Thread: OC while on motorcycle

Post imported post

Just a quick question but wouldn't a motorcycle constitute as transporting? Or is it considered non-concealed since the vehicle itself does not block the view of the weapon? Just wondering how much of a grey area this is as my state does not allow for OC during transport. I know the laws are specific of transport and quote the fact that a weapon in a vehicle is concealed to some degree. Just wondering how it all applies to motorcycles.

Post imported post

Hello Cobra 469

I do not have the WI code to review, so all I can reply to and comment on is the AL code.

A license is required to carry a concealed handgun on the person or IN a vehicle.

Motorcycle carry in AL w/o out a license to carry would have to be open carry. Open carry is not restricted in AL for a person on foot or ON a vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Post imported post

Nice thought. Here in WI we don't have CC but I will try to review the laws to see if it pertains to "in" a vehicle or if it is more generic terminology that is more open to interpretation by the local LEOs.

Post imported post

<3 Virginia
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

t33j wrote:

<3 Virginia
    That's just beautiful! I am all for it, I would bet the look on a police officer's face would be priceless if they saw that, let alone some anti-gun advocate.

Post imported post

tekshogun wrote:
    t33j wrote:

<3 Virginia
    That's just beautiful! I am all for it, I would bet the look on a police officer's face would be priceless if they saw that, let alone some anti-gun advocate.
    It's a life goal of mine.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

in wisconsin a motorcycle has to follow the same rules as a car.

as far as where to put the encased firearm, your options are, saddle bags, cargo rack, backpack or under the seat like on some sport bikes.

there is that whole gray area about having a vehicle "open in plain view in a vehicle" (can't remember how/where that's listed, but it was discussed in another thread on here not to long ago. maybe somebody could post that for us), and i believe that on a motorcycle that would be much easier to do.
    for example you could perhaps fasten the firearm to the forks, handlebars, or the rear cargo rack, but i'm still looking into that and see what i can come up with. i don't quite think Wisconsin is ready for that yet though.

Post imported post

Cobra469 wrote:
    Or is it considered non-concealed since the vehicle itself does not block the view of the weapon?
    It's still a motor vehicle, & your weapon has to be 'unloaded & encased' - no (loaded)
    magazine in the gun, no bullet in the chamber, & inside something so every bit of the gun
    is completely out of sight.

I would argue that putting the encased pistol in a tank bag would be plenty 'nuff, as I go by
    the spirit of the law - can't get to it while driving / riding. To be extra safe, it'd be best to
    put it in your tank bag, or in a bag strapped to your seat or tail rack.

So what do you ride?

Krysta,
    who spends most of the year on 2 or 3 wheels...
    BMW R65, R1100,& R1200 w/ sidecar
    Looking forward to washing the salt off the roads!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.