• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOCer's carry weapons without the training

eraseallhope

imported post

I'm getting tired of all these people and politicians sayin we carry weapons and have NO training...

That is bull... I bet you I shoot my weapon more often than most police officers...
AND I spend a hell of a lot of money to shoot where "they" want me to shoot... I can't just drive in the desert and shoot anymore.

So what do you guys do to keep your accurancy up to par?

I usually do an hour of dry/unloaded unholster and presntation
Along with dry fire drills, just to keep up with my trigger pull, make sure I'm squeezing and not pulling the trigger.

When I'm on the range I like to work up my adrinline a bit, take a short jog and come back to the lane, aim and fire, trying to keep a tight grouping under simulated stress.

When I do get to get go out to the desert, I like to do shootin on the move, forward and back wards.

But yea, my point is...

I make gun safety and training a regular habit...
Its like bike once you learn you never forget... but the more you practice and put in time.. the more you learn and the better you get.

So screw anyone who says we are untrained.. I'm sure we all train in our own ways...

Feel free to tell us what drills you like to do at the range

slowfiveoh

imported post

As a combat veteran US Army Rifleman, I feel my training is equal to, or superior to the majority of LEO's, including some of those in SWAT units. In fact, I assure you it is.

I have already witnessed plenty of handling error in many videos of LEO's, which leads me to believe that many receive very poor training, and are not qualified to operate anything beyond their sidearm, due to a lack of general familiarization with firearms.

The FBI has recently released a report that details the true face of LEO firearms qualifications, and the unfortunate truth associated with the average officer, which is that many do not do anything more than the annual qualification. I assure you, that once a year is not enough whatsoever, to maintain firearms proficiency. I absolutely promise you that!

This is unfortunate.

Furthermore, with the lack of...:

Impact Body Armor including Kevlar Helmet
APC for Transport
A selection of canisters
Breaching tools
Fully automatic or burst-fire rifles (M16A2/M4)
Long Range engagement rifles (SPR)
Grenades

...one can see that an open carrier does not in any way, shape, or form, qualify as "Having all the firepower of a SWAT team"! The statement is a blatant, unfounded, and heavily inflated lie. End of story.

It is absolute ignorance, arrogance, and presumptive stupidity that one should believe those trained to handle firearms is "only the police".

There is one Golden rule of firearms safety, that is "so easy a cavedude could do it".

Do not draw your weapon, and keep it on safe, UNLESS you or others are in mortal danger.

I am sure it takes a well-trained idiot, to understand this common rule.

Edit: I am not stating how "awesome" I am, or any such ignorance. I am bringing to light that LIKE ME, there are many law abiding firearms owners across this nation who frankly have superior training, or firearms experience, when compared to the standards put in place for Law Enforcement Agencies.

The qualifications for law enforcement are so low, that I have far greater confidence in my law abiding "firearms friends", without question.

Army

imported post

Most of the people that are "like me", I have met on the range and/or shoot/compete regularly with.

Which instantly puts all of us well ahead of the majority of LEO.

....and light years ahead of any anti.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

The first time I shot a gun I was six years old, I started regularly shooting when I was about 12. Nowadays I go to the range at least once a month, some times as much as every weekend and when I'm at the range I never shoot less then 150 rounds. So on average I go twice a month and shoot at least 300 per month. That would be a minimum of 3600 rounds a year. I would consider that well trained.

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hello everyone,

I am very thankful for this forum. Any time I come in I find something that I should be reading either because it is just interesting or to get in touch with others point of view.

As a matter of training lots of people with a minimumtraining manage to safelyuse firearms in selfdefense. I would not recommend this but it does work.For those of us with the benefit of years of military training we must still reinforce. I have a good friend who has no formal training but has been shooting longer than I and expends more ammo than I when we shoot and he will out shoot me any time.

When those who don't really know what they are talking about talk about training they fail to recognize that a rookie cop has less firearms training within his probationary period than a private does going through basic training.

I am for lots of manipulation drills. First maintain it, then holster it then draw and unfortunately load and fire. my point being the same as many of those posting here. Many of usare as well trained as LE or betterand are a heck of alot better than our would be adversary.

yelohamr

imported post

I was in LE for 28 years. Both as a Marine and civilian law enforcement, including SWAT, as a sniper.

I'll soon be 64 years old and I OC everyday and don't intend to stop anytime soon. I've had more training than most LEOs on duty today and I go to the range 2 or 3 times a month, shooting at least 300 rounds every trip.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

IPSC, ICORE, IDPA. Wouldn't recommend competition tactics in the street, however. I'm not in competition now, but even casual competition like I do requires 12,000 up rounds per year. Too much to pay for so I reload.

Having been a range safety officer for three SF Bay area ranges, I think we have to be honest that not everyone with a firearms is a good candidate for carry of any sort. A whole lot of people are clueless even about basic safety items like muzzle control. That is the reason people get called out by the Range Master.

I have no problems with a certain amount of training being required. Most clubs require that much for competition carry. I would not want a price tag or location issue preventing anyone from having access, though.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Once a week at the ONLY indoor (and no outdoor) shooting range allowed in my city and county here in North Carolina. About 100 rounds of target range ammunition. Typically at 7 yards using a C-1 Target sheet (small target, as compared to a full silhouette). Sometimes I'll do the full silhouette at 10 or 15 yards. 20 and 25 yards if one of the extended range lanes are open. I do very well.