• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eligibility Certificate

Tazman2

imported post

So I think I want to play it safe and get one on top of my permit. The state website lists getting a application at any state police barracks. So I assume I pick one up and take it home and fill it out and then bring it back or do I fill it out there, etc.? If I recall you guys mentioned that telling them that since I had already done the background paper work for my permit I mention that to them but how do I go about proving my identity so I don't have to get re finger printed etc? License and permit or? Thanks for any info! :)

Edward Peruta

imported post

Just Thinking,

Contact Sgt. Douglas Hall, Executive Officer of the firearms unit and ask him what you will need to do to acquire the Eligibility Certificate if you are currently in possession of a valid Permit to Carry.

He may agree that Positive I.D. and background check may not be required.

Sgt. Hall should be very helpful with any questions on your desire to obtain a backup.

Here is his contact info: doug.hall@po.state.ct.us

Please tell him that I told you to ask.

Let's hope that the DPS can find a way to help with the administrative processandsimplified same for those who already possess current VALID Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Also you have to go to DPS headquarters on Country Club Rd in Middletown CT. You cannot get EC's at the pistol permit issuing barracks.

I tried at Troop G in Bridgeport. Blank looks were plentiful and was told to call Middletown which I did and they said "come on in" They didn't even take a picture of me as they already had one from my carry permit. I got the EC in the mail a week or two later.

Tazman2

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Also you have to go to DPS headquarters on Country Club Rd in Middletown CT. You cannot get EC's at the pistol permit issuing barracks.

I tried at Troop G in Bridgeport. Blank looks were plentiful and was told to call Middletown which I did and they said "come on in" They didn't even take a picture of me as they already had one from my carry permit. I got the EC in the mail a week or two later.
Care to outline from the start including what you brought for a ID, etc.? Did you fill out the app there? Was it short? etc. If I can just go there during the week then I'd be able to do it soon! Thanks! :)

GoldCoaster

imported post

Get a copy of the form (its the same for carry permit) and fill it all out. Take your check for the requisite amounts and the proper forms of ID and go to DPS HQ.

If you don't have a permit already you will be fingerprinted which they will do right there for $5 or $10 - I forget but it's not much.

They will also take your picture at the counter.

If you don't have a permit already, they do the background check and if all comes back good they will mail you your EC.

What is the point? Well there are a couple. Lets say you get accused of doing something stupid that causes the suspension of your permit, with an EC you can still purchase a pistol etc just not carry it until the suspension hearing gets your permit restored.

We in the CCDL discussed this with Ed Peruta and I took it upon myself to "go through the motions" so I could have real-world experience to advise others. We were using the EC as a sidestep around the local issuing authority imposing excessive delays for fingerprint appointments. The thought being if you went through the no-wait EC route with DPS you could then go to the local issuing authority and say "DPS has done a background check on me and found me to be identified and not a prohibited person, all that remains now is suitability which I'd like your department to determine that I am suitable to carry pistols and revolvers" No delay waiting for background and fingerprints all that needs doing is the police chief or mayor or first selectman to sign off on the suitability. If they REFUSE to do it, that's a denial, which you then take back to DPS and say "I was denied by my local issuing authority for no cause" and DPS (BPFE can determine that you were unreasonably denied and issue you a state carry permit anyway).

I hope that clears up any questions as to the how and the why.

ESCH

imported post

Does anyone know from experiencehow long it takes the DPS to issue a EC for someone without a pistol permit (meaning full process?)

What is different from the suitability check the DPS does for an EC and the suitability check a local authoity does for a permit to carry pistols and revolvers? Or, are they the same?

If the same, how can one justify the difference in time the local authorities take vs. the state DPS? Is the DPS that much better at doing the same job? This could also be usefull in proving gross abuses ofdue process violations.

gluegun

imported post

Suitability is not a requirement of the EC. Therefore, if you are not a prohibited person and your background check comes back clean, they must issue you a certificate.

ESCH

imported post

Isn't determining if you are not a prohibitive person and determining wether or not you clear the background check determining "suitability?"

gluegun

imported post

Suitability as it relates to the Permit to Carry is not defined in statute. There was a very old CT Supreme Court case that defines what suitability is generally. I'm not in front of a true PC so I can't provide it now, but I'll find it later. The determination of whether you are prohibited by statute is only one aspect of 'suitability' and is independent of the 'suitability' clause of the statute.

gluegun

imported post

Suitability as it relates to the Permit to Carry is not defined in statute. There was a very old CT Supreme Court case that defines what suitability is generally. I'm not in front of a true PC so I can't provide it now, but I'll find it later. The determination of whether you are prohibited by statute is only one aspect of 'suitability' and is independent of the 'suitability' clause of the statute.

ESCH

imported post

When I used the term "suitabile" I wasn't refering to any technical definition. Simply "allowed to obtain" per background check.

What is the difference in the "background" check between a pistol carry permit and an EC? Aren't the requirements the same as I would imagine they are? I cannot see an instance where the state would allow you to buy a gun and bring it home but not allow you to "carry it." So I would assume the criteria to be the same. I may be wrong. That is why I am asking.

Leverdude

imported post

ESCH wrote:
Isn't determining if you are not a prohibitive person and determining wether or not you clear the background check determining "suitability?"

Nope, should be I think but its not. If you'v never been convicted of a crime but the issueing authority has reason, real or imagined, to think you might be unsuitable to carry based solely on his/her opinion they can deny you.
Kind of a screwy way to do things but thats how it is.
I'd think that if a person could buy a gun & pass NICS the permit could be simply sold over the counter like a hunting license. Course I'm not in the business of imposing fee's, justifying bureaucracy and generally overcomplicateing things.

