• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting at OU regarding bill 5474

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

There will be a public meeting at Oakland University February 11th at 3pm.

The police chief of OU is extremely anti gun and has been very active in trying to get this shot down. Hopefully we can get a few people to come to the meeting and show their support for this bill.

Here are some excerpts from the latest Oakland Post article

The campus police chief also addressed the Senate and asked its members to help stop ongoing legislation that would let civilians carry concealed weapons on campus.
The Senate is made up of faculty members, administrative personnel and student representatives, and meets monthly to discuss academic affairs and make recommendations to the president.
Its next meeting is on Feb. 11 at 3:10 p.m. in the Oakland Center Gold Rooms, and is open to the public.

Lucido on gun bill
Sam Lucido, chief of OU police department, asked for help from the Senate members to stop ongoing legislation in the Michigan state Senate and House that is seeking to let people carry guns onto college campuses.
He said he and other chiefs of campus police in Michigan do not agree with the contents of the bills, and OU has also taken a stance against it.
He said youth and young adults make up the majority of the campus population, and because they mature at different rates, he’s concerned about their judgement with firearms.
He said college students are also known for consuming inappropriate amounts of alcohol, and “I can’t imagine adding firearms to the mix,” he said.
Lucido said people carrying guns on campus, which is illegal now, would add to the danger also because if more people who see someone with a gun call OUPD, the police would have a hard time deciding whether to approach the person as a potential threat, or to let that person be because that person probably has a permit.
Larceny is the number one crime on campus, and “I don’t want to see firearms on that list,” he said.
He asked Senate members to write letters of support against the House Bill 5474 and Senate Bill 747, as individuals or as groups.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

"He said youth and young adults make up the majority of the campus population, and because they mature at different rates, he’s concerned about their judgement with firearms."

First of all, how many students at OU are 21 years of age or older which is required to obtain a CPL in MIchigan? And, out of those who are of age to obtain the license, how many would even have the desire to have a CPL?

And judgement with firearms, everybody remembers Lee Paige... :shock:

Michigander

imported post

Springer, I would plain like to know how many students there have CPL's. I'm sure its many dozens.

At colleges I know more people at, I've noticed lots have CPL's, and many CC around campus, save dormitories and classrooms. If this chief thinks Oakland University is any different, he is living in la la land.

G

imported post

He's got a point about people maturing at different rates.

Maybe the minimum age should for firearm ownership should be raised to say 54 years, 9 months, and 4 days. I'd vote for that.

Hope I die before I get old.

Better make that 54 years, 9 months, and 5 days. I'm going to bed.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

As usual in anti-firearms movements, I see no legitimate, practical concerns against carry. It's just a bunch of people speaking and acting on emotion.

G

imported post

If Lucido can't control larceny, how's he going to control a murderer?

"OMG there will be blood on our campuses."

Oh wait, there already is.

At least it's safe in church.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Springer, I would plain like to know how many students there have CPL's. I'm sure its many dozens.

At colleges I know more people at, I've noticed lots have CPL's, and many CC around campus, save dormitories and classrooms. If this chief thinks Oakland University is any different, he is living in la la land.

I don't doubt that a bit. I guess what I was looking was the ratio part of it.

Total enrollment for 2004 to 2007 was over 15,200. What would be the percentage of students with CPL's compared to the total enrollment? Very small I'm guessing.

ETA: I have this OU Public Meeting in the Events Thread.

jmlefler

imported post

ARRRRGHH! "The campus police chief also addressed the Senate and asked its members to help stop ongoing legislation that would let civilians carry concealed weapons on campus."

Remind that chief that THE POLICE ARE CIVILIANS!!!!!

Carry on

wolverine1856

imported post

Well I was a student there with a CPL for many years (multiple degrees).

What would be the show of support at this meeting? Are they allowing anybodyto speak? I would like to go but I will be out of town that day. I wish I had known about this sooner.

This obviously hits very close to home for me and I will be sure to express my feelings on this issue when they call me asking for the next donation.

The attitude ofLucido is very disappointing but just what I would have expected. Every year the University becomes more and more “libtarded”.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Id love to go.

BTW, I cant recall at this time exactly the laws regarding carry on colleges. I think its allowed OC with CPL but not in dorms and classrooms. Am I correct? And Is this an OC event, or do you prefer empty holsters?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Id love to go.

BTW, I cant recall at this time exactly the laws regarding carry on colleges. I think its allowed OC with CPL but not in dorms and classrooms. Am I correct? And Is this an OC event, or do you prefer empty holsters?
Unfortunately, the Michigan Preemption Law (123.1102) does not include colleges/universities. They can ask you to leave whether or not the buildings are posted. Also, no CC in dorms and classrooms per 28.425o.

You can OC if you want or even go holster only, but more than likely, you will be asked to leave.

T Vance

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
You can OC if you want or even go holster only, but more than likely, you will be asked to leave.
You think they would ask you to leave for OCing an empty holster? Or are you referring to OCing a firearm?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
You think they would ask you to leave for OCing an empty holster? Or are you referring to OCing a firearm?
I don't think much would be said about a holster when there's a possibility that students at OU, with CPL's, are already doing it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
T Vance wrote:
You need a CPL to OC on a college campus. Regardless you should just OC an empty holster. Just my opinion.
Replace with K-12 :)
I thought if you are not a student of a college you could OC on a college campus as long as you had your CPL.
There's no statute I'm aware of that requires a CPL to OC on a campus. There are universities such as UofM, WSU and MSU where their ordinances pertaining to firearms on campus property are constitutionally protected, therefore, they can enforce said ordinances. Last year, IIRC, MSU repealed their prohibition of firearms on campus (can have in vehicle), but still prohibit the carry in buildings even if you have a CPL.