Thread: Sales recept??

Post imported post

Does anybody offhand know who to contact to determine whether my pistol sales receipt has reached the proper people in the state of Michigan so that I can throw my copy it out without having to worry about it ?

Post imported post

You don't throw those out... you keep them in a safe place.

As for checking on whether it is properly registered you can do so for a 1.00 charge at the cop shop that you turned in the paperwork to.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Not quite correct, but your advice is sound as far as keeping a copy for your records.
    That's another one of the quirks in the registration laws and makes it so hard to trace any registered gun. You are neither required to prove you sold the gun, nor to whom or when you sold it. The trace trail stops there. But to CYA....I keep all my records.

Pistol Sales Record Retention
    warchild44spcl@yahoo.com
    Mr. Brewer,
    With regards to the Pistol Sales Record, MCL 28.422a states that the:
    "seller may retain 1 copy of the record." Nothing in the statute requires the seller to keep a copy of a sales record.
    Sincerely,
    Sgt. Thomas Deasy
    Michigan State Police

Post imported post

I misunderstood and for some reason was thinking that he was checking on a gun he registered.

You cannot check on a gun that someone else registred.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Yes, that was his question which you answered correctly, spend a dollar and find out. I was merely showing that you are not required to save receipts after the 30 day time limit. I just wanted to cite the info before someone started a flame job.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    Yes, that was his question which you answered correctly, spend a dollar and find out. I was merely showing that you are not required to save receipts after the 30 day time limit. I just wanted to cite the info before someone started a flame job.
    I prefer not to mail but hand carry into and requesting date time stamp plussignature of recipient .

Post imported post

It seems that the state would mail some sort of confirmation of this. Thanks for you help with this.