• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Certain Felons can own/possess/purchase firearms

firefighter9158

imported post

I was reading a article in your local news paper, about open carry. The article stated that anyone with a felony could Not open carry. Do they not know that under some instances convicted felons can own/possess/purchase firearms. Here in La. certain felons, after completing all of there probation etc., and after 10 years has pasted with no more felony arrest, That ALL of there firearms rights are restored. Any opinions ?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

You're talking about expungement (setting aside a conviction) in Michigan.

So, yes, you're correct that a person convicted of a felony may again have his or her rights restored. However, not all felonies can be expunged. If I remember correctly, those convicted of a violent felony may not do so.

Edit to add: For example,

http://www.expungementkit.com/eligibility.html

lil_freak_66

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

So, yes, you're correct that a person convicted of a felony may again have his or her rights restored. However, not all felonies can be expunged. If I remember correctly, those convicted of a violent felony may not do so.

i do believe certain drug charges also cannot be explunged,and certain other charges.

alsoim pretty suredrunk driving feloniesgenerally do not take away firearms rights,i know two people that have DUI felonies(neither were involved in a police chase,they were just repeat DUI offenders),and both have purchased shotguns from dealers since.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

Well sort of, you can get expungments for some felonies, but some felonies you can get rights back after 5 years and some you can't. Michigan will restore gun rights after this time for some, but the FEDS don't recognize this and a person could be charged federally. So there are exceptions.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Well sort of, you can get expungments for some felonies, but some felonies you can get rights back after 5 years and some you can't. Michigan will restore gun rights after this time for some, but the FEDS don't recognize this and a person could be charged federally. So there are exceptions.
I agree, but unless the person has the felony set aside, he or she will be denied to purchase a handgun (License To Purchase & 4473 Forms). For this reason, I included "may" and "violent felony."