• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will I need to start from scratch???

Wrenchbender_e

imported post

So, in my complacency, I didn't realize my CHP expires in three days. Since I neglected to file for a renewal, will I have to start the whole process/fingerprinting/etc from scratch? Anyone else pull a bonehead move like this before? :banghead::banghead::banghead: I would call the clerks office, but between thesnowstorm and the fact that Uncle Sam has me working nights this weekend, I wont be able to contact them until its too late. Any and all advice is appreciated.

BTW: I live in York county if that makes a difference...

buster81

imported post

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#PermitRenewal

From the VASP website:

Permit Renewal

Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be issued, upon application, a new permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time constraints apply in the instance of renewal.

If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.

Fingerprint impressions are not required for the renewal of an existing permit pursuant to §15.2-915.3.

If a permit holder is a member of the Virginia National Guard, Armed Forces of the United States, or the Armed Forces reserves of the United States, and his five-year permit expires during an active-duty military deployment outside of the permittee's county or city of residence, such permit shall remain valid for 90 days after the end date of the deployment. In order to establish proof of continued validity of the permit, such a permittee shall carry with him and display, upon request of a law-enforcement officer, a copy of the permittee's deployment orders or other documentation from the permittee's commanding officer that order the permittee to travel outside of his county or city of residence and that indicate the start and end date of such deployment.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Don't feel bad about letting the expiry date sneak up on you.

I checked mine sevral times over the 5 years I had it, but always when there was years left on it.

I forgot about it, then checked when it only had 2 weeks left.

Still waiting for my renewal...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Another option to avoid this is by having multiple permits that cover you regardless, like the Utah.

Hmmmm....

I wonder just where one could get the classes for such multiple permits?:p

all_ears.jpg

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wrenchbender,
I doubt you will have to go through the whole application procedure again if you get there early next week. I'm saying this because my wife and I got our permits from York Co. (since '94) and have always been treated very well by the people there. Ours had almost expired the last time we did it, but they had the new ones to us in the mail about a week after we filled out the form. They've always treated us like valued customers!

Don't lose any sleep over it, but let us know.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Wrenchbender,
I doubt you will have to go through the whole application procedure again if you get there early next week. I'm saying this because my wife and I got our permits from York Co. (since '94) and have always been treated very well by the people there. Ours had almost expired the last time we did it, but they had the new ones to us in the mail about a week after we filled out the form. They've always treated us like valued customers!

Don't lose any sleep over it, but let us know.
That's pretty fast.

I just got my new permit in the mail yesterday.

Renewal filed Dec 28, letter from Fairfax County dated Jan 28.

41 days.

Two Hands

imported post

Shouldn't be a problem. I hadn't carried for a while and mine had been expired for over a year. I filled out the renewal application, paid my fee, andthe new cardarrived in the mail in about 15 days (Warren County). The card was a re-newal not a new issue as it had my original permit number on it.