• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just need a refresh on when you NEED to show your ID

G

imported post

Michigander wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Just remember that not all cops are like this.
Of course not. But as with most things in life, it's the rare 2% things that will get you, and make you 100% @#$%ed.
And I don't have to shut up & lawyer up to the good ones because they're not the ones that are going to harass me in the first place.

mikestilly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Just remember that not all cops are like this.
Of course not. But as with most things in life, it's the rare 2% things that will get you, and make you 100% @#$%ed.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. :) All of just should be as prepared as possible because you just never know.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Can I make the suggestion that next time we get permission to be somewhere we get it in writing?
IF i set up any more(i feel it may be best to suggest to coordinators now instead) i will be sure to get it in writing or audio/video.

JamesIan

imported post

You definitely don't want to ask if you are being detained. There are two rhetorical reasons why.

Asking if you are being detained does not state or even strongly imply your desire to leave. It merely asks the officer to tell you your status. By contraat, asking if you are free to strongly implies that you would like to be on your way. It is an important difference if you are going to prove in court that you were detained. It will be harder to prove if you cannot demonstrate that you actively sought permission to leave.

Secondly, the detainment question is an easy one for a cop to give a vague answer to. The cop can answer any further inquiries by staring that he already answered your question, even when he hasn't said yes or no.
When you ask if you are free to go, he must either answer you or you may leave. This question forces him to bar you permission or risk having you walk away. You force his hand by making either detain you with words or by moving to make him stop you.

Either way, wash, rinse, repeat.

Never ask him if you are being detained. It's as pointless as asking him if you are about to be cavity searched.

Michigander

imported post

JamesIan wrote:
You definitely don't want to ask if you are being detained. There are two rhetorical reasons why.
snip
Asking if you are being detained WORKS. I have used the question successfully more than once. A sensible cop will say no, because he or she doesn't want to be fired, sued, or prosecuted.

All others will say yes, or as you pointed out, say something vague/stupid like "you're not being detained, but we're investigating you and need to see ID". That is to be taken as a big fat YES. And again, I suggest that this is the time to stop talking to the officer(s), and call 911.

T Vance

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Am I being detained answered with a no means leave. A yes means say nothing else to the cop(s) and call 911.

And a "Am I being detained" without a "yes" or a "no" should be handled like this.

"I'm going to ask you one last time; Am I being detained?" - if they still refuse to answer time to walk away. That should get an answer. Either they will watch you walk away, or they will physically detain you.

Tucker6900

imported post

I saw an interesting question in this thread that I didnt see the answer to. The question was do we have to give our names if asked?

choover

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
I see a lot of chit chat that goes on in most encounters. Why?

I have a right to be represented in any integration by police. Am I not being interegated as soon as I am stopped and demanded to provide ID?

If I am not required to provide ID, then any and all questions presented to me will be responded with "I refuse to answer any questions without the presence of an attorney. Am I free to go?"

And then leave. If my attempt to lawfully walk away is prevented, then that's a different situation. But a physical act on the police officer's part will be necessary to detain me. I will not stand there and comply with an unlawfully order passively.
They dont interegate they interview ;)

G

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
I saw an interesting question in this thread that I didnt see the answer to. The question was do we have to give our names if asked?
I can't answer that for you.

I will only provide my name when I am required to identify myself.