate concerns and safety of others people. Obviously this is the exception rather than the rule, but it is a factor at times.

conservative85

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Sometimes professional courtesy, but sometimes maybe just common courtesy?

A semi related etiquette situation happened the other day when I went in to buy a new pair of running shoes. I knew that when I got inside I'd be running in place and jumping up and down to test out numerous shoes, and I knew that having my gun on would make the clerks nervous and be a potential hazard. Even if I had a really good concealment rig with me, the odds weren't good that I could be armed while trying on the shoes, and completely avoid allowing the muzzle to cover anyone. OCing it was likely to happen as well. Having been shot by my own gun for making that mistake and no other according to the 4 rules, I am extremely cautious about where my muzzle points, as every gun owner should be. So I locked my gun in my car before going in.

There are situations like that where the potential good of carry of any kind is outweighed by the legitimate concerns and safety of others people. Obviously this is the exception rather than the rule, but it is a factor at times.
That is kinda where I was going with this whole Etiquette thing. Just because you can or May carry OC does not mean you have too OC. I feel very strongly about the 2nd, and it's power, but along with power comes responsibility.

Michigander

imported post

Exactly. Sonora Rebel said it very well when he said something close to "It's called Freedom. Enjoy it responsibly".

Speaking of exercise, a similar to the running shoe store but more extreme example of places etiquette suggests not to carry is going to a gym. Even if you have a gym that wouldn't mind carry, using weight lifting machines and things would be dangerous and difficult while carrying openly or concealed. If you were concealed carrying, that would probably end when you went to the locker room. Then you'd go to the shower and maybe sauna or hot tub, and you'd either be soaking your gun like an idiot, or risking having someone else steal it, because they would have seen it.

If a gun presents more of a safety hazard than a use as a defensive tool, its best to leave it locked up in your home or car.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Exactly. Sonora Rebel said it very well when he said something close to "It's called Freedom. Enjoy it responsibly".

Speaking of exercise, a similar to the running shoe store but more extreme example of places etiquette suggests not to carry is going to a gym. Even if you have a gym that wouldn't mind carry, using weight lifting machines and things would be dangerous and difficult while carrying openly or concealed. If you were concealed carrying, that would probably end when you went to the locker room. Then you'd go to the shower and maybe sauna or hot tub, and you'd either be soaking your gun like an idiot, or risking having someone else steal it, because they would have seen it.

If a gun presents more of a safety hazard than a use as a defensive tool, its best to leave it locked up in your home or car.
I recall seeing a threadover at glocktalk last year wherea memberwas at a gym in Flint and he placed his pistol in his locker while working out. He had a padlock on it, but apparently, it was issued by the gym and there were employees who had master keys--go figure. Luckily, the owners new he carried and he had insurance on the pistol. But yeah, I agree, taking the gun in a gym is not a good idea.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Or, you can load up with a rifle and ten loaded magazines and go jog around the woods, this way you can be armed, OCing, exercising, and practicing your militia duties all at the same time.

dereksj

imported post

a few months back i went to redwing boots in flint to get some new irish setters and i had been ocing all day but i thought before i went in that they were gonna be fitting me for my new boots and my gun (although in a holster) would still be pointing near the feller sizing me up so i went ahead and left the gun in the truck i know i sure dont like a gun pointed at me even if its in a holster and nobody's actually handling it at the time i just think that was being polite and thinking ahead and we should all make sure we do these things when these situations come around we sure dont want to give ourselves a bad name