• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another reason why Gun Free School Zones are stupid

YoZUpZ

imported post

Yes, I know it is legal for CCW permit holders to carry guns in Utah schools, but this can still be used as a example why the federal GFSZ laws are retarded...

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9510731

January 29th, 2010 @ 9:26pm
SALT LAKE COUNTY -- SALT LAKE CITY -- A 34-year-old teacher was gunned down Friday afternoon outside a Salt Lake County Head Start school.

Police originally believed it may have been a random shooting, but Friday night they learned the women knew each other, and the shooter had gone to the school to confront her victim.

Just after 3 p.m., Unified police say 34-year-old Tetyana Nikitina finished up a training class at a Salt Lake Head Start school near 300 East and 3900 South. After she got into her car, investigators say 70-year-old Mary "Nance" Hanson started shooting at her.

"It appears there were multiple rounds fired, and she had ammunition to reload," said Unified police Lt. Don Hutson.

Co-workers and others who heard the shots immediately called 911. Then, dispatchers received another disturbing call.

"As we were responding, we actually received a call from a woman who identified herself as the suspect, someone [who] had just shot a woman," Hutson said. "When questioned about why she shot the woman, she said, ‘I don't know, and that's all I'm going to say.'"

Police said this was not a random act -- Hanson knew Nikitina and targeted her. Investigators are not going into detail on the connection between the two but said it was not through the school.

Hanson was booked into jail on homicide charges, and thus far has said little to detectives.

"It's very bizarre," Hutson said.

Officials at the school describe Nikitina as patient, genuine and sweet. Originally from the Ukraine, she had two kids, ages 7 and 9, and was working at Head Start as an assistant teacher.

Co-workers say Nikitina was working toward a degree in early childhood development with the hope of one day being a lead teacher -- a dream stopped short outside her own school.

Head Start officials said they've received several panicked phone calls Friday night. They want families to know that they will be contacting them over the weekend to set up home visits on Monday.

Head Start will also be providing mental health counseling for those who need it.

MEvolver

imported post

I think everyone reading this thread needs to visit youtube and watch a NUTNFANCY video called "gun free, death pay". He talks about these GUN FREE ZONES, or what he calls "free fire zones" because of how easy it is for the bad guys to walk into these GUN FREE zones and freely open fire on innocent folks, who have been stripped of their rights to protect themselves anytime - anywhere! Trust me, it's worth 15 minutes of your time.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Why doesn't the media say; "The drunk driver who killed a whole family is Licensed Driver!" When a CFP holder commits a crime with a gun the first thing they write is the "gunman/woman is a CFP holder? :banghead: As to say, see I told you it is dangerous to give people a permit to carry a gun, but we know that this sick in the head woman would have shot her permit or no permit.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
it's to bad the victim died and choose not to carry a firearm it could have saved her life.
Yes, a gun could have saved her life, but it sounds like the shooter surprised her and would have shot her anyways.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Brings up a great point situational awareness not only for gun owners but for citizens. It is critical you know what is going on around you at all times.

Taking the time to look around and look for potential problems. Having a back up plan or a just in case plan. Role play in your head if this happens I will do this .......

I catch myself falling into the same routine everyday taking the same route home everyday. Telling myself I am just going outside to get the mail I don't need my firearm.

A great example

On the Morning of September 18th 2006 0450 I was getting ready for work I was on my porch when I saw a set of headlights coming down my neighbor's lawn towards my fence facing West.

A 2001 Chevy Z71 full size SUV came through my fence totaled my motorcycle and my car. Upon approaching the drivers side the passenger ran down the street carrying his beer with him. Myself and my neighbor detained the driver until the police arrived.

The driver was intoxicated and easy to hold until the passenger came back with 3 Other large Polynesians. The driver and a passenger from the red car assaulted me and took the driver and drove off.

You may ask where was my firearm tucked safely inside my duty belt inside the house. The damage to my jaw was over 75,000 one surgery later and a implants I learned my lesson.

Thanks

Zach