• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JS story on Concealed Carry

Lurchiron

imported post

Now there's a pair to draw to.

Shouldn't you boys be finger-painting or something constructive at this hour?

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:

I agree. he had stated it was an error so let that lay where it was. we should be together not bantering each others questions. which reminds me, ONCE we have CCW in wisconsin the fight is far from finished. the big boys in DC need to be reminded constantly of the fact this is a Free country. we can not fall alseep at the wheel after CCW passes. writing our senator and congresspersons needs to continue.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lurchiron wrote:

Just because your the perfect troll, gives you NO right to pick on others on this forum. Are you an adult or a child.

Lurchiron

imported post

Me thinks that maybe you should try some of the very medicene that you're trying to dispense. Here's a spoon use it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
Me thinks that maybe you should try some of the very medicene that you're trying to dispense. Here's a spoon use it.
You do know that your trolling is being seen by others & it is not very constructive or appreciated. Why don't you positively add to this forum instead of cutting people down like your pal Doug.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
what is SCOTUS???

S: scorpio_vette

C: constantly

O: offers

T: these

U: unwanted

S: statements

SCOTUS

did you come up with that all by yourself, or did your mommy help you with that??? you sound just like the retard on craigslist that's constantly starting trouble. on any other forum you would have been banned already. apparently the people on this forum are much more tolerating of your mentally challenged existence than most others.

WIG19

imported post

Cobra469 wrote:
But an argument, being made by Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn and District Attorney John Chisholm, makes sense to us. It would, because none of the three under discussion are trustworthy.
The state should have this law if it is truly part of a larger package that includes closing the gun show loophole, no such thing
making it a felony to act as a straw buyer10yrs in prison and $250,000 fine, dimwit. WTH is that, a misdemeanor on a Mark McGwire cocktail? and also a felony to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. Way too overarching and would require a finding that goes way beyond other criminal behavior of with more violent consequences. Good luck.
Law enforcement officials feel that their hands are tied.Only those that are into power for its own sake.
We all should be willing to live with concealed carry (yes, you should) if it is part of comprehensive firearm reform and if prosecutors are given the ability to severely punish those illegally carrying guns. Dang, you were making progress...
In other words, the trade-off is worthy if also included are tools that, as Flynn describes it, make it just as dangerous for folks to carry illegal guns as they think it is to go without them. Insanity proved as a defense on behalf of JS Editorial staff.
In Wisconsin, it is illegal for a felon to be in possession of a firearm. But for a non-felon, the offense is most often a misdemeanor. That's the distinction in the law, idiot.
It's clear: Something drastic needs to change in the state to make people rethink carrying handguns. In certain areas of the city, gunshots can ring out at anytime because of a perception that, on the streets, carrying a gun is simply a matter of necessity. Not in my town, but I do what I have to do.
Of course, such a new law won't make all bad guys rethink guns. No, this isn't a glimmer of hope for the JS Editor. And if concealed-carry legislation is crafted, it should be done with reasonable access for law enforcement to the database so they can know who's carrying; to the public so it can gauge whether the law is resulting in more death or injury; should mandate adequate firearms training for permit holders; and retain private property owners' abilities to restrict guns from their premises (particularly bars). With exception of the whining public access by the hand-wringers, the last 2 PPA's addressed all those things.
Annotations above in bold.

I once met a young power-crazed VoPo officer in Magdeburg (or Leipzig, I forget which). I'd swear that after the wall came down he's emigrated & taken up residence in Milwaukee.

Remember that the only reason people like Flynn try to legislate behavior is because they don't yet have the wherewithal to take it fromyou at the point of a gun. I will have nothing to do with anything proposed by that fascist POS.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

The JS Article was the topic on the Jerry Bader show this morning. I had the occasion to call in twice during the conversation. It would seem the consensus is that this whole she-rad is nothing more then a ploy to get the pro gun people to compromise before the SCOTUS decision comes down in March.

