• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gif to a MD resident

led for breakfast

imported post

can some one help me on this

can i legally give to one of my friends in md a hand gun as a gif? no cash at all!!

-he is not a felon

-he already has about 20 guns and

-he is over 40 years old

the Virginia code only forbids the SALE of guns between states

but it does not mention gifts from friends

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If he lives in Maryland you have to go through an FFL there. Federal law says no interstate sales except via FFL. You can take it with you to the FFL in Md and do the transfer. Just make sure ahead of timethe FFL is OK with accepting a firearm from a non-FFL.

It's not the money thing, it's the interstate commerce - which hasn't meant selling in decades.:cuss: It simply means stuff moving across a state line.

Don't put yourself and your friend in jeopardy of jail time.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This isn't meant as insulting so don't take it that way. (Important disclaimer:uhoh:)

It always amazes me that people ask for advice on the internet, that they ask if they can break a law on a public forum and that people give advice that may be true, but is counter to what most thinking people do.

May you give a friend In Mary Land a gun without going through an FFL..No! It's illegal:banghead:

We recently had someone ask the same question about giving one to his father in Florida... No, It's illegal.:banghead:

That's the correct answer..

Now on to the real world news.

Did you know that it is a felony to wear a dust mask in public in Va without an affidavit from your Doctor. (Some exceptions)

Funny, I see old folks wearing them in the summer to keep polllen out. How come the prisons aren't full of those evil felons? I can only guess.

I wonder if they asked if they could commit that felony on the internet? :cuss:

wylde007

imported post

Just recently I had a friend of mine "accept" a firearm (shotgun, I believe) from a friend in N.C.

I advised him that it would be in his best interest to go ahead and have it lawfully transferred from N.C. to VA. We went back and forth (not argumentatively, more from an academic perspective) about the possible ramifications and he finally came to the conclusion that $30 was well worth the cost to avoid a federal entanglement somewhere down the line, as unlikely as that may be.

Yes, it's stupid. But, it's the "law" and, like so many other "laws" we may find infringing and interfering (like CHP licensing, for interest) we voluntarily comply in order to remain law-abiding. None of us can do our respective movements any good at all locked up in the federal pokey.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Did you know that it is a felony to wear a dust mask in public in Va without an affidavit from your Doctor. (Some exceptions)

(counting the seconds before someone throws that 4 letter c word out there....no no, the other 4 letter c word.)
18.2-422

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Just recently I had a friend of mine "accept" a firearm (shotgun, I believe) from a friend in N.C.

I advised him that it would be in his best interest to go ahead and have it lawfully transferred from N.C. to VA. We went back and forth (not argumentatively, more from an academic perspective) about the possible ramifications and he finally came to the conclusion that $30 was well worth the cost to avoid a federal entanglement somewhere down the line, as unlikely as that may be.

Yes, it's stupid. But, it's the "law" and, like so many other "laws" we may find infringing and interfering (like CHP licensing, for interest) we voluntarily comply in order to remain law-abiding. None of us can do our respective movements any good at all locked up in the federal pokey.
I gave my son in law a shotgun a few years ago. He is........u....unusual and wanted to have it registered..even though Va doesn't have registration.

I'm generally known as thoughtful so, I took it back:lol:

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
(counting the seconds before someone throws that 4 letter c word out there....no no, the other 4 letter c word.)
18.2-422
Seems like as long as you are doing something that could be reasonably seen as "dusty" (like yard work, or cleaning), exception (ii) would apply:

(ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons;
Now last Halloween we had a kid (well over 16) show up at our youth group wearing one of those full-head monster masks, and he had some fun with it, but later on when I pulled him aside and mentioned that he was technically committing a felony, and that he probably didn't want to wear it outside of our little group, you should have seen his eyes get big! :shock:

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
18.2-422
Seems like as long as you are doing something that could be reasonably seen as "dusty" (like yard work, or cleaning), exception (ii) would apply:

(ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons;
Now last Halloween we had a kid (well over 16) show up at our youth group wearing one of those full-head monster masks, and he had some fun with it, but later on when I pulled him aside and mentioned that he was technically committing a felony, and that he probably didn't want to wear it outside of our little group, you should have seen his eyes get big! :shock:

TFred
(iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device.

How about just walking or trying not to catch flu.
A doctors prescription isn't enough. It has to be an Affidavit.

I had to remind one of the staff at the General Assembly last week, that the anti flu mask was illegal.

