• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Chippewa valley

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We have been attending the Expo in Eau Claire. We had a very knowledgeable landlord come and talk with us today. Although he seemed to have a very good handle on things, he seemed to think that OC in Eau Claire would be met with resistance and citation from LEO. He suggested a family restaurant where one might have diner while carrying but was pretty much of the opinion that going there on a Saturday evening would result in interaction with LEO.

We did not go to the restaurant looking for or expecting LEO interaction, but rather because the gentleman stated the food was REALLY GOOD. Four members of Wisconsin Carry, Inc. enjoyed a good meal and a friendly environment. There was no interaction with LEO and no issues with the restaurant personnel either.

The next time you are in Altoona, stop at the Altoona Family Restaurant. Good food, for a good price, and they didn't have a problem with OC either.

Thank you to the gentleman you suggested the restaurant.

Carry On

Pyro01

imported post

I live in the Menomonie area, and I don't open carry around my apartment because I am well within 1000 feet of a few schools and public buildings. I haven't been following the forums too much lately, did something change with the 1000 foot school zone rule?

protias

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I have OC'ing in Eau Claire since the begining of January. Mostly in Wal-Mart,Menards and Gander Mountain on the south east side along with several Kwik Trips. I think Menards might even be under the jurisdiction of Altoona. I have also been in Farm-n-Fleet in Chippewa Falls/Hallie many times. I have been to the customer service desk at Farm & Fleet and Menards a couple of times each to return things. One time at Menards, I had brought the wrong receipt. The pretty little thing behind the counter ask if I used a credit or debit card. I said yes. She said no problem, walked me to the other side of this entrance to a machine where you can swipe your card and it gives you a list of the purchases you made, just pick one and it will reprint the receipt for your. She got a look a my sidearm and she did not even flinch. No change in demeanor, facial expression or body language. I think she might have even been a little, what's the word I am looking for? Impressed / Turned On. Just a little. Or maybe it was just my wishful imagination.

Only one time since the first weekend that I OC, that I got a little nervous about was when I took my kids to see a movie at Carmike Theatre in Oakwood Mall. Oakwood Mall has a no gun policy. But technically, the Mall was closed. The closed at 9:eek:o and we went to see a 9:30 movie. Although the Mall was closed, one still has to enter the Mall at the Food Court entrance to even get to the theatre. There was quite a few people that saw it and yet no problem.

There are quite a few places that I do frequent not as often as Farm & Fleet, Menards, Wal-Mart and Kwik Trip, but have not yet since I started to OC all the time.

I have dined at Jade Garden. Also at the Altoona Family Restaurant with bnhcomputing, Shotgun, Serpent and my son after working the Wisconsin Carry booth at the 2010 Northern Wisconsin Whitetail, Outdoor & Ice Fishing Expo.

I have only had that one incident with a misinformed Wal-Mart Manager that I posted as a starter thread. After spending time with bnhcomputing, I think that I am getting well versed for the debate.

So far, I think Eau Claire is a pretty friendly OC area, but it may be a little to early to tell. The true test will come if someone calls the police BEFORE they approach me. I have yet to have an encouter with a LEO. Knock on wood.

Down here in Trempealeau County, I OC nearly every day at Kwik Trip after work. The County Courthouse and Sheriff's Department is right across the street. A couple of conversation about it, but no issue. There is acashier/night managerthat does not like it. She was the first person to even mention I had a holstered gun. I explained it to her and she is still very uncomfortable with it. She told all her coworkers and a County Deputy about it, how it makes her uncomfortable. I heard that she told the Deputy that it is very intimidating to her. The Deputy just responded, Yes, some people are intimidated by it. After that, she won't talk to me. The rest of them are still quite friendly. Just the other morning, there was a man in desert camo fatigues that was shut putting a lid on his capachino when I was coming up behind him with my chocolate milk and gas station bananas. I paused to let him go first out of respect for a man in combat uniform. The teller I know motioned me to come up to the counter. I said that I was going to let him go first. She knew him, I did not. While she was weighing my bananas and scanning the milk, she asked him what he was off to do. Indoor Firearms Training responded. She make agesture towards myfirearm and says, "You too?" As I am digging out cash, I responded, "No training, I just O-C, where ever I can legally (I did not mean to rhyme, but it worked) in memorial for all the women who have been victimized, to educate that This is legal for self defense, and to fight for Conceal Carry so they can carry them in thier purses". I wanted to add the end of that statement, "If they want to be more feminime about it. But I think a firearm on a womans hip is quite sexy." But I did'nt. I got a big enough smile and an affirming nodding head out this 4'11" cashierfrom what I did say.

