• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC News CH-7 Tonight 5pm: UOC Story from Antioch

Livermoron

imported post

EDIT - of course I meant "set your DVRs" Ooops..

Hi All,

San Francisco based Channel 7 (KGO News) came out to visit a group of us practicing UOC in Antioch at the Starbucks Coffee. Several members of the pubic and at least 2 UOC'ers were interviewed.

There were about 16 UOC folks that showed up for the Saturday morning UOC coffee meetup. East Bay Open Carry and Bay Area Open Carry "members" were present.

Several people in the public were asking questions (handed out several UOC tri-folds) and I think at least some positive statements were made on camera. Let's see how much makes it to air...

Carry On!

Livermoron :cool:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

nomidlname wrote:
I don't get any the the Kalifornia channel's. Can some one please post a link to vid when availableplease?

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=7248503

Here we go with the attacks on competence.

I dont think it particularly helps that the participants that are viewed are exclusively male aged 35-45. Granted, there was racial diversity, but someone out there who cannot readily defend themselves needs to attend. Specifically women, children, and those with a handicap ( ie: wheelchair bound, amputee, etc.)

Showing up with your family will also take some of the steam out of CPK's assertion that visable guns will have some adverse effect on children and families. I also think someone should contact pink pistols and see if some of their membership- particularly the ladies-and see if they would like to make a stand for gay rights to self defense...

With as much media as UOC is getting, we need to drive home the point that those who cannot defend themselves are worthy of carrying a gun. Right now, this is not what I see and I dont believe it is effective in winning hearts and minds.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Gundude wrote:
We is "SUPERHEROS" The Brady bunch are soooo lame.
The Brady Bunch cannot communicate in anything but emotional pleas. Facts are like kryptonite to those people. For the record, I have never planned on taking a bullet for anybody but my loved ones. So the chances of that are near zero, coincidentally, the chances of me shooting somebody randomly on the street are also near zero. Not that the Brady lady meant that, but you gotta point out the few times when they could possibly be correct.

chewy352

imported post

I have this unshakable urge to UOC while wearing a Brady shirt. :DPlease some one help me through this disturbing thought.

Gundude

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
I have this unshakable urge to UOC while wearing a Brady shirt. :DPlease some one help me through this disturbing thought.
Go with it! Don't fight the feeling :what:

yelohamr

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
The Brady Bunch cannot communicate in anything but emotional pleas. Facts are like kryptonite to those people. For the record, I have never planned on taking a bullet for anybody but my loved ones. So the chances of that are near zero, coincidentally, the chances of me shooting somebody randomly on the street are also near zero. Not that the Brady lady meant that, but you gotta point out the few times when they could possibly be correct.
In the grocery store today, a woman customer noticed I was carrying and asked if I was going to shoot someone. I told her, "No, I'm onmy lunchbreak." She laughed.

JJ

imported post

My friend who is one of the managers at the Starbuck's in Antioch emailed me and asked if I had seen the news coverage regarding the meet-up there this morning.

I responded I had not, as I was at work, but emailed back and asked what the chances were that their corporate office would change their policy on UOC due to all the recent coverage. Below is the copy and pasted reply I received.

"My district manager rushed to my store & contacted all the corporate people... Current stance is that as long as it's legal (which it is) & as long as they do not disrupt Starbucks business (which they didn't), they are just normal customers and are welcome in our stores... PS... they were very friendly and respectful of all my partners and customers this morning. " :lol:

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
In the grocery store today, a woman customer noticed I was carrying and asked if I was going to shoot someone. I told her, "No, I'm onmy lunchbreak." She laughed.
LOL

Livermoron

imported post

Another day of uneventful UOC in Livermore and Antioch; except for another ridiculous assertion by the Brady Bunch via the media...

For the record (yeah I was the guy in the green shirt and sun glasses) I did not ever say, in my nearly 10 minute interview, that I would take a bullet for someone or that I was going to Starbucks, or anywhere for that matter, to provide protection to the business or to others. I also DID state that I cherrish the rights we all enjoy as Americans and that I respect the property rights of others. I also made it clear that I support the rights of all individuals to speak freely and without fear of reprisal, just as I would hope that others would support the right of individuals that choose to Open Carry... Wishful thinking? Maybe.
Clearly, the Brady Bunch can just pull a load of... stuff, out of their hind ends and blab it into a camera as fact. The claim that an open carrier, or "Super Hero" as we are now called,;) is likely to put a bullet in an innocent bystander is just completely unfounded. In California - THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED.

SIDE NOTE: I like the ideas some of you other folks here on the forum have had regarding hijacking the Brady slogans for shirts - GO FOR IT :celebrate!!!

It would have been nice, I know wishful thinking again, if ABC-7 would have used some of the other comments I made on UOC. I am sure that the Brady Bunch will continue to get more than equal time in the media to spout their nonsense, distortions, and outright lies :cuss:.

ALL: When confronted with a microphone while practicing UOC always try to make clear points that will convey facts and a positive message. Understand that your several minutes of conversation with "XYZ reporter" will be hatched down to 3-4 seconds to fit an agenda that you can be sure is not positive on UOC. Some might say, "just don't talk to reporters." That might be a good thing in some respects, but then the only message getting out to the public is the usual negativity of groups like the Brady Bunch. Individuals that can make use of their reasoning skills when watching the "news" will be able to pull out your positive and truthful statements and process them appropriately.

As is often said, "keep your head on a swivel" and carry on!

Livermoron :cool:

Cameron

imported post

Gundude wrote:

Yeah definitely. I notice they didn't allow any of the BAOC members to respond to that statement. Cause an easy response would be: "Sure, we're not superheroes... Neither are the police."

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Gundude wrote:
How about a T shirt with "Open Carriers against gun violence"
And a cape!:celebrate
I'm going to have to nix the cape idea right now. It could possibly conceal the sidearm if it happened to drape over it.
Was about to suggest a mantelet, but I think only women are supposed to wear those.