• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gif to a MD resident

wylde007

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
I guess every time I jump on my motorcycle in the cold weatherand wear a facemask to keep the cold wind from turning my face into a popcicle...I'm committing a felony :uhoh:
§ 18.2-422 (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons;

TFred wrote:
Now last Halloween we had a kid (well over 16) show up at our youth group wearing one of those full-head monster masks, and he had some fun with it, but later on when I pulled him aside and mentioned that he was technically committing a felony, and that he probably didn't want to wear it outside of our little group, you should have seen his eyes get big! :shock:
Why would you lie to a child? It is generally only illegal for anyone over 12 to go trick-or-treating... and those are ordinanced (locally) not statutory law.

§ 18.2-422 (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes;

and

§ 18.2-422 (iii) engaged in any bona-fide theatrical production or masquerade ball

TFred

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
TFred wrote:
Now last Halloween we had a kid (well over 16) show up at our youth group wearing one of those full-head monster masks, and he had some fun with it, but later on when I pulled him aside and mentioned that he was technically committing a felony, and that he probably didn't want to wear it outside of our little group, you should have seen his eyes get big! :shock:
Why would you lie to a child? It is generally only illegal for anyone over 12 to go trick-or-treating... and those are ordinanced (locally) not statutory law.

§ 18.2-422 (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes;

and

§ 18.2-422 (iii) engaged in any bona-fide theatrical production or masquerade ball
Ah... well it was actually more the Halloween "season", a Thursday, probably the 27th. He was the only one "in costume", spent a good deal of time hanging out in the parking lot, and there was definitely not any theatrical production or masquerade ball going on. :)

TFred

wylde007

imported post

I think the "season" could be reasonably portrayed as being "Halloween", otherwise the Easter Bunny at the mall could be arrested unless it's actually "Easter".

A Halloween Party is, in essence, a Masquerade Ball. I can't tell you how many Halloween Parties I've been to where I was the only one who bothered to dress up.

The "mask" thing is likely a more "accessory" charge that can make your life more difficult, like wearing body armor in the commission of a felony. The cops aren' going to give you too much trouble unless you're loitering outside a store (potentially casing) or driving a vehicle where such mask would impair one's peripheral vision and likely endanger other drivers.

The kid may have shown poor judgment. That doesn't make him a felon, per-se.