Bow hunting...maybe they should exempt CHP holders:lol:

There isn't an exception to the police either. All the cops that wear Blaclava's during raids are in violation.
Bad law just to feel good about keeping the Klan in check, which is where it started.

chp-1.jpg

Anyway...The point was that unless you're in a coma, it's impossible to go a month without committing a felony.

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
18.2-422

TFred
(iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device.

I had to remind one of the staff at the General Assembly last week, that the anti flu mask was illegal.

There isn't an exception to the police either. All the cops that wear Blaclava's during raids are in violation.
Bad law just to feel good about keeping the Klan in check, which is where it started.

Anyway...The point was that unless you're in a coma, it's impossible to go a month without committing a felony.
I think exception (ii) is broad enough to cover just about anything like that.

"... protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons"

Doesn't say who has to do the "deeming", and doesn't restrict "physical safety". One could easily argue that covers flu germs or ... whatever it is that raiding cops are trying to protect themselves from.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
18.2-422

TFred

I think exception (ii) is broad enough to cover just about anything like that.

"... protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons"

Doesn't say who has to do the "deeming", and doesn't restrict "physical safety". One could easily argue that covers flu germs or ... whatever it is that raiding cops are trying to protect themselves from.

TFred
Are you willing to bet a felony conviction on it, because it is Very speculative? The argument is why put in exception IV if II was intended to cover it.

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Are you willing to bet a felony conviction on it, because it is Very speculative? The argument is why put in exception IV if II was intended to cover it.
Well I guess it depends. If there was a new disease outbreak, and "everybody" was doing it, then yeah, I'd probably be willing to risk it, but generally, probably not, but I don't have any legitimate reason to need to do so either.

I suspect the law was written well before the SARS scare came along, and exception (iv) was made because someone in the law-making process said "Hey, what about sick folks?" and that was how they decided to accommodate.

I would imagine if a law-maker were to be made aware that this law did not cover short lived SARS or flu-type epidemics, they might modify it to do so.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I would imagine if a law-maker were to be made aware that this law did not cover short lived SARS or flu-type epidemics, they might modify it to do so.

TFred
It was created during the Byrd administration Fred. Va was the Lynching capitol of the country (Google the word Lynchng) and Byrd wanted to look better.

A rash of laws were enacted.

Lawmakers are made aware of this every year includibng this one. As much as I like and get along with McDougle, he introduced a stupid ass amendment to it this year. Not what I wanted, but an exception to medical in the case the Governor declared a state of emergency.

I don't care about that! I can stay far enough away from people that it doesn't bother me or my family. I care about some Gung Ho Game Warden while I'm hunting:uhoh:

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

TFred
It was created during the Byrd administration Fred. Va was the Lynching capitol of the country (Google the word Lynchng) and Byrd wanted to look better.

Lawmakers are made aware of this every year includibng this one. As much as I like and get along with McDougle, he introduced a stupid ass amendment to it this year. Not what I wanted, but an exception to medical in the case the Governor declared a state of emergency.

I don't care about that! I can stay far enough away from people that it doesn't bother me or my family. I care about some Gung Ho Game Warden while I'm hunting:uhoh:
Ah yes, very interesting. The things they leave out of history class...

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:

TFred

Ah yes, very interesting. The things they leave out of history class...

TFred
I've gotten way OT now Fred, but ust incase your search didn't tell where the word Lynch came from and how it concerns Va.

William Lynch (1742-1820).]
Word History: In the late 18th century, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, was troubled by criminals who could not be dealt with by the courts, which were too distant. This led to an agreement to punish such criminals without due process of law. Both the practice and the punishment came to be called lynch law after Captain William Lynch, who drew up a compact on September 22, 1780, with a group of his neighbors. Arguing that Pittsylvania had “sustained great and intolerable losses by a set of lawless men... that... have hitherto escaped the civil power with impunity,” they agreed to respond to reports of criminality in their neighborhood by “repair[ing] immediately to the person or persons suspected... and if they will not desist from their evil practices, we will inflict such corporeal punishment on him or them, as to us shall seem adequate to the crime committed or the damage sustained.” Although lynch law and lynching are mainly associated with hanging, other, less severe punishments were used. William Lynch died in 1820, and the inscription on his grave notes that “he followed virtue as his truest guide.” But the good captain, who had tried to justify vigilante justice, was sentenced to the disgrace of having given his name to the terrible practice of lynching.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Guess I am in violation. Wear a camo face mask at least half a dozen times each season in the duck blinds. Illegal? Bah.
I guess every time I jump on my motorcycle in the cold weatherand wear a facemask to keep the cold wind from turning my face into a popsicle...I'm commiting a felony :uhoh: