• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oaklander from CGN/CGF invites OCDO members over to a BBQ

cato

imported post

cato wrote:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276304

Folks, the date has been set for the First Annual UNOFFICIAL "CGN / CGF / UOC" BBQ SUMMIT!!!!!

What: UNOFFICIAL "CGN / CGF / UOC" BBQ SUMMIT

Date/Time: 3/20/2010, 11am to ????

Why: This is an informal event to allow members of the UOC community to interact with CGN and CGF members, with the goal of establishing and furthering constructive dialog. It is also an excuse to drink beer and eat BBQ.

House Rules: To ensure that this event is successful and that everyone has a good time, I have created the following simple rules:

1) Please answer the poll as to whether you will attend, and near the BBQ date, I will PM you with my actual physical address. Please do not share my address with other people.

2) This will be a ZERO-drama event. UOC is a hot topic for many people. And the purpose of this BBQ is to create positive dialog, and not create drama. That means that if anyone feels like they want to create drama, they will be politely asked to leave.

3) I live near a school zone. This means all weapons (not just pistols) must be transported locked (and unloaded). Please use discretion if you will be bringing long guns into my house (i.e., transport the long guns in a a discreet case). For OPSEC reasons, my neighbors do not know I am a gun owner, and I want to keep it that way.

4) I will supply food and drink, but please also bring something to grill and/or drink and/or snack on. This will ensure that we have plenty of food and drink.

5) I have a Dogo Argentino / Pit Bull mix. She is good with strangers and children. But she will be interacting with all the guests, and if you have an aversion to large dogs with long teeth and cropped ears, you may feel uncomfortable. . . ALSO - when entering or leaving my house, please make sure that you do not let her out. It will freak out the neighbors, many of whom are very afraid of dogs.

6) If you will be drinking, I ask that you do not handle any weapons, regardless of whether they are loaded or not.

7) Parking is weird in East Oakland. The basic rule is that it is very bad form to park directly in front of a house that you do not live in (or are visiting). Therefore, please park in front of my house, or in the driveway. If there are no spots there, try to park in front of an abandoned house, or between the property lines of two houses. Please do not park directly in front of any of my neighbor's houses (I will hear about it later if you do).​
I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces, and meeting new people. This should be a lot of fun!!!
LOL, "try to park in front of an abandoned house", could we just take one of these over and make it a rave? :lol:

dirtykoala

imported post

cato wrote:
cato wrote:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276304

snip

7) Parking is weird in East Oakland. The basic rule is that it is very bad form to park directly in front of a house that you do not live in (or are visiting). Therefore, please park in front of my house, or in the driveway. If there are no spots there, try to park in front of an abandoned house, or between the property lines of two houses. Please do not park directly in front of any of my neighbor's houses (I will hear about it later if you do).​
I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces, and meeting new people. This should be a lot of fun!!!
LOL, "try to park in front of an abandoned house", could we just take one of these over and make it a rave? :lol:

looking forward to some good times!

raver.jpg

greg36f

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Mike wrote:
You all need to organize some events in public areas at unincorporated areas where the county has not banned shooting - that way folks can legally refuse polce load checks and carry loaded if they want.
Technically we can refuse the loaded checks anyway. At that time it gives them PC to arrest, but once they clear the weapon they no longer have that PC and must release.

And it might even do better for us because at that point they have turned an allowed "inspection" into a detention and search. Of course I don't condone this action until after incorporation.
Theseus, I see where you are going with this, but I thinkthat this is a bad idea.

The law is not crystal clear on this. It may be interpreted that the refusal to allow inspection is a "complete" crime upon itself and the arrest will not be "undone" when the weapon proves to be empty.

Also, I would think that once the arrest is made, ID is mandatory...

Also, there is always the 148 PC option.

Just some thoughts.

Oaklander

imported post

I forgot to add - I am in a school zone - so no UOC in front of my house. Also, I have nosy neighbors, so UOC in backyard is not a good idea either.

That being said - concealed carry in my house and backyard is fine!

greg36f

imported post

Oaklander wrote:
I forgot to add - I am in a school zone - so no UOC in front of my house. Also, I have nosy neighbors, so UOC in backyard is not a good idea either.

Oaklander, this is a great thing that you are doing and I applaud you for it......Something like this takes a lot more time, effort and money than most people realize.

I really do think that you need to make this a NO GUN event. I know that thatseems to really be odd for a "pro gun event", but it really would be the best. You don't need to have a gun with you to talk about guns.