Stand strong do not compromise! If these idiots are trying to offer us something now, there is a reason for it. That reason is that after SCOTUS hands down their decision we will not have to compromise.

CCW and OCW will both be legal without question, without permits, without fees, without mandated training.

DO NOT COMPROMISE! CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS AND TELL THEM TO VOTE NO ON ANY LEGISLATION IN THIS MATTER!

We can and will win this war!

And don't forget to support the GFSZ lawsuit!

Carry On!
Molon Labe!

pkbites

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Stand strong do not compromise!

AMEN!

J.Gleason wrote:
CCW and OCW will both be legal without question, without permits, without fees, without mandated training.
Uh...:question: Where are you getting this? What indicates that the SCOTUS ruling will push things that far in our favor?

WIG19

imported post

Might be due toassumptions about incorporation of the 2A in a post-Heller world. IMO it will depend upon how verbose (or not) the majority decision gets.

KansasKraut

imported post

Speaking of the case before SCOTUS to which we're all referring (McDonald v. Chicago), I found something interesting. Check out what Wikipedia has to say about an amicus curiae (friend-of-the-court, i.e. outside opinion) brief that was submitted to the court:

Thirty-three amicus curiae ("friend of the court") briefs for this case have been filed with the Clerk of the Supreme Court.[15]
One of these briefs was filed by U.S. senators Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R, TX) and John Tester (D, MT) and U.S. representatives Mark Souder (R, IN) and Mike Ross (D, AR) asking the Supreme Court to find in favor of the petitioners and rule that the Second Amendment does apply to the states.[16] The brief was signed by 58 senators and 251 representatives, more members of Congress than any amicus curiae brief in history.[17]

The bold portion is my own highlight. That bit about Congressional support... Good God, is that a glimmer of hope for our democracy I feel inside? :shock:

Heres the address to the Wikipedia article for those who want to see it for themselves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._Chicago

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

pkbites wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Stand strong do not compromise!

AMEN!

J.Gleason wrote:
Uh...:question: Where are you getting this? What indicates that the SCOTUS ruling will push things that far in our favor?
Why do you think they are willing to compromise now?

WIG19

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Why do you think they are willing to compromise now?

I'll play, but am sure you know the answer. Might have something to do with what comes after October but before December of this year. They can go out & say, "Hey, I signed the Amicus brief for..."

Check the list starting on pg. 50 of their filing.

;)

WIG19

imported post

BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
wow feingold sensenbrenner petri all siged thats good.

Not surprised at Petri; Kohl notably absent (again no surprise). Ron Kind has already been on the record before saying he doesn't understand why WI doesn't have a shall-issue law since the hype in past years by the opposition has been completely disproven. Unfortunately, these are legislators at the Federal level and, while good for the SCOTUS effort, don't have a dog in the fight inside their own borders.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

After the March decision the legislators will all be scrambling for new legislation on gun control but it will be even harder for them to pass anything. That is why they want to do it now.

Never compromise.

Here is the transcript if DA Chisholm's last interview in November of 2009.

