• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with Angry wife???

DaemonForce

imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
If your referring to me, my wife never was afraid our gun. She's the one who talked me in to buying it. She doesn't want me to carry it around.
Ah I see. She's afraid something bad will happen if you carry, period. I can see the rationale in that. Afraid of the weapon accidentally discharging, possible legal trouble...Blah blah blah. Bad stuff happens everywhere. The gun is only there for better leverage in a really bad situation: Which always has a chance of happening. I know it happens to me more often than the average guy. I wonder how many times some idiot is going to try and hold me up this month. Looking at the reasoning I guess she doesn't want to carry either? :?

I've been trying to follow the information here really well but I feel like I'm missing something here.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
DaemonForce wrote:
Update! Is the woman still afraid of your gun? :?

If your referring to me, my wife never was afraid our gun. She's the one who talked me in to buying it. She doesn't want me to carry it around.
Quality training helps relieve fears, it is usually the unknown that makes people afraid.

Cite "BigDave Says So!" :p

Nathan9493

imported post

Maybe something good might come from this when she takes her gun safety course at FIREARMS ACADEMY OF SEATTLE. I'm not pushing this anymore. I'm looking into carrying a asp/baton. DON'T EVEN START on me about this being a less effective method. Its better than nothing. I just don'rt know if it legal yet?:question:

DaemonForce

imported post

I don't know the laws on that but it seems like it would be fine granted the effectiveness of it is almost null.

I carry a pocket-stick/knife. Thankfully I've never had to use it. :)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
I'm looking into carrying a asp/baton. DON'T EVEN START on me about this being a less effective method. Its better than nothing.

Sounds like a good idea, if legal in WA. I don't see why anyone would criticize you for trying that.

It's much better than better than nothing.

So is martial arts training....taser....OC....and conflict resolution techiniques...and, uhm, a solid plan for retreat at all possible opportunities...

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Nathan9493 wrote:
I'm looking into carrying a asp/baton. DON'T EVEN START on me about this being a less effective method. Its better than nothing.

Sounds like a good idea, if legal in WA. I don't see why anyone would criticize you for trying that.

It's much better than better than nothing.

So is martial arts training....taser....OC....and conflict resolution techiniques...and, uhm, a solid plan for retreat at all possible opportunities...
Can you hook me up with Scotty? I don't want just any idiot operating my transporter.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Sorry to hear your having trouble with the lady, my girlfriend is the same way only not as emotional about it but she doesn't like me carrying around her and unfortunately this is the one thing neither of us are willing to compromise on so eventually it might lead to us breaking up.

Because you're already married and it's way down the road you probably have to choose carrying for protection or your family. People like your wife who use threatening devorce as a negotiating tool are also not necessarily emotionally stable or reasonable, I once was with a girl who when I didn't agree to do something for her she would eventually threaten to kill herself. I wouldn't push the issue if you want to keep your family and whatever you do don't try to sneak around her carry wise. You may also want to look into defensive alternatives as well.

Remember your wife threatened to tear apart your family because you had a chunk of metal in a holster on your side.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I think that Nathan has a pretty good idea about the emotional stability of his wife, and can do without the psychoanalysis from the amatures. His question was how would one go about getting her to be over the fears of OC.

If you cannot offer a valid suggestion without the analysis, then don't offer.

Nathan9493

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I think that Nathan has a pretty good idea about the emotional stability of his wife, and can do without the psychoanalysis from  the amatures. His question was how would one go about  getting her to be over the fears of OC.

Tigg, Sent you a pm.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I think that Nathan has a pretty good idea about the emotional stability of his wife, and can do without the psychoanalysis from the amatures. His question was how would one go about getting her to be over the fears of OC.

Trigger, it wasn't OC that his wife had a fit over, it was because he was carrying (CC) period.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

Sorry but around all the fights between married couples I've witnessed I've yet to see one so trivial be threatened with divorce. I'm sure he does understand his wife's emotional stability which makes me curious as to why he wants to push this issue. There is no way you can change someones mind overnight your best bet might be to make some commentary on current events like seeing a mugging happen in a movie and comment about how things could have been different if the victim was armed. Besides that you risk getting into another argument.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

Sorry but around all the fights between married couples I've witnessed I've yet to see one so trivial be threatened with divorce. I'm sure he does understand his wife's emotional stability which makes me curious as to why he wants to push this issue. There is no way you can change someones mind overnight your best bet might be to make some commentary on current events like seeing a mugging happen in a movie and comment about how things could have been different if the victim was armed. Besides that you risk getting into another argument.
On the surface I would agree, but.....we don't know the dynamic of this family as much as the OP does. So until proven otherwise I am going to take his word for it. He knows his wife and himself better than any of us, right?

Nathan9493

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
I think that Nathan has a pretty good idea about the emotional stability of his wife, and can do without the psychoanalysis from  the amatures. His question was how would one go about  getting her to be over the fears of OC.

On the surface I would agree, but.....we don't know the dynamic of this family as much as the OP does. So until proven otherwise I am going to take his word for it. He knows his wife and himself better than any of us, right?

I love my wife dearly, but she often backtracks and confuses me. For example: Right after we first got the gun, I started looking into frontsight in Las Vegas. They sent their DVD. I was impressed and excited. When I showed it to her she was too. So impressed that she was looking over the budget trying to figure if we could afford the lifetime membership. So what does that tell you? She often starts down a path with me and then backtracks. I don't know why I thought this would be any different? Maybe I'm the one with the instability? But regardless, I'll never tear my family apart over this.

knight_308

imported post

It's always bad when someone threatens divorce as a means to get their way, even if the other person "knows they're joking". It introduces insecurity into the relationship which can really blossom into worse issues.

It might be worth going to a marriage conference such as FamilyLife's "Weekend to Remember" for a tune up.

David.Car

imported post

knight_308 wrote:
It's always bad when someone threatens divorce as a means to get their way, even if the other person "knows they're joking". It introduces insecurity into the relationship which can really blossom into worse issues.
Excellent point. The equivelant of a kid throwing a temper tantrum to get a candy bar in a store.

Using something that is over the top serious to get your way is unnecessary drama.

I don't tell my girlfriend I am going to move out if she doesn't stop leaving her laundry on the floor.

A healthy response would have been her sitting down with you (not in front of your kid) and talking about how she feels and what the TWO OF YOU could do to correct the situation.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Guys I don't really feel comfortable discussing someones personal family life past what he asked help for. I don't think it is up to any of us to dissect him or his situation.