Well, I should quite writing. I am usually not quite the chatter bug. More so for a good debate.

I will post more OC experiencesin the Chippewa Valley as theoccur. Not surejust where the Chippewa Valley begins or ends, so anything in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, I suppose.

CARRY ON!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I have OC'ing in Eau Claire since the begining of January.....

While she was weighing my bananas and scanning the milk, .... She make agesture towards myfirearm and says, "You too?" As I am digging out cash, I responded, "No training, I just O-C, where ever I can legally (I did not mean to rhyme, but it worked) in memorial for all the women who have been victimized, to educate that This is legal for self defense, and to fight for Conceal Carry so they can carry them in thier purses"....
What a great response and what a terrific ambassador you are for OC! Maybe next time you carry you could have some pamphlets with you to let interested people like the checkout person find out more information; and then she could share it with her friends.

Dave

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

davegran wrote:
BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I have OC'ing in Eau Claire since the begining of January.....

While she was weighing my bananas and scanning the milk, .... She make agesture towards myfirearm and says, "You too?" As I am digging out cash, I responded, "No training, I just O-C, where ever I can legally (I did not mean to rhyme, but it worked) in memorial for all the women who have been victimized, to educate that This is legal for self defense, and to fight for Conceal Carry so they can carry them in thier purses"....
What a great response and what a terrific ambassador you are for OC! Maybe next time you carry you could have some pamphlets with you to let interested people like the checkout person find out more information; and then she could share it with her friends.

Dave

Thank you for the compliment. I am hoping that more peolple will post their experiences in the Chippewa Valley.

I have been working on editing it slighly. There are some small things that Logan put on it that I do not agree with, or if I agree, feel it would be prudent not to have it on there.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

davegran wrote:
Maybe next time you carry you could have some pamphlets with you to let interested people like the checkout person find out more information; and then she could share it with her friends.

Dave
I like this particular version of the pamphlet because it says right up front in no uncertain terms that open carry is legal in Wisconsin.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I was in Eau Claire again today. First time that I went into Best Buy at this location. I finally decided to pick up a digital audo recorder. I got one that will play mp3 as well. So now I have the uncoolest ipod. The reason that I wanted to get it now was that I was going to go inot Scheels at the Oakwood Mall for the first time since I bought my firearm there. Oakwood Mall has a no gun policy, and I did not know if Scheels leased the space or if the owned thier space or if they and thier customers were subject to these restrictions. I wanted a recording of any incidents.

But back to Best Buy for now. I would like to comment on the the letter that bnhcomputing recieved from coporate about thier employees being retrained. After my experience at the Onalaska and now the Eau Claire location, I think I have an idea aobut what that retraining consisted of. <<<First, when you spot an OC customer, engage them right away, help them find what they want so they can be on thier was as quickly as possible, after one employee has assisted them and they do not head for the register, another employee will engage them. We do not want our other customers to be uncomfortable, they will be best at ease, if they see an OC customer that is engaged in converstaion with an employee, rather than a OC customer wandering around the store, which be be percieve by some as a BG casing the store.>>>

Now to Scheels. Absolutley no incident, only oportunities. My son and I were hanging out in the archery section and had been assisted by two employees already, when a third walks right up to me and says, "So, exercising you right, eh??'' We had a great conversation with afew people well within earshot. He seems pretty young to me, but states he is from Calif. and spent 4 years in the Marines Infantry Divsion, I think he said. Well, he really wants CC in Wisconsin. I explained to him how joining Wisconsin Carry is the best way to see that happen. I directed him to this forum as well. I had to bring it to an end after ahwile. I did not want him to get in trouble for BSing with a cusotmerfor too long. From my perception, I can guarantee he will join. I would count today as a success.

Now to Wal-Mart, the Manager that I had the incident with last weekend, was all friendly today, like we have known each other for a long. Well, that is kind of true. He was my boss, when I worked at Wal-Mart Dist. in Menominee Friday through Sunday back in 96. When I mentioned it, he said I thought you looked familiar. Great Rapport now. I want to see if I can turn him on to OC.

CARRY ON!

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I have OC in Oakwood Mall twice now. First time, cruised threw the Food Court to get to the movie theatre. Second time, went to Scheels, then my daugher wanted to do some mall shopping. Walkd up from one end to the other. There is a kid play area. Sat there for 20 minutes while DD was in Claires. Security walkded by me twice, did not notice. What impressed me was that NOONE called securtiy or the cops.

phred

imported post

Is this Eau Claire ordinance still on the books? I am not familiar with the Eau Claire are so I don't know exactly where all of the places that you're OCn actually are. In the city proper or outlying areas?

Eau Claire[/b] [/b]
9.32.040 Possession of firearms--Public buildings, business establishments and public areas.
A. "Law enforcement officer" means any person employed by the state or any political subdivision of
the state, for the purpose of detecting and preventing crime and enforcing laws or ordinances and who is
authorized to make arrests for violations of the laws or ordinances he or she is employed to enforce.
B. No invitee, except a law enforcement officer acting in the scope of his or her employment, shall
have in his or her possession, carry or bear any firearm within any publicly owned building or business
establishment open to the public within the city.
C. This section shall not be construed to prohibit the sale, purchase or trade of firearms by a retail
business establishment doing so in the course of its regular business in accord with state and federal law, nor
to hinder a prospective customer from attempting to buy, sell or trade firearms to or from a retailer.
D. This section shall not apply to a law enforcement investigator, watchman, guard, security or
military personnel who are permitted by law to carry or bear a firearm, when acting in the line of duty.
E. This section shall not apply to the carrying or bearing of a firearm in a bona fide firearm safety or
training course or practice firing held at a location approved by the chief of police or other governmental
agency. Disapproval of a location by the chief of police may be appealed to the city council.
F. No person, except a law enforcement officer, may carry a firearm on any city street, sidewalk, alley
or other city property (other than locations prohibited under this section), unless it is unloaded and enclosed in
a carrying case.
217-1 (Eau Claire 6/2006)
G. The chief of police may exempt a particular location from the prohibitions contained in this section
for the purpose of conducting an exhibition, gun show or otherwise bona fide activity. Applications for such
exemption shall be made in writing at least 30 days prior to the scheduled event, and may only be granted
where the public safety is not jeopardized. The chief of police may attach certain conditions to any approvals
granted under this subsection. Disapproval by the chief of police may be appealed to the city council. (Ord.
4921, 1989; Ord. 4738 §1, 1987; Ord. 4488 §2, 1984; Ord. 4420 §2, 1984; Ord. 4327 §4, 1983).

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

phred wrote:
Is this Eau Claire ordinance still on the books? I am not familiar with the Eau Claire are so I don't know exactly where all of the places that you're OCn actually are. In the city proper or outlying areas?