Shepherd: You recently proposed a firearm reform package that includes a concealed carry permitting system. As a prosecutor who has long been concerned about gun violence, why would you want to allow concealed carry in the state?
Chisholm: The package that I am advocating for is based on 10 years of really focused firearm violence prevention strategies. The reality is that Wisconsin’s CCW [carrying concealed weapons] statute, 941.23, has always been one of the most overbroad and constitutionally challengeable statutes in the country. At the same time, it’s been paired with one of the weakest penalties for committing the offense of CCW. So you’ve got really the worst of all worlds.
Shepherd: How did that happen?
Chisholm: The [DA’s] office made the improvident decision to prosecute a gentleman named [Munir] Hamdan back in 1999, before I took over as team captain of the gun unit. Hamdan was a store owner who had a gun underneath his store counter, and when the officer went [into his store] and found the gun, he brought him in to prosecute for CCW.
That implicated the Wisconsin right to keep and bear arms amendment. In the Supreme Court decision, the court upheld the constitutionality of the CCW statute, but barely so. What [the court] basically said was [that the Legislature] needs to start looking very closely at this law and figure out what [it is] going to do with this in the future. But what we’ve done is nothing. So we’ve been living on borrowed time. And that time is up now.
Shepherd: Why is this so urgent?
Chisholm: That time is up because of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in HellerDistrict of Columbia v. Heller, decided in 2008, which overturned a gun ban in Washington, D.C.], which I believe will now be reinforced by McDonald v. Chicago [a case the Supreme Court will hear early next year, which challenges the constitutionality of state or local gun regulations]. We are truly living on borrowed time. [
Shepherd: What should the state Legislature do?
Chisholm: I want certain things out of the Legislature right now that would make our community much safer. The reform package I’m looking for is threefold: One is we need to regulate what I call stranger-to-stranger gun sales. That means that anytime a person wants to permanently transfer a firearm to another person, they ought to be doing so through a licensed dealer so that we can do background checks and make sure that the person can own a gun.
Shepherd: How would that system work?
Chisholm: That means with reasonable exceptions—the most common being if you want to transfer a grandfather’s heirloom rifle to his grandson or granddaughter—that it would have to be brokered. … Then you would get that transaction brokered through a dealer so we can make sure that the person getting the gun isn’t prohibited from having a gun. We’d also make it a felony offense for people to make straw purchases of guns for other individuals.
Shepherd: Why do you believe background checks are so important?
Chisholm: It’s as simple as this. Under the current system a person can walk into a store, purchase a gun, walk outside the store and say, “I don’t like the color of this gun,” and they can give it to whoever they want to give it to and there is nothing illegal about it as long as they know that person isn’t prohibited, which is impossible to prove, and if they know that the person is of legal age to possess a gun. As long as they can make a good-faith assertion to that, there is nothing that I can prosecute.
I hear people say I should more aggressively prosecute these sales. But the problem is that the law is so incredibly open. If people actually know their rights it would be virtually impossible to prosecute someone. They can say, “Yes I bought that gun and I intended to keep it for myself, but I went home and realized that it was a sort of improvident decision to buy a gun so I decided to sell it and use the money to buy food for my kids. So I went to my neighbor and I took $50 off and I got $300 back.” That would be an unprovable case [for prosecutors].
Shepherd: What’s the second reform?
Chisholm: I want to make concealed carry a felony offense. In order to do that you would have to create some form of a permitting system so someone could legally carry a concealed weapon and those who did [illegally carry a concealed weapon] would face felony consequences.
Shepherd: Why should concealed carry become a felony offense?
Chisholm: Now [as a misdemeanor] you could get caught 100 times and you could still walk into a gun store and buy a gun. From my perspective, we prosecute 350 to 400 people every year for carrying concealed weapons. Every single one of those individuals would be prohibited from owning a firearm in the future if it was a felony offense. I said, make it 25 and older. You can’t get a CCW permit until you’re beyond the silly stage. And you’d have to pass background checks and get trained. You can quibble over the standards of use for the permit system. But I know from my experience that we would get more out of a felonized CCW statute than we would from a misdemeanor statute.
Shepherd: What’s the third part of your proposal?
Chisholm: We need to incorporate all of the federal prohibitions that exist right now on possession of a firearm by people who have been adjudicated for mental illness or domestic violence. Or if they possess any ammunition, which is a key point. The thing that does the damage is the bullet. Under the federal system, if you are a convicted felon, you cannot possess ammunition. If you incorporated the federal prohibition into state law it would be perfect. Then I think we would have model legislation for the state. This is an opportunity to engage people and create a package of legislation that could make Wisconsin a national model.