ESCH

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
ESCH wrote:

Nope, should be I think but its not. If you'v never been convicted of a crime but the issueing authority has reason, real or imagined, to think you might be unsuitable to carry based solely on his/her opinion they can deny you.
I'd think that if a person could buy a gun & pass NICS the permit could be simply sold over the counter like a hunting license. Course I'm not in the business of imposing fee's, justifying bureaucracy and generally overcomplicateing things.
So what you are saying is, if" issueing authority has reason, real or imagined, to think you might be unsuitable to carry based solely on his/her opinion they can deny you." but for the same reasons they cannot deny your EC?

ESCH

imported post

So if I get it now,

The state can issue you an EC and allow you to go to a gun shop and buy the gun of your choice. Allow you to buy as much ammo as you want and keep it in your house. They have no reason to deny you that. They fully trust you will keep it and use it lawfully,but there is no way in hell they will allow you to put the same gun in your pocket and walk 20 feet out to the mailbox in front of your house because you are a danger to society?

That is where we are with the difference between EC and carry permit?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Somewhat correct.

The only difference in obtaining either a Permit to Carry or an Eligibility Certificate is the issueof the local issuing authority determiningSUITABILITY.

Permits to Carry applications originate with and issued by local issuing authorities and Eligibility Certificates are applied for and only issued by the Department of Public Safety at their headquarters in Middletown.

A Permit to Carrymay be seized or revoked by DPS forincidents that may reflect on your "SUITABILITY" to carry a handgun or the various and obvious other reasons such as restraining orders, protective orders or at risk warrants. all of which involve suitability.

Eligibility Certificates on the other hand may only be seized or revoked for Disqualifying criminal events or following the issuance of a court ordered At Risk Warrant under Section 29-38c of the Connecticut General Statutes. Protective or Restraining orders may also be cause for the temporary seizure or revocation, I will have to do more research.

Any arrests or convictions for NON DISQUALIFYING events DO NOT seem to justify the seizure or revocation of Eligibility Certificates.

Possession of a valid Eligibility Certificate during the period that a Permit to Carry is revoked, does NOT appear to prevent the ability to purchase or possess handguns.

I will have to do more research on the mailbox issue. But for the fact that most mail boxes are located within the public right of way and NOT on private property seems to make your statment correct. I am unaware of any law that requires a person on his own or leased property from carrying a firearm openly in a NON threating manner.

I could be wrong but that's the way I read and interpret the law.

Leverdude

imported post

ESCH wrote:
Leverdude wrote:
ESCH wrote:

So what you are saying is, if" issueing authority has reason, real or imagined, to think you might be unsuitable to carry based solely on his/her opinion they can deny you." but for the same reasons they cannot deny your EC?

The issueing authority is different. This bypasses the locals.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The initial reason to apply for and receive an Eligibitity Certificate is the time it takes from application to issue. Connecticut law allows local issuing authorities to waive the fingerprint and background checks for Permits to Carry if you have the date and location where they have previously been taken

A newly minted/issued Eligibility Certificate submitted with an applicaiton for a Permit to Carry is proof positive to the local issuing authority that you have been recently fingerprinted and had your criminal history checks done by DPS.

Ther are tomany local issuing authorities are causing unecessary delays in making decsions on issuing or denying Temporary local permits to carry.

Together with the other benefits, this is the fastest way to force local issuing authorities to get moving on applications.

The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners understands this concept.

ESCH

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
Somewhat correct.

The only difference in obtaining either a Permit to Carry or an Eligibility Certificate is the issueof the local issuing authority determiningSUITABILITY.

Permits to Carry applications originate with and issued by local issuing authorities and Eligibility Certificates are applied for and only issued by the Department of Public Safety at their headquarters in Middletown.

A Permit to Carrymay be seized or revoked by DPS forincidents that may reflect on your "SUITABILITY" to carry a handgun or the various and obvious other reasons such as restraining orders, protective orders or at risk warrants. all of which involve suitability.

Eligibility Certificates on the other hand may only be seized or revoked for Disqualifying criminal events or following the issuance of a court ordered At Risk Warrant under Section 29-38c of the Connecticut General Statutes. Protective or Restraining orders may also be cause for the temporary seizure or revocation, I will have to do more research.

Any arrests or convictions for NON DISQUALIFYING events DO NOT seem to justify the seizure or revocation of Eligibility Certificates.

Possession of a valid Eligibility Certificate during the period that a Permit to Carry is revoked, does NOT appear to prevent the ability to purchase or possess handguns.

I will have to do more research on the mailbox issue. But for the fact that most mail boxes are located within the public right of way and NOT on private property seems to make your statment correct. I am unaware of any law that requires a person on his own or leased property from carrying a firearm openly in a NON threating manner.

I could be wrong but that's the way I read and interpret the law.

Here is what I read.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28.

"Within" would mean inside. So if you are in your ownbackyard with an EC and a gun you are a criminal. Forget the mailbox, that would be curbside and public right of way like you said. Surely that would endanger everyone, but inside your home standing right in front of the picture window you can carry all you want and everyone is safe. The State says so because they issued you an EC! There is nothing for anyone to worry about because you are fully trusted with the right you have. Walk out the door and you become a menace to society who cannot be trusted with the same responsibilities. They must believe bullets cannot travel through the glass of your picture window.

These laws are so rediculous and stupid. It truly is sickening to think people believe they live safer lives because this nonsense is written in books. Like I said, standing in your picture window everyone is safe, standing in your vegtable garden, picking tomatoes and the balance of good vs. evil has tipped in favor of evil!