Eau Claire
9.32.040 Possession of firearms--Public buildings, business establishments and public areas.
A. "Law enforcement officer" means any person employed by the state or any political subdivision of
the state, for the purpose of detecting and preventing crime and enforcing laws or ordinances and who is
authorized to make arrests for violations of the laws or ordinances he or she is employed to enforce.
B. No invitee, except a law enforcement officer acting in the scope of his or her employment, shall
have in his or her possession, carry or bear any firearm within any publicly owned building or business
establishment open to the public within the city.
C. This section shall not be construed to prohibit the sale, purchase or trade of firearms by a retail
business establishment doing so in the course of its regular business in accord with state and federal law, nor
to hinder a prospective customer from attempting to buy, sell or trade firearms to or from a retailer.
D. This section shall not apply to a law enforcement investigator, watchman, guard, security or
military personnel who are permitted by law to carry or bear a firearm, when acting in the line of duty.
E. This section shall not apply to the carrying or bearing of a firearm in a bona fide firearm safety or
training course or practice firing held at a location approved by the chief of police or other governmental
agency. Disapproval of a location by the chief of police may be appealed to the city council.
F. No person, except a law enforcement officer, may carry a firearm on any city street, sidewalk, alley
or other city property (other than locations prohibited under this section), unless it is unloaded and enclosed in
a carrying case.
217-1 (Eau Claire 6/2006)
G. The chief of police may exempt a particular location from the prohibitions contained in this section
for the purpose of conducting an exhibition, gun show or otherwise bona fide activity. Applications for such
exemption shall be made in writing at least 30 days prior to the scheduled event, and may only be granted
where the public safety is not jeopardized. The chief of police may attach certain conditions to any approvals
granted under this subsection. Disapproval by the chief of police may be appealed to the city council. (Ord.
4921, 1989; Ord. 4738 §1, 1987; Ord. 4488 §2, 1984; Ord. 4420 §2, 1984; Ord. 4327 §4, 1983).
To my knowledge, YES the ordinance is still "on the books." I contacted the Eau Claire city attorney about this back in 2008. He assured me via email that this ordinance CANNOT be enforced and has not been enforced since November of 1995 when it became illegal to do so.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Phred,

The County of Eau Claire has similar unenforceable ordinances as well. I reside in Trempealeau County, so I cannot do anything about it directly. I am pretty confident that they won't be there by the end of this summer though.

To note, the county in which I reside, Trempealeau County, has not one single firearm ordinance. They only enforce WI State Statutues. They get a star from me.

REMSP10

imported post

I have be OC'ing around the Eau Claire, Chippewa/Hallie area past few weeks with nobody even batting and eye. I have been in the following. RCU , Borders, Festival Foods, and Wal-mart.

lance galloway

imported post

REMSP10 wrote:
I have be OC'ing around the Eau Claire, Chippewa/Hallie area past few weeks with nobody even batting and eye. I have been in the following. RCU , Borders, Festival Foods, and Wal-mart.
Wow you went to RCU with all the bank robbery in the past year I have not had the guts to. Did any one see or say anything. And what RCU did you go to. I do all my banking with them so ifOC is ok with them I will.

lance galloway

imported post

Last nite I went to Walmart to do some shoping when I went to checkoutand while in line some walmart worker with a radio in one hand walked right up to me and said how doyou get a permit to carry a gun I told her that you don't need one in Wisconsin and spent 5 mins telling her all about OC and Wisconsin Carry and gave her a pamphlet she said she liked the idea of OC and said she was to going read the pamphlet.

:celebrate

REMSP10

imported post

lance galloway wrote:
REMSP10 wrote:Wow you went to RCU with all the bank robbery in the past year I have not had the guts to. Did any one see or say anything. And what RCU did you go to. I do all my banking with them so ifOC is ok with them I will.
It took me a time or two to work up the guts to do it as well. I go to the RCU in Hallie/Chippewa by the Kwik Trip and KFC on Hwy P. The first time I went in I don't think anyone even saw it until I left. The second time there was a line of customers behind me that saw it. As for the workers I don't know if anyone noticed or not. I didn't see and strange looks but my carry rig is behind my arm so it is easier to see from the back then the front.