Shepherd: What would happen if the state Legislature doesn’t act on these reforms?
Chisholm: I’m going to make a prediction right now because I don’t know if we have the will and the foresight to do this but I predict that nothing will happen and that Chicago vs. McDonald will hold that the Second Amendment is incorporated into the 14[sup]th[/sup] Amendment [and call into question other state and local gun laws]. Then 20 seconds later the NRA will file a challenge to [Wisconsin’s concealed carry statute] and they will win. And at that point in time we will be left with no CCW and no regulatory scheme at all. That’s what I think will happen.
We’ve sent such deeply contradictory messages to people on firearms over the years. I have found it frustrating and other prosecutors find it frustrating. What we need to do is to come up with a comprehensive package of firearms reforms that would satisfy everyone’s major concerns. It’s doable. It’s an achievable goal if we just focus on what’s best for the state.
Shepherd: One major source of guns ultimately used in crimes and of “straw purchases” of firearms is Badger Outdoors, based in West Milwaukee. How does law enforcement ensure that the store’s right to sell guns doesn’t harm public safety?
Chisholm: I’ve always been fair and balanced with Badger. I’ve always acknowledged the good things that they’ve done and their work with law enforcement. What I’ve become increasingly concerned about in recent years is that they are engaged in a business practice, a deliberate business model, that makes it easy for people to quickly transfer guns to the illegal market.
If I were sitting behind that counter there would be a list of maybe ten questions that I would ask any potential customer. This would be based on my own familiarity of firearms and the law and the way they get into the illegal market. I would ask questions that would very quickly let me know whether I have a legitimate purchaser or someone who was intending to get rid of that gun fairly quickly and has no intention of keeping it themselves. They are experts in the field. It’s their business. They know everything there is to know about firearms and their accessories and what would be a good indicator of a straw purchases.
The other thing is that other licensed firearms dealers don’t have near the number of crime guns that Badger has. Some of them sell high-end stuff and have a different clientele, but the reality is that in our experience they are much more proactive in stopping what they see are suspicious sales, and asking that next question.
“You say you want a 40-caliber high-point semi-automatic? Why do you want that gun?” “Well, I want it for something.” “That’s great. Do you want a holster too? We offer training. We have courses for $100. Do you want some training?” “No I’m not interested in training.” “Do you have kids in the house?” “Yeah, I’ve got kids in the house.” “Really? And you still don’t want training?” “No, I don’t want training.”
These are the questions they should be asking and they could very quickly assess whether that person has any intention of keeping that gun. I’m convinced that some of them don’t ask those questions. They just ask what the customer wants and if they have the money and whether they have any criminal convictions. Then give them the gun. But that’s not being a good public citizen.
They’re making their living and raising their families on the proceeds that they do engage in a legitimate business. They ought to consider themselves part of this community and be a good public citizen, just as we ask other businesses [to do so]. They derive benefit from the people of Milwaukee and they ought to have an obligation to those people as well.
Their business practices are resulting in cops being shot and a high proportion of their guns being used in homicides. They ought to be asking what they can do to change their practices to make them a better citizen of this community.
Shepherd: Have the recent police shootings made Badger’s owner Adam Allen more aware of the need to change the store’s business practices?
Chisholm: We get lip service. Only time will tell. But I think he’s on notice that our patience is being exhausted on this. We’re so deeply concerned about what we’re seeing. Clearly the tone of our discussions with him have changed.

This is proof that they only want us to compromise because they know they are going to lose come March 2010.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
The JS Article was the topic on the Jerry Bader show this morning. I had the occasion to call in twice during the conversation. It would seem the consensus is that this whole she-rad is nothing more then a ploy to get the pro gun people to compromise before the SCOTUS decision comes down in March.

Stand strong do not compromise! If these idiots are trying to offer us something now, there is a reason for it. That reason is that after SCOTUS hands down their decision we will not have to compromise.

DO NOT COMPROMISE! CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS AND TELL THEM TO VOTE NO ON ANY LEGISLATION IN THIS MATTER!

We can and will win this war!

And don't forget to support the GFSZ lawsuit!

Carry On!
Molon Labe!
i was listening to Jerry when you called in. good job.:dude: