• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eligibility Certificate

hciaffa

imported post

Sorry not being naive but I have a question. What is an Eligibility Certificateand is it neccesaary to have one. What does it do for you?

Edward Peruta

imported post

http://www.ctgunrights.com has some information on this topic.

An Eligibility Certificate allows you to purchase firearms and walk out with the handgun the same day.

The requirements to get one are the same as a Permit to Carry minus the SUITABILITY factor.

The time it takes to have one issued is far less than people are experiencing with Permits to Carry from local issuing authorities.

I recommend applying for and obtaining the Eligibility Certificate prior to making application for a Permit to Carry and submitting a copy of same with any application for the Permit to Carry. It proves that you have no disqualifying arrests and have been previously fingerprinted for a Criminal History Background Check.

To each his own, but I suggest that each be obtained.

buketdude

imported post

It really depends on your town as well..I will say that Windsor gets them done in a very timely manner...2-3 weeks..which just goes to show you how quick they can be done..I know people who have gotten permits in Enfield, Windsor Locks, Granby, Somers, East Granby, Ellington, East Windsor, Bloomfield, Stafford...I have never heard any complaints...although I think Bloomfield was a 7 week wait...

I don't know about other parts of the state..

hciaffa

imported post

I have a permit already so do you recommend I get the cetificate as well? Do you apply at the local level or at the State Police barracks.

Tazman2

imported post

Well I went today and I must say that Ed is making "friends" at the DPS! I will send him a PM about the specifics as I don't feel good about just posting it here. Feel free to PM him if you know him, etc! Its a hoot!

Edward Peruta

imported post

To all who are following this post,

There is a logical and justified reason to apply for and possess an Eligibility Certificate in addition to a Permit to Carry.

I'm not suprised that individuals workingfor DPS have no concept of the laws or understanding of the reasons why both are valuable to owners of handguns.

I am suprised thatthecomments and opinions made by the public employee weremade to a member of the public.

The issue has been discussed, shared with and is being looked into by the appropriate people.

Just another day in paradise!!

Edward Peruta

imported post

I believe that Connecituc Eligibility Certificates are issued exclusively to Connecticut Residents.

There is no need to obatin a certificate if you are not a resident.

If you have a permit to carry issued by the State of Pennsylvania then you may wish to consider a Non Resident Connecticut Permit to carry.

The Eligibility Certificate is recommended for those who are applying for or currently possess Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

northstar65

imported post

" Windsor gets them done in a timely manner...2-3 weeks.Broomfield....7 weeks " ???? With computers these days a NCIC check can be done 2-3 HOURS. More details please...how much does the EC cost? How long is it valid?

buketdude

imported post

northstar65 wrote:
" Windsor gets them done in a timely manner...2-3 weeks.Broomfield....7 weeks " ???? With computers these days a NCIC check can be done 2-3 HOURS. More details please...how much does the EC cost? How long is it valid?
From what other people have gone through..i think 2-3 weeks is timely in CT...My true belief is you should not need a permit or background check to buy or carry a handgun..but thats another story..haha.....I believe the EC is valid the same time length as permit and costs the same..i am sure someone else will follow up.

GoldCoaster

imported post

The EC was not doubled in cost like the carry permit was so it's still $35 and it lasts as long as the carry permit does (5 years) before you need to renew it.

I agree with you too, if you're not prohibited you shouldn't need a permit to carry at all, it would be slick to be a Vermont style state.

I'd like to see the spineless trolls up in Hartford enact a 10th amendment legislation like the other states have and come up with an exemption from federal BS for firearms manufactured and sold in the state. We have some of the best manufacturers right here in CT!

Edward Peruta

imported post

Question.

I own a pistol, I own or rent a home and I own a business.

I have the right to carry my pistol in my home and I have a right to carry my pistol in my business.

How do I get my pistol between the two places I'm allowed to carry?

I believe that the prohibition of carrying a pistol on my own property will never stand a legal challenge in the State of Connecticut.

We are fortunate to have a Constitution which specifically addresses this situation.

It's only a matter of time before countless issues are submitted to the courts for a new look at what is and is not permissible.

gluegun

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
I believe that the prohibition of carrying a pistol on my own property will never stand a legal challenge in the State of Connecticut.

I agree with that. Like Atty. Baird said, carrying in your own home isn't carrying, it's merely possession.

Leverdude

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Edward Peruta wrote:

I agree with that. Like Atty. Baird said, carrying in your own home isn't carrying, it's merely possession.

But what of outside your home on your property? If I remember it right that is prohibited by statute.