• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sales recept??

EDA50

imported post

Does anybody offhand know who to contact to determine whether my pistol sales receipt has reached the proper people in the state of Michigan so that I can throw my copy it out without having to worry about it ?

autosurgeon

imported post

You don't throw those out... you keep them in a safe place.

As for checking on whether it is properly registered you can do so for a 1.00 charge at the cop shop that you turned in the paperwork to.

WARCHILD

imported post

Not quite correct, but your advice is sound as far as keeping a copy for your records.
That's another one of the quirks in the registration laws and makes it so hard to trace any registered gun. You are neither required to prove you sold the gun, nor to whom or when you sold it. The trace trail stops there. But to CYA....I keep all my records.

Pistol Sales Record Retention
warchild44spcl@yahoo.com
Mr. Brewer,
With regards to the Pistol Sales Record, MCL 28.422a states that the:
"seller may retain 1 copy of the record." Nothing in the statute requires the seller to keep a copy of a sales record.
Sincerely,
Sgt. Thomas Deasy
Michigan State Police

WARCHILD

imported post

Yes, that was his question which you answered correctly, spend a dollar and find out. I was merely showing that you are not required to save receipts after the 30 day time limit. I just wanted to cite the info before someone started a flame job.

taxwhat

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Yes, that was his question which you answered correctly, spend a dollar and find out. I was merely showing that you are not required to save receipts after the 30 day time limit. I just wanted to cite the info before someone started a flame job.
I prefer not to mail but hand carry into and requesting date time stamp plussignature of recipient .