I, like youdo not want my neighbors to know what I have in my home,,,,,,People carrying guns at this event really puts you out there in that way. Attendees can be as careful as they want to, but some stuff will still slip through the cracks (gun cases going in and out, people handling guns in their cars before they enter your property, people peering into your back yard, neighbors coming over to see what’s going on or just to say "hi", attendees showing other attendees thier guns at the wrong time / place).....

It would just be a lot simpler for you to make it a no gun event. It would take a lot of stress and worry off your shoulders.

Just my two cents, I’m sure a lot of people will disagree, but that's democracy right!!

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

greg36f wrote:
Oaklander wrote:

Oaklander, this is a great thing that you are doing and I applaud you for it......Something like this takes a lot more time, effort and money than most people realize.

I really do think that you need to make this a NO GUN event. I know that thatseems to really be odd for a "pro gun event", but it really would be the best. You don't need to have a gun with you to talk about guns.

I, like youdo not want my neighbors to know what I have in my home,,,,,,People carrying guns at this event really puts you out there in that way. Attendees can be as careful as they want to, but some stuff will still slip through the cracks (gun cases going in and out, people handling guns in their cars before they enter your property, people peering into your back yard, neighbors coming over to see what’s going on or just to say "hi", attendees showing other attendees thier guns at the wrong time / place).....

It would just be a lot simpler for you to make it a no gun event. It would take a lot of stress and worry off your shoulders.

Just my two cents, I’m sure a lot of people will disagree, but that's democracy right!!

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire
Let's not give the government what they want, a massacre zone.

cato

imported post

I would leave it as is...UOCers will comply with the hosts requests and it's nice to be able to show and tell even if it is indoors.

Oaklander

imported post

Let me think on this.

My main concern is OPSEC - if anyone here in the 'hood knows that I have guns, then I will likely get targeted for a break-in, or worse. . .

OTOH, it's always fun to do a show-and-tell. . .

I will give it some thought!

greg36f

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
greg36f wrote:
Oaklander wrote:

Voltaire
I'm pretty sure that Oaklander has your back on this!!!!! I trust him to have the tools at hand to protect everyone there....

greg36f

imported post

cato wrote:
I would leave it as is...UOCers will comply with the hosts requests and it's nice to be able to show and tell even if it is indoors.
I agree that it's nice to show and tell, It's just that there is give and take, Good / Bad in every decision we make...

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

greg36f wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
greg36f wrote:
Oaklander wrote:

Voltaire
I'm pretty sure that Oaklander has your back on this!!!!! I trust him to have the tools at hand to protect everyone there....
Oak is but one man, not an omnipresent and immortal being.

Oaklander

imported post

OK - now I am all paranoid!

I am going to pull rank here, and make this a NO GUN event (except for those lucky souls who have CCWs).

This will ensure:

1) no future problems with neighbors

2) no police interaction

And the police interaction thing is no joke. OPD does not mess around. . .

:)

If people are concerned about their personal safety - I have plenty of guns on site. . . And food, and water, for that matter!!!

LOL

greg36f

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
greg36f wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
greg36f wrote:
Oaklander wrote:

Voltaire
Oak is but one man, not an omnipresent and immortal being.
He's not!!!! OMG, then he lied to me!!!!!!!:what:

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was originally enthusiastic about this event.

But after the recent hate-fest frenzy over on CalGuns I don't feel like coming anymore.

Everyone, including most of the CGF board of directors, has been insulting the UOC community non-stop for the last 16 hours over there. It makes this thread feel like the fig leaf in one hand while the dagger is being held behind the back in the other.

greg36f

imported post

MudCamper wrote:

But after the recent hate-fest frenzy over on CalGuns I don't feel like coming anymore.

Everyone, including most of the CGF board of directors, has been insulting the UOC community non-stop for the last 16 hours over there. It makes this thread feel like the fig leaf in one hand while the dagger is being held behind the back in the other.

That is all the more reason to go........discussion between rational people that disagree is WAY more important than discussion between a bunch of people that already agree,,,,

Everyone, always andnever are words that should rarely if ever be used.......

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MudCamper wrote:

Well said.

I was also pretty stoked about this event, and while I didn't plan on carrying, I thought it was a great show of faith that Oaklander was willing to have strangers carry concealed in his house. Now this is a gun-free gun-related event, which makes me think back to the gun-free gun show which was talked about in Nordyke and which everybody laughed at. I can't help but think that any anti's would love to know about how we don't even want people carrying guns on our own property. Why should we expect businesses to welcome us in when we can't even do the same for people who support our cause?

Also, a significant number of the OCers have stood down after being requested to do so. Some of them haven't. But we're all getting equal amount of flak for a bill being introduced, which is totally lame.