• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting at OU regarding bill 5474

Michigander

imported post

I am not going to be able to make it, unfortunately.

But a couple suggestions. First, I would NOT carry an empty holster. Full blown OC by CPL holders would be legal. With that in mind, coming in with empty holsters will lessen the impact of that point, and look silly. But of course if full blown OC was done, it could cause a number of problems. So I suggest carrying nothing.

Second, I suggest that Generaldet prepares a statement on some note cards, including come backs to stupid, ill informed remarks we know anti's will bring out. I also suggest that stainless, and whoever else goes, doesn't say anything, leaving the public speaking to the expert with prepared statements. As I understand it, this will be an on the record event with media, right? We want open carriers, and indeed all other gun owners, to be represented as clearly, and intelligently as possible. Yapping off the cuff would be a major mistake.

T Vance

imported post

Carrying an empty holster may lessen the impact than OCing with a firearm, but wouldn't not carrying anything at all be worth even less than an empty holster?

wolverine1856

imported post

In addition to Michiganders second commentI would recommend everybody that represents the pro carrystance be dressed professionally (not that you weren’t planning on this anyway).

The antis at the University will be looking for any reasonto paint the pro carry group with the “bubba brush”. You guys will be walking into the lion’s den of liberal indoctrinated Americans.

Stainless what does your mother do there? If you don't want to say on here send me a PM.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I wanted to make a statement of my opposition to the ban, without being asked to leave because of a firearm. Also, I am suspended . Empty holsters have been a common and generally acceptable way for people to do this on colleges.

She works in the communications and marketing department. Ill call her, that could come in handy.

T Vance

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I wanted to make a statement of my opposition to the ban, without being asked to leave because of a firearm. Also, I am suspended . Empty holsters have been a common and generally acceptable way for people to do this on colleges.
Yeah, I OC my empty holster to school everyday I go. It has helped educate a few people, cause some will ask "what is that".

Michigander

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Carrying an empty holster may lessen the impact than OCing with a firearm, but wouldn't not carrying anything at all be worth even less than an empty holster?
Licensed OC would be legal, whether or not it was in a class room or theater area seating more than 2500. Furthermore, the police wouldn't have the right to stop a CPL holder from OCing, because of preemption. The college could arguably expel a student for OCing, but I have my doubts that preemption wouldn't be found to apply to college rules if it went to court. I hope this will be brought up by Generaldet.

I believe that because of this, it would look stupid to be half exercising your rights. After some anti's run their mouths like fools, it would be a good opportunity to explain that you could OC there, but aren't at this time because of just how out of touch with the reality of laws so many people there are.

However, I'm not even going to make it out, and if you guys think it would be a good visual aid, it's obviously your call. Just not something I personally would do.

Michigander

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I wanted to make a statement of my opposition to the ban, without being asked to leave because of a firearm.
Whatever you do, PLEASE do not make a verbal statement. No offense intended towards you my friend, but you are not qualified to represent gun owners on this issue. (And again, that goes for everyone. My advice is to let Generaldet make any and all statements to represent this group to insure we are represented accurately).

stainless1911 wrote:
BTW, I cant recall at this time exactly the laws regarding carry on colleges. I think its allowed OC with CPL but not in dorms and classrooms. Am I correct??

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

http://www.oakland.edu/?id=3202&sid=28

Directions and Parking
The Oakland Center is located in the heart of Oakland University’s main campus.
Oakland University is located in southeastern Michigan between Flint and Detroit. The 1,441-acre campus actually extends into two cities — Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, between Adams Road and Squirrel Road, just south of Walton Boulevard. Take I-75 to exit 79 and go east on University Drive to the main entrance of campus. Or, take M-59 to the Squirrel Road exit and go north to the main entrance of campus at the corner of University Drive.

From OU’s Main Entrance
To get to the Oakland Center from the main entrance of campus, drive around the circle drive past the first entrance to Meadow Brook Road until you get to the second entrance to Meadow Brook Road and turn right. The Oakland Center is located on the right side of the road between North and South Foundation Halls. The best place to park is in Parking Lot 1 or 2.

For more information, see the campus map.
Parking
Oakland University does not require parking passes or stickers anywhere on campus, and free parking is available in Parking Lot 1 and 2 as well as in other lots on campus. For more information on parking at OU, see theParking page. .

super_squint

Treasurer, MOC, Inc. Oakland, Michigan, U
imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Lucido on gun bill
Sam Lucido, chief of OU police department, asked for help from the Senate members to stop ongoing legislation in the Michigan state Senate and House that is seeking to let people carry guns onto college campuses.
He said he and other chiefs of campus police in Michigan do not agree with the contents of the bills, and OU has also taken a stance against it.
He said youth and young adults make up the majority of the campus population, and because they mature at different rates, he’s concerned about their judgement with firearms.
He said college students are also known for consuming inappropriate amounts of alcohol, and “I can’t imagine adding firearms to the mix,” he said.
Lucido said people carrying guns on campus, which is illegal now, would add to the danger also because if more people who see someone with a gun call OUPD, the police would have a hard time deciding whether to approach the person as a potential threat, or to let that person be because that person probably has a permit.
Larceny is the number one crime on campus, and “I don’t want to see firearms on that list,” he said.
He asked Senate members to write letters of support against the House Bill 5474 and Senate Bill 747, as individuals or as groups."
Is this guy serious? As a student who attends OU at night when it is DARK and having to park quite a ways from any "emergency phone" or building, I would say that there is more danger for me walking back to my car alone in the dark! I would feel much safer if I could lawfully CC my sidearm to class.

The vast majority of those with a CPL are not going to be ignorantly abusing that privilege with having alcohol in the "mix" as this individual states. If anything, I'd say 99.9% of those who have CPLs are more law-abiding than anyone I know because they take the time to look into laws and utilize common sense.

As far as trying to figure out how to approach someone who would be carrying...obviously, if they are walking to class with their arms full of textbooks without acting suspicious, there's a pretty good chance they're not a threat.

Haman J.T.

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
He's got a point about people maturing at different rates.

Maybe the minimum age should for firearm ownership should be raised to say 54 years, 9 months, and 4 days. I'd vote for that.

Hope I die before I get old.

Better make that 54 years, 9 months, and 5 days. I'm going to bed.
You mean I would have to wait another 2 years?You'll have to pry them out of my cold dead fingers!!!!!!!!

lapeer20m

imported post

i'll try and get there at least 15 minutes early. I'll wait outside the gold room in the hallway to see if i can meet up with a few of you before we enter. That way we can sit together.

Should be pretty easy to notice the guys wearing empty holsters.

DanM

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
i'll try and get there at least 15 minutes early. I'll wait outside the gold room in the hallway to see if i can meet up with a few of you before we enter. That way we can sit together.

I'm tentative to attend this, too. I suggest entering as youget there and NOT sitting together. Withgun rights supporters "peppered" among the sheep in the audience,I think it will better serve the perception thatresponsible gun owners and gun rights supporters are "peppered" amongthe general population. Also, to reinforce the fact that we aresimply friends and neighbors standing up for our individual right to self-defense, I suggest not wearing anything connected to firearms related organizations.

These are just the two suggestions I'll be following, butit certainly won't harm anything if you sit together wearing your NRA, MOC, or other group's logos either. Really, I'll just be happy to see a good turnoutof gun-rights supporters there.