• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill allows guns

Golden Eagle

imported post

I've been waiting for Michigan to do this but Indianashould do itfirst.
Good luck!:celebrate

"The Indiana House has approved legislation that would prohibit employers from banning guns in people's locked cars on company property.

State Rep. Robert Bischoff, D-Greendale, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee and author of the bill, says the Indiana House approved it Tuesday after a version cleared the state Senate on Monday. He says differences between the two measures have to be worked out.

Business lobbyists and domestic violence prevention advocates raised concerns about possible workplace violence.

Its supporters, including the National Rifle Association, argue the bill would only allow people with the legal right to carry a weapon to bring it to work -- and then only as far as the parking lot, where it must remain locked in their car."

From: http://www.wndu.com/indiana/headlines/82760482.html
and: http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=126801

--------------------------------------------

Update:The law takes effect July 1.
From:http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9EH9K6O0.htm

lifer89

imported post

I am all for this law passing. I only wonder how it will be enforced. Most company's think that they can tell you what you can and can not do most of the time anyway while at work. I see signs everywhere I go "no guns allowed on property". I will update all of you if the signs start coming down. I just wish I could carry in my service truck....

txgho1911

imported post

Original bill was passed as amended with an exception to those corp that are registered somehow with a relationship with DHS.
Senate stripped that amendment.
Bill releases company from liability if an employee causes a workplace shooting.

aadvark

imported post

Congradulations Indiana!

This Bill will help to solve Workplace Violence, not esscalate it.

No one wants to be Unarmed at Work when a Crazed Lunatic shows up to hurt others. You go to Work to provide for your Family, and Workers need to know that they do not have to rely on Government to keep them safe while there.

Armed Indianans will better protect the Workplaceand make it Safer for all.

Glock19Dude

imported post

Although I like the new bill I wondered about it. I am waiting for my CCW permit to arrive in the mail any day now, but I wondered about taking it to work. I know I cannot have my pistolin the workplace and company rules state that "no guns are allowed on the property". My concern was, if I can legally carry my handgun why can't I legally keep it locked in my car while at work? I want my handgun while I ride to and from work and after work whenI go to the gym. So this is my dilema.

:banghead:

Golden Eagle

imported post

Glock19Dude wrote:
Although I like the new bill I wondered about it. I am waiting for my CCW permit to arrive in the mail any day now, but I wondered about taking it to work. I know I cannot have my pistolin the workplace and company rules state that "no guns are allowed on the property". My concern was, if I can legally carry my handgun why can't I legally keep it locked in my car while at work? I want my handgun while I ride to and from work and after work whenI go to the gym. So this is my dilema.

:banghead:

But no more dilema after July 1.

Congrats onyour new LTCH! :celebrate

Section32

imported post

Glock19Dude wrote:
This Bill will help to solve Workplace Violence, not esscalate it. 

No one wants to be Unarmed at Work when a Crazed Lunatic shows up to hurt others.  You go to Work to provide for your Family, and Workers need to know that they do not have to rely on Government to keep them safe while there. Armed Indianans will better protect the Workplace and make it Safer for all.
This bill does nothing to increase workplace safety. It simply allows you to keep a gun locked away in your car if you are parked on company property. I still cannot wear my gun on company property meaning I'm no more safe than I was before. Hopefully, this legislation is a STEP toward complete freedom of self-defense with future bills.

mdevar

imported post

This is a hard one for me. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand, I hate the fact that my company tells me what I can or cannot have inside of my personal property (car). If I want to (legally) carry my gun to work, and leave it in my car - that's MY decision, and my boss shouldn't have any say-so in it.

Now.... On the other hand, this is a HUGE slap in the face for Property Owners' Rights. If I work hard, put my money and livelyhood on the line to buy a building and start a company - I don't want ANYONE telling ME what I HAVE to allow on MY PROPERTY. It's my building, the employees are working FOR ME, and it should be MY DECISION to allow or restrict firearms on MY PROPERTY.

What if I open a daycare? I don't want guns anywhere near the children I'm legally responsible for, because as we all know - tragic accidents happen. Life isn't perfect. An employee COULD leave his car unlocked... A childCOULD wander away from watching eyes... you get the point. Who's fault will that be?Indiana's - they didn't let me restrict firearms from being on the premises. The gun owner - she should've locked the gun away. The employee watching the child - he should have been more alert. No matter where the blame got laid, I could gaurantee it wouldn't make much difference.... the child would still be dead... My business would still be shut down ... anti-gun nuts would still have yet another story to feed their propaganda machine.

I don't know.

I'm happy I can start carrying my gun to work on July 1st though.

I TRULY understand the frustration my employer will feel when they have to ammend their "no weapons on the premises" policy.

Your thoughts?

protias

imported post

mdevar wrote:
What if I open a daycare? I don't want guns anywhere near the children I'm legally responsible for, because as we all know - tragic accidents happen. Life isn't perfect. An employee COULD leave his car unlocked... A childCOULD wander away from watching eyes... you get the point. Who's fault will that be?Indiana's - they didn't let me restrict firearms from being on the premises. The gun owner - she should've locked the gun away. The employee watching the child - he should have been more alert. No matter where the blame got laid, I could gaurantee it wouldn't make much difference.... the child would still be dead... My business would still be shut down ... anti-gun nuts would still have yet another story to feed their propaganda machine.
"Won't someone please think of the children?!?!" How many times have we heard this from those who wish to disarm you? A holstered firearm is not going to magically jump out and start shooting everyone and everything. I actually had my 6 year old nephew try to take my gun out of my holster because he wanted to play with it, but I have a level 1 Serpa so he couldn't get it out. Not only did I place my hand on my firearm because I could feel him tugging on it from behind me, I scolded him for doing so. He isn't brought up around guns, and I'm trying to teach him what responsible gun owners do because my sister and brother-in-law aren